FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Most of us have been where you are, no one will be judgey. I'm just glad you found the forum while your fish are ok. I lost a lot early on and it was so distressing. The testing & water changes got my cycle fixed & fish are doing much better. Both your fish are lovely. I'm planning on getting an Albino Bristlenose once my new tank is cycled.

It might be recommended that the betta move to their own tank but others are much more experienced in betta care & can advise. @essjay @NCaquatics @PheonixKingZ

Honestly, it becomes like an obsession after a while. First you are worried about your water levels, then you’ll want to breed or aquascape and the next thing you know you have 5 different tanks and more knowledge than someone working at sea world. Lmao

Very true. I'd fish tank 3 months back and now cycling a tank twice as big as the first one. Abd obsessing over plants :rofl:

Honestly, it becomes like an obsession after a while. First you are worried about your water levels, then you’ll want to breed or aquascape and the next thing you know you have 5 different tanks and more knowledge than someone working at sea world. Lmao
Just what I need, another obsession xD My partner is already fed up with the 20+ orchids I have spread around the house, in the kitchen, on his desk... And that's just orchids, not including all the other plants! Guess I'll be needing more flat surfaces that can hold tanks! :D

Most of us have been where you are, no one will be judgey. I'm just glad you found the forum while your fish are ok. I lost a lot early on and it was so distressing. The testing & water changes got my cycle fixed & fish are doing much better. Both your fish are lovely. I'm planning on getting an Albino Bristlenose once my new tank is cycled.

It might be recommended that the betta move to their own tank but others are much more experienced in betta care & can advise. @essjay @NCaquatics @PheonixKingZ
I read a lot on betta and different tank mates they could have, and plecos seemed to be a commonly agreed upon one. She's definitely shown interest in the pleco, but I haven't noted any aggression towards it yet. Maybe since she's a female? Who knows, obviously the reading I've done so far hasn't been adequate so it may have been a poor decision... we'll see! Thank you so much for your help :)

Don't feel bad about it. It's no secret here, and one I am 'happy' to admit. I don't fully blame the LFS I went to. I didn't do my research, and kinda paid for it with poor advice from the LFS alongside it.
At least the tank is small? Invest in the API Freshwater master test kit and anytime nitrites and ammonia are above zero, do a water change. I used to have to do a change everyday to reduce the levels to 0. It took 5-6 weeks. But I fully understand the science behind it now.
It will be fine as long as you keep up the water changes and testing until your readings are 0 for seven days (don't count these days when nothing is established)

Don't feel bad about it. It's no secret here, and one I am 'happy' to admit. I don't fully blame the LFS I went to. I didn't do my research, and kinda paid for it with poor advice from the LFS alongside it.
At least the tank is small? Invest in the API Freshwater master test kit and anytime nitrites and ammonia are above zero, do a water change. I used to have to do a change everyday to reduce the levels to 0. It took 5-6 weeks. But I fully understand the science behind it now.
It will be fine as long as you keep up the water changes and testing until your readings are 0 for seven days (don't count these days when nothing is established)
Thank you!!

Get some floating plants. Preferably something like duckweed or frogbit. Duckweed is incredibly easy to grow and will really help keep your ammonia levels down.

This 100% :yahoo:

I've been wanting a red male betta for the past few months and finally set myself to the task of preparing for one. Lots of reading and a 20 gallon tank later and I found myself searching through three different pet stores, but none of the betta were calling out to me. I ended up going home with a little albino pleco instead. Anyway, I went back the next day and saw this little female and I fell absolutely in love. Haven't thought of a name for either fish quite yet, but they'll come to me.
The more I read the more I understand that I'll need a divider in this tank (even though I originally thought it would be large enough) if I want to add a male, for risk of aggression or breeding AND aggression. Maybe once I'm a little more experienced I can travel down that rabbit hole, as I definitely am interested in it, but I'm too green for now.
Anyway, I'm excited to find a forum for this new hobby of mine. I look forward to reading and learning from everyone!
for that aquarium, I’d get some loaches, as they are very active, but I would only get zebra, Kuhli, and dwarf chain. Kuhli are the cheapes, but are nocturnal, so give them places to hide. Instead of buying rocks from the store, I would get some from around your lawn, boil them in water for 5 minutes (to get rid of bacteria), and make a sculpture in the tank to make some nice dark caves. Your betta may like it as well; having his own little cave to snuggle in. Another fish I would try would be a honey gourami. They also love places to hide, along with plants. They love floating plants especially.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

I would personally not put an albino BNP in a 20g tank, even if it is a 20g long. They are just to active, and create to much poop.

I agree on not adding any more fish before your tank is fomp

Please don't get any more fish until after the tank is cycled.

Loaches are not to everyone's tastes, but zebra loaches need a bigger tank than 20 gallons, and dwarf chain loaches would benefit from a bigger tank as well.
Wasn't planning on it. I'd rather not put any other fish at risk until the tank is ready to support them.
I did read that loaches did better with more than a 20g, so I wasn't planning on getting them unless I get a larger size tank down the road.
Thanks for your help!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

I would personally not put an albino BNP in a 20g tank, even if it is a 20g long. They are just to active, and create to much poop.

I agree on not adding any more fish before your tank is fomp
Definitely wasn't planning on adding any more fish until the tank is cycled. If I run into any issues with the pleco I'll look at larger tanks, but for now we'll have to make a 20g work. The one I have now is less than an inch long, so we'll have a little time at least. Thanks for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back