API General Cure contains metronidazole (treats protozoan infections) and praziquantel (treats flat worms). But it does not treat round worms, you need something containing levamisole for that.
Hmmm okay! My fish do seem to be eating the same as always and swimming the same, do u think that would be considered round worm? The only concerning thing is the poop, I hope I can get a picture of the poop some time soon.
 
The most common round worm is camallanus. With that, when the fish stop moving it is possible to see the worms protruding from the anus - they look like tiny red paintbrush bristles. I do realise that some fish don't stay still at all but if you see them motionless for a couple of seconds see if anything shows. The worms go back inside when the fish is swimming.
 
Okay now turns out the poop is super long and almost transparent, it looks like when you would use a hot glue gun and that string like residue is left over. But it also turns out it’s now my orange fish that is circled, before it was the yellow/black/blue one. They are all eating normally and swimming normally though.
 

Attachments

  • 1EC6AB21-A34B-4EF0-ABC8-DE487B2DFFF8.webp
    1EC6AB21-A34B-4EF0-ABC8-DE487B2DFFF8.webp
    134 KB · Views: 156
  • 8059B5F0-8589-4428-A360-90422B2ABE96.webp
    8059B5F0-8589-4428-A360-90422B2ABE96.webp
    144.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 13985ABE-D55C-4A27-A534-F5FC1F4B5EFF.webp
    13985ABE-D55C-4A27-A534-F5FC1F4B5EFF.webp
    138.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 348D2833-E37C-48C8-B3F3-2560D9EB6094.webp
    348D2833-E37C-48C8-B3F3-2560D9EB6094.webp
    133.6 KB · Views: 138
If anybody could tell what kind of worm this is, I don’t notice any redness in the anus area, I just notice the super thin long poop :(
 
Hi again, I decided to purchase the API general cure, as it treats most worm cases, but now I’m not sure if it’s going to work. It comes Sunday, but now I THINK I’m noticing a red bristle like thing coming from one of my guppy’s bottom. Does this look like a case of camallanus worms? If so I need another medication correct? I also did a deep cleaning today and my fish seem to breathing properly and all swimming actively. The poop isn’t really white at times, sometimes it’s white with brown, or small brown pieces of poop?
 

Attachments

  • 32739BA0-55FE-4292-A21E-48B5AD15C286.webp
    32739BA0-55FE-4292-A21E-48B5AD15C286.webp
    79.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 20F99F42-5947-4BFD-974A-0A6D0F5416E3.webp
    20F99F42-5947-4BFD-974A-0A6D0F5416E3.webp
    106.7 KB · Views: 165
  • A0BD713C-E014-4738-A3F1-2439BE5EDB29.webp
    A0BD713C-E014-4738-A3F1-2439BE5EDB29.webp
    95.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 00175D74-EB67-4343-A5F4-B16C8B6B6A28.webp
    00175D74-EB67-4343-A5F4-B16C8B6B6A28.webp
    124.8 KB · Views: 168
It is hard to see the thread in the photos.

I would use the General Cure when it arrives, but also see if you can find a medication that contains levamisole. Once the General Cure course is finished, do a big water change, run some carbon in the filter then use the levamisole. The two meds should get rid of both types of worms.

A lot of worm meds tell you to repeat the treatment after so many weeks. This is important as these meds don't kill any eggs in the tank so they hatch after the med has been removed form the water and reinfect the fish. The repeat course kills these second worms before they get old enough to lay eggs of their own. Read the instructions carefully to see if General Cure says this.
 
It is hard to see the thread in the photos.

I would use the General Cure when it arrives, but also see if you can find a medication that contains levamisole. Once the General Cure course is finished, do a big water change, run some carbon in the filter then use the levamisole. The two meds should get rid of both types of worms.

A lot of worm meds tell you to repeat the treatment after so many weeks. This is important as these meds don't kill any eggs in the tank so they hatch after the med has been removed form the water and reinfect the fish. The repeat course kills these second worms before they get old enough to lay eggs of their own. Read the instructions carefully to see if General Cure says this.
Thank you! Do u recommend any medication containing levamisole?
 
I don't live in the US so you porbably won't be able to get the meds I know about (eSHa ndx). Other American members may know of one.
 
It's the name of a product that we need; we know that levamisole is the ingredient but don't know what contains it in the US . I don't think eSHa products are sold in the US, are they?
 
I don't know what treatments are available in the US, I just know that more treatments are available there than here, so I don't think you'll have difficulty finding a treatment. Look for a roundworm treatment, and check what the active ingredient in it is before buying. If it's levamisole or flubendazole.

But, your other thread with the pictures, I couldn't see camallanus. That doesn't mean it isn't -you saw the fish in person. Just be aware that these meds mentioned here work against a lot of roundworms, but if your fish has tapeworms, you'll need another treatment as well (usually dosed on different times, not concurrently) like API general cure. You also must do the repeat treatments to ensure you've killed any worms that have hatched after the first dose.

@essjay I think OP has two or three threads about this same problem, would it make sense to merge them so it doesn't get too confusing maybe?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top