The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Telzar

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank with guppies, blood eyed tetras, danios, 2 yo-yo loaches, a school of neons, and one red wag platy. I want to add one pleco and some ottos. The last addition I want to add is ether a clown loach, or some snails. I was wondering if I could add both so what type of snails do clown loaches eat and if there is a type of snail that clown loaches don't eat, please tell me. Also, how big will clown loaches get and will they every get to big for a 55 gallon?

The last addition I want to add is ether a clown loach,
IMO a 55 gallon is too small for Clown Loaches, You do know they can grow to about 16 inches. Also Clown loaches must be kept in groups of at least 5 to keep them happy.

Well I guess that means snails. Thanks!

Well I guess that means snails. Thanks!
I wouldn't recommend snails with yo yo loaches, They might find them tasty.

Agreed on both counts.  I've not got a tank big enough which is one reason I've never bought clowns, despite being a big fan of them.  

Snails and crustaceans are a no go as well unless you want to provide an expensive snack I'm afraid.

I also agree on the clowns and snails with loaches.  But I have something to add about the two present loaches--you need more.

All species of Botine loaches (the genus Botia and the closely-related genera) are highly social fish.  They must have a group, usually five or six is suggested as minimum, as they develop quite an interesting hierarchy within the group, often with an "alpha" fish (that may be a female) that in many ways controls the shoal.  Observing some of their interactions, like the popular "loach dance," is a thrill indeed.  Aside from the fun stuff, loaches kept singly, in pairs, or as three, will often be highly stressed because of this, and more prone to aggression, and have a shorter lifespan.

I don't know how long you have had the present two "yo yo" loaches, but assuming they have not been alone for months you should be able without problems to add another three.  This really is essential for their long-term health and benefit.  You have the space for these with a 55g, so no issues there as it would be for clowns that also need such a group and attain 8 inches to over a foot.

Byron.

Telzar said:
I have a 55 gallon tank with guppies, blood eyed tetras, danios, 2 yo-yo loaches, a school of neons, and one red wag platy. I want to add one pleco and some ottos. The last addition I want to add is ether a clown loach, or some snails. I was wondering if I could add both so what type of snails do clown loaches eat and if there is a type of snail that clown loaches don't eat, please tell me. Also, how big will clown loaches get and will they every get to big for a 55 gallon?

With clown loaches it honestly depends how long you plan on keeping the tank. A friend of mine kept a pair of clown loaches in a 90 gal. with with rather peaceful mbunas for 8+ years but they grew no bigger than 6-8". So if you plan on keeping the tank for a while I'd skip the loaches but otherwise go for it if you can relocate them at a later point in time. GL 
walkman.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back