The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It may not be a hydroid. It's those 5 arms/tentacles/whatever they're called which make me think it's higher in the animal kingdom that coelenterates.
Ohhhh thats a really good point. I was thinking I might be thinking to small with hydroids.

I’m sticking by my original idea of a coelenterate of some kind. There are literally thousands of types with multiple numbers of tentacles - and I think it’s in there somewhere! It’s the way it moves......

I feel so sorry for your poor pleco hope you can cure him.

This is just an random suggestion but aren't there some fish meds used to treat things like fungus and ich that are halmless for fish bad but bad for invertebrates and shrimp and snails? You could try one of those and see if it kills the thing. Although plecs are scaleless so not sure if it will be bad for the fish too.......... (don't do this without getting someone elses advice I'm not an expert)

Is it on both sides of the fish?

There have been threads on here about the same thing previously by other people.

We need more information and longer videos showing both sides of the fish.

--------------------
There are no freshwater anemone type creatures that latch onto fish.

When the "tentacles" open, there appears to be a hole in the middle of them. That appears to go through the gill cover of the fish.

Last edited:
I've read this thread. This could be bristles growing if Jamie's pleco is aged around 6 months.
Do you think bristles grow white ?

The reason I suggested Formalin is that in the old days we used it for gill worms in Goldfish. You could watch the worms fall from the fish in seconds. If I remember correctly at about 3% for 30 seconds. @Colin_T did you do this?. I thought it might just give this beast a fright and fall free from the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back