FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Izzy_guppy_303

Reaction score
Hello I am fairly new to this forum, I am now a owner of four male guppies. They live in a 6.7 gallon tank and unfortunately I feel like itā€™s my fault for not noticing that when I brought my three new fish to add to the tank one of them was acting odd. Iā€™m talking about swimming by the filter, swimming up and down, pooping inconsistently, hiding a lot, and not really with the other four fish. At first before three fish I had two guppies, they were perfectly healthy and my tank was tested and the levels were all stable. The new fish was sick, he ended up dying the day we got him, I shouldā€™ve cleaned earlier but I waited three days and Iā€™m only cleaning tomorrow. Now one of my old guppies has WHITE SUPER STRINGY POOP, and it has brown?black? at the end!!!!! Please help, I donā€™t know if I should medicate the tank as soon as possible.

White poop means internal infections.
It could be internal worms or internal protozoa or internal bacteria.

1) You can try API General Cure which can treat internal parasites.

OR
2) You can try internal worms medications.

Wormer plus contains Flubendazole.

There are other brands of medications to treat the internal worms which you can ask your fish stores.

You will have to treat for 3-4 weeks to kill any remaining eggs from the worms/parasites.
The eggs will hatch and reinfect other fish in the same tank.

White poop means internal infections.
It could be internal worms or internal protozoa or internal bacteria.

1) You can try API General Cure which can treat internal parasites.

OR
2) You can try internal worms medications.

Wormer plus contains Flubendazole.

There are other brands of medications to treat the internal worms which you can ask your fish stores.

You will have to treat for 3-4 weeks to kill any remaining eggs from the worms/parasites.
The eggs will hatch and reinfect other fish in the same tank.
Thank you so much, I purchased the Seachem Paragurd, I brought it out of panic and I SHOULDVE researched more, but do you think that medication is also too? I heard itā€™s mainly for external infections, but it was recommended on a website that this treatment was good for some internal infections???

@AdoraBelle Dearheart has recently treated her guppies for nematodes. Stringy white poo, particularly on live bearers, is usually the symptom for round/flat worms

Do a massive water change of the entire tank, rinsing off any and all toys, decorations, ect. Use whichever Wormer medication (I'm betting it's worms too) that says it covers worms not "may cover" or covers some - other wise use General Cure. There's no point of putting the wrong thing in so if you can't find it do two water dhanges remember you're deluting the bad guys everytime you do a water change. BEFORE YOU ADD ANY MEDICATION REMOVE ANY CARBON FILTER. Carbon filters will just absorb the medication so it's ruined. Once you are done with the medications and followed any other instructions on the bag you can buy a new carbon filer if you want to but don't contaminate the water with the old one. Once done I would do yet another water change of 75% or so and see if they are still alive. As you know from watching all the farm vets on TV just about every animal (including humans) can get some kind of a worms. That's why I think General Cure or even what you have will also include a de-wormer. Worms take a long time to kill most animals because the animal just basically starves from the worm eating all it's food. Fish can go a long time without eating so cross your fingers.

Ok. I know Adorabelle used eSHa gdex and then a combination of eSha 2000 and eSha ndx

Do a massive water change of the entire tank, rinsing off any and all toys, decorations, ect. Use whichever Wormer medication (I'm betting it's worms too) that says it covers worms not "may cover" or covers some - other wise use General Cure. There's no point of putting the wrong thing in so if you can't find it do two water dhanges remember you're deluting the bad guys everytime you do a water change. BEFORE YOU ADD ANY MEDICATION REMOVE ANY CARBON FILTER. Carbon filters will just absorb the medication so it's ruined. Once you are done with the medications and followed any other instructions on the bag you can buy a new carbon filer if you want to but don't contaminate the water with the old one. Once done I would do yet another water change of 75% or so and see if they are still alive. As you know from watching all the farm vets on TV just about every animal (including humans) can get some kind of a worms. That's why I think General Cure or even what you have will also include a de-wormer. Worms take a long time to kill most animals because the animal just basically starves from the worm eating all it's food. Fish can go a long time without eating so cross your fingers.
THANK YOU!!!! I am hoping that tomorrow morning I can purchase the General Cure! Tomorrow I will do a deep cleaning as well and I have my gravel vacuum cleaner. I was wondering if I can mix the api cure with my fancy guppy fish food or just put it in the tank? Or do both?

@AdoraBelle Dearheart has recently treated her guppies for nematodes. Stringy white poo, particularly on live bearers, is usually the symptom for round/flat worms
Yep, I used the eSHa products to treat for worms in my guppies recently. Apparently most livebearers sold in stores that were raised in large fish farms abroad are carrying both round and flat worms. If you can't see a worm to ID it - as I couldn't, yet my fish had all the symptoms of worms- you need a treatment that will do both, or two separate treatments - one for roundworms and one for flatworms.

Different products are available in the US vs the US, I don't think you can get eSHa products there that seem to have cured my problem. API General Cure looks as though it will treat flatworms and gill flukes, but you'll need another treatment for roundworms if this doesn't work. Just be wary of buying cheap generic wormers, since a lot don't seem to have the ingredients necessary to treat a broad spectrum of worms. Better to check the active ingredient and ensure it will actually clear the problem. I'd used a general de-wormer on my guppies when I bought them, but it didn't touch whatever worm they were carrying.

Our disease expert, @Colin_T says;

"You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms. If you can't find these medications, look for Flubendazole, which treats both lots of worms."

Seachem Paraguard is for external parasites, bacteria & fungal. It won't help with internal parasites.

If your Guppies are infected with flat/round worms, then probably API General Cure won't help.

Does anyone know whether the flat/round worms are the same as Hexamita or Spironucleus (API general cure treatment)?

I guess they are different.

I guess you may have to use Flubendazole (Wormer Plus - the one I posted the link above) or Levamisole.

Last edited:
Hexamita/spironucleus is caused by a flagellate protozoan not a worm. API General Cure contains metronidazole which treats protozoan infections, external and internal.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I purchased the Seachem Paragurd, I brought it out of panic and I SHOULDVE researched more, but do you think that medication is also too? I heard itā€™s mainly for external infections, but it was recommended on a website that this treatment was good for some internal infections???
Seachem Paraguard, as far as I can discover, contains aldehydes and malachite green. As Lajos_Detari said, it won't treat internal infections/parasites.

Yep, I used the eSHa products to treat for worms in my guppies recently. Apparently most livebearers sold in stores that were raised in large fish farms abroad are carrying both round and flat worms. If you can't see a worm to ID it - as I couldn't, yet my fish had all the symptoms of worms- you need a treatment that will do both, or two separate treatments - one for roundworms and one for flatworms.

Different products are available in the US vs the US, I don't think you can get eSHa products there that seem to have cured my problem. API General Cure looks as though it will treat flatworms and gill flukes, but you'll need another treatment for roundworms if this doesn't work. Just be wary of buying cheap generic wormers, since a lot don't seem to have the ingredients necessary to treat a broad spectrum of worms. Better to check the active ingredient and ensure it will actually clear the problem. I'd used a general de-wormer on my guppies when I bought them, but it didn't touch whatever worm they were carrying.

Our disease expert, @Colin_T says;

"You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms. If you can't find these medications, look for Flubendazole, which treats both lots of worms."
I am not sure what type of worm my fish have, although I do know my fish have been eating, they have been swimming actively, but they white really stringy inconsistent poop is what worries me. But thank you so much for telling me what ingredients can cure certain worms.

Seachem Paraguard, as far as I can discover, contains aldehydes and malachite green. As Lajos_Detari said, it won't treat internal infections/parasites.
Youā€™re right, so I decided to purchase the API Guard and I will be receiving it in two days Iā€™m hopeful, today I will do a 75% water change as well.

API General Cure contains metronidazole (treats protozoan infections) and praziquantel (treats flat worms). But it does not treat round worms, you need something containing levamisole for that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back