New fishy, congo spotted puffer

mmarx339

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
79
Reaction score
45
Points
18
Location
Wisconsin
New fishy, spotted congo puffer in the 55
 

Attachments

  • 5B67EFC6-59D1-4C60-BF85-492AC22D402F.webp
    5B67EFC6-59D1-4C60-BF85-492AC22D402F.webp
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,994
  • 1AD09A31-51D7-454B-835E-8ABA63754FF0.webp
    1AD09A31-51D7-454B-835E-8ABA63754FF0.webp
    310.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 8D824FE4-3F58-400B-AA48-E92FE148A369.webp
    8D824FE4-3F58-400B-AA48-E92FE148A369.webp
    200.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 561B24C8-C375-4421-831B-95016B7E0058.webp
    561B24C8-C375-4421-831B-95016B7E0058.webp
    107.5 KB · Views: 201
  • DE345539-27BA-4B6D-8627-A10FA8793752.webp
    DE345539-27BA-4B6D-8627-A10FA8793752.webp
    263.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 4B63B111-DF57-4B5F-854F-7B672B7BF9DB.webp
    4B63B111-DF57-4B5F-854F-7B672B7BF9DB.webp
    326.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 3B156BF4-A4A7-45B3-8697-9785C9CD7504.webp
    3B156BF4-A4A7-45B3-8697-9785C9CD7504.webp
    353 KB · Views: 195
  • 376D04AF-8C00-46F2-930D-FFA7477FD24B.webp
    376D04AF-8C00-46F2-930D-FFA7477FD24B.webp
    243.7 KB · Views: 209
  • AC0EA8F6-EC32-4491-88C6-9DC552957F06.webp
    AC0EA8F6-EC32-4491-88C6-9DC552957F06.webp
    154.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 81D1D258-64D0-4DC8-9689-6CBC0BBDCEDE.webp
    81D1D258-64D0-4DC8-9689-6CBC0BBDCEDE.webp
    232.5 KB · Views: 197
  • E544D31A-8D95-4034-ABDD-DE84035D69B2.webp
    E544D31A-8D95-4034-ABDD-DE84035D69B2.webp
    331.2 KB · Views: 169
Nice looks like a good tank for them too such a cool fish. We’ve all wanted a puffer like this for ages and it’s ace a large community puffer has become available
 
We’ve all wanted a puffer like this for ages and it’s ace a large community puffer has become available
speak for yourself. I can't stand puffers like that. gross to look at and poisonous. give him a kiss good night and see if you wake up in the morning :)
 
speak for yourself. I can't stand puffers like that. gross to look at and poisonous. give him a kiss good night and see if you wake up in the morning :)
Fair enough if they are not your thing but I’ve never heard anything about fresh water puffers being poisonous and I’ve just spent a good while trying to find some kind of reference to it for a mix of species and not been able to find anything would be interesting to know where you got this info from
 
They all have tetrodotoxin and can release it into the surrounding water if stressed. Below is an interesting article about blowfish poison.
 
They all have tetrodotoxin and can release it into the surrounding water if stressed. Below is an interesting article about blowfish poison.
Thats interesting, shame it does not mention the African species (Mbu, Fahaka, Schoudenti) - interesting to see SAPs on there though thats a different toxin to Tetrodotoxin and it doesnt mention the small Indian fish Dwarf Puffers, Red Eyes etc. It does explain that the longer they are kept in captivity the less toxic they become because they do not produce the toxin its aquired through diet. And the good news is that a lot of the Schoudenti are tank bred now rather than wild caught.

Still after reading this not sure if would put me off keeping them :)

Wills
 
It does explain that the longer they are kept in captivity the less toxic they become because they do not produce the toxin its aquired through diet.
I found that interesting too. I had always thought they produced their own poison but they get it from what they eat. If they are captive bred, they should be fine but I'm still not going to lick one to find out. :)
 
I found that interesting too. I had always thought they produced their own poison but they get it from what they eat. If they are captive bred, they should be fine but I'm still not going to lick one to find out. :)
I had some wood catfish a few years ago and if you ever touched their dorsal fin spine at the front your arms went tingly
 
I was cleaning the marine tanks at the shop one day and went to move a small rock so I could gravel clean the sand. The small rock moved when I picked it up. It turned out to be a baby stonefish and I grabbed it by its dorsal fin. I did my nut because tanks containing dangerous fish were meant to have a dangerous fish sign on them so nobody got hurt. I didn't get stung but it was a brown trouser moment for me and a few co-workers who I threatened to kill before I died from stonefish poison. :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top