My tank boss is a bully.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

PackardG00SE

Reaction score
I originally bought 2 Blood Parrots for my first aquarium. The little one is about 3.5”- 4”. The bigger one is about 5.5”- 6”. I’m pretty sure the bigger Blood Parrot is actually a Red Devil, and he’s a punk. He hides at the bottom of the tank, and chases any fish that gets close to him. Most of the fish just stay out of his way. The only fish that will challenge him is the little Blood Parrot. (He’s my hero). I’m not sure what to do. The pet store that sold him to me denies any responsibility, but I might be able to trade him for credit somewhere else. I’ve considered getting some schooling Tetras to distract him. I’m pretty sure he can’t eat them, because his mouth is too small. I already have a 1.5”- 2” Severum in the tank that he hasn’t eaten, so I think a group of Tetras might be safe.

What are your thoughts? Should I cut bait and evict the bully, or should I try to work with him?

———

Pictures of the fish?

if they sold you a red devil as a blood parrot, they are fully responsible for taking it back and giving you a full refund.

I don’t think that’s going to happen. They told me they don’t accept returns after 2 months. When I told him I just bought the fish a few weeks ago, he told me he had no room to put it. I need to feed my fish, so I’ll try to get a good pic of him. I was at another fish store today. They had a Red Devil as well as Blood Parrots. Their Red Devil looked exactly like my fish.

———

Last edited:
Here is a side by side comparison between the 2 fish.

image4.jpeg

Red Devil?

image6.jpeg

Blood Parrot

———

They are both blood parrots.

Red devils are generally silver until they reach 4-5 inches and then some start to turn red, others turn dark grey/ black. They don't have the dip in the head like yours do.

If the bigger one is bullying the smaller one, they are probably both males.

I would only get the tetras if you really want them as fish in their own right. Getting fish just for the purpose of trying to change the dynamic is too risky for me! If it doesn't work, you just end up with one extra problem, with fish in the tank you didn't really want in the first place. If that makes sense. That's my take anyway. If you like the idea of tetras in your tank anyway, then maybe it's worth a try.

What I think you are seeing is the evolution of the red parrot. It is a fish created to be handicapped, by breeders. At the start, many had mouths so deformed they starved to death. Time weeded them out. Now, some are developing increasingly functional mouths, good enough to bite with. This allows their nature, inherited from the species that were used to make them shine out.
Some dealers here changed farms because they were getting individuals that could bite naturally. Blood Parrots love to fight, but they can't, unless their jaws have grown into a more healthy but harmful structure. They'll still have the weird lumpy body people love, but when they can waddle close enough to something, they'll kill it, or at least make it miserable.
Your alpha almost looks like a fish.
He'll be happy to kill tetras, if he can catch them. From the tetra point of view, they'll never be able to let their guards down, and life with parrots will be stressful.
Don't forget, those blood parrots have barely reached teenaged size. Once they grow as they should, they'll be more assertive.

Thank you all for responding. Your advice is appreciated. Luckily, I don’t think the big Blood Parrot can bite other fish. He has no problem eating though. Both Blood Parrots will eat anything and everything I put in the tank. He basically just chases the other fish, and nudges them with his head or body.

———

Most reactions

Back