Did I Cycle Correctly? If so, What Next?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HalfTailedOwner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just wondering--after my betta died, I want to ensure that the tank is completely suitable for a new one to live in (if I get one in the next few weeks). The koi carp is still in my tank, until I find him a new home... I've grown attached to him but my tank isn't the best place for him. However, I think he's been helping with the final stages of cycling?

I've done testing with ammonia, nitrates, and nitrtites, and here were the results:

0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrates
20 ppm nitrates

If needed, I added API quick start to help speed up the process. Overall, this has been going on for around 2/3 weeks(?) after I added it. Did I do it correctly? It seems as if the diatoms that grew in the water have slowed down a lot in their growth. If it is, is there anything that I must do differently in terms of water changes/Vacuuming now that it is cycled? Thanks in advance.

Just watch the parameters for awhile. Clean the tank once a week and do a 75% water change. You should be good to go but find a home for that Koi before getting the betta. Good luck!

The tank is cycled based on your current readings.

I 100% agree with the above statement of rehoming the koi before adding the beta

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back