FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i havent noticed an increase in size and to be fair the BN looks fairly well in himself, doesnt seem to be affecting him a great deal, as far as I can tell
Interesting. I think he is feeling some form of discomfort because in the gif you can see him breathe more rapidly and shallowly when it moves. I stick with my idea that something similar to a freshwater hydroid somehow attached itself to him. I agree with the zoo idea, I have no clue how one would remove or kill such a thing.

Interesting. I think he is feeling some form of discomfort because in the gif you can see him breathe more rapidly and shallowly when it moves. I stick with my idea that something similar to a freshwater hydroid somehow attached itself to him. I agree with the zoo idea, I have no clue how one would remove or kill such a thing.
I agree. His eyes show pain too.

Re. Superglue repairs.....
The giant snail (19cm long shell) fell off the wall onto a concrete floor in front of my class of 6 yr. old children. The shell was in several large bits and the kids were really upset as they had been caring for the snail for nearly a year. The zoo suggested superglue and - apart from sticking the snail shell to my hand during the repair - it was a complete success and the snail lived for another 2 years and produced a lot of eggs.

I agree. His eyes show pain too.
In the photos and the video he was sedated after being treat with phenoxyethanol - this is an effective anti fungal treatment (what we first thought it was, before it visibly started “opening”) and also a known fish sedative. His breathing was laboured as he was very sleepy!

I have contacted “The Deep” in Hull and hope that they will respond swiftly, I have also contacted other places, but I believe “The Deep” could be my best shot. An aquarium of their size and reputation are almost guaranteed to have seen this before (I hope!)

Obviously, I will keep you guys posted!

Oh for f*#% sake, why didn’t I think of this? ?

Oh wow, that's nightmare material right there!
Sorry I'm no help OP, never seen anything like that before, just wanted to ask that you please, please let us know if/when you learn anything, or if a treatment works etc!

The GIF in the OP wasn't loading for me, so I was morbidly dying to see what everyone was freaking out over... I get the horror! OP that must have freaked you out *shudder*. I hope you find out what it is and how to kill it and save your boy soon.

@Colin_T you should definitely see this video. It ain't no fungus...

@Colin_T you should definitely see this video. It ain't no fungus...
Perhaps creature from the black lagoon wasn't so far off! I really hope this turns out well, in the higher quality video, that looks real tough. I still also believe it is in pain, but the medication could also be doing it. Good luck, I think I've provided all I can. I'll continue researching hydriods and see if anything comes up with them attaching to fish or embedding themselves in fish.

In the photos and the video he was sedated after being treat with phenoxyethanol - this is an effective anti fungal treatment (what we first thought it was, before it visibly started “opening”) and also a known fish sedative. His breathing was laboured as he was very sleepy!

I have contacted “The Deep” in Hull and hope that they will respond swiftly, I have also contacted other places, but I believe “The Deep” could be my best shot. An aquarium of their size and reputation are almost guaranteed to have seen this before (I hope!)

Obviously, I will keep you guys posted!
Please do. I am fascinated and terrified at the same time. :)

Re. Superglue repairs.....
The giant snail (19cm long shell) fell off the wall onto a concrete floor in front of my class of 6 yr. old children. The shell was in several large bits and the kids were really upset as they had been caring for the snail for nearly a year. The zoo suggested superglue and - apart from sticking the snail shell to my hand during the repair - it was a complete success and the snail lived for another 2 years and produced a lot of eggs.
I have heard of this before. Glad to know it really works. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back