What's new
Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

JamieTYV

Reaction score
Hi,

So I recently noticed some white cotton-ish growth on my male BN, around his gills - started on only one side and then quickly became evident on the other side too. I immediately took some photos and went to my LFS who suggested its probably a fungus (i suspected this!). I purchased some treatment, and checked dose multiple times before treating his entire tank (about 2pm today). Unfortunately on this occasion I was not able to quarantine him.

Tonight (about 8pm-ish) I noticed this on my BN. Struggled to video it, but fortunately did eventually manage! I dont know how I would explain it without a video? (Converted to animated GIF for the forum)

PLEASE PLEASE help with a diagnosis and suggestions on how to best treat him? This does not look good!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0697 (1).gif
    IMG_0697 (1).gif
    10.4 MB · Views: 691
I may very well have this completely wrong - but - the thing on your fish looks (and moves) like some kind of coelenterate. This is an invertebrate group which includes jellyfish, corals and hydras. There seems to be a central mouth with surrounding tentacles which are wafting food towards the mouth. Is it possible that something has just hitched a ride on your fish?
Or do BNP gills usually move like that?

That's terrifying LOL. Anyways, that's really not good. I agree, it looks like you have some other form of life actually growing on the gills of the fish. It looks terrible but I have no idea what's actually happening.
@Colin_T is our disease expert, I don't know what or who else to consult.

no, thats not usual for the gills to be like that, i agree it looks like another organism. I was told he was wild caught, so im sure its more than possible something has hitched a ride.

If you are right - (and i suspect you might be) the next question would be how to get rid of it? I believe these are susceptable to copper so probably a copper treatment will be required!

Also, it appears to be causing him some form of pain. You can see the breathing become rapid and short when it moves. I've never heard of copper treatment, so I'd get another opinion. It's most likely a parasite that it brought in from the wild. I'd get into a quarantine tank asap so that doesn't spread.

Ok, I did some reading on copper. What you are doing is poisoning the parasites, and the fish, but since the fish are in most cases more resilient the parasite dies first. It is super hard to use for treatment, and I have my doubts as to if that weak fish could outlast such a large organism. Unless Colin comes up with something, I'd put the fish out of its misery.

Sorry - no helpful suggestions - I’m a very newbie fish keeper who just happens to be good at spotting coelenterates!
Re. “This is a wild-caught fish“ - in the wild larval forms of coelenterates can be very tiny and float around in the water until they find somewhere suitable to settle down and develop into adults. Sadly, this seems to be on/in your fish’s gills - and there appears to be more than one of them on the outside - probably with more inside. I think it may be facing a slow and very uncomfortable death from oxygen deprivation. Unless somebody comes up with a solution very soon maybe a quick end for the fish would be the kindest thing to do.

Hello @JamieTYV :)
Just to be sure, is "this" only around gills or also inside ?
Could you shoot him closer and clearer ?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back