New 10 gal tank for the grandkids - old timer back after 50 years

06/02/2026

Fish are fine, water parameters are fine, but it has remained cloudy since adding the last 3 guppies and dosing with Tetra Safestart on May 15, so over two weeks now, and showed no signs of clearing at all. So I used Google's AI. I was impressed with the responses.

At first it gave the standard, "It will clear in a few days." but when I told it it was already about 18 days, it asked another question or two and it then told me I had an "unsettled bacteria loop" in which the bacteria were cycling through the UGF so fast and up the lift tubes again they were not establishing the biofilm on the gravel and were remaining suspended in the water column. They are obviously doing the job of reducing ammonia, but not becoming fixed in the substrate.

It suggested doing a 50% water change, adding more polishing pads to the HOB filter if I could, and turning off the UGF for two days to let the bacteria settle. Also skip a day feeding, and then feed 1X per day very carefully. I said I was worried about turning off the UGF, and asked how about pulling the airstones and just leaving big bubbles from the air tubing. It suggested that was an excellent idea and asked if my air pump was adjustable, to which I said yes.

It said leave the HOB on max flow, pull the airstones from the UGF, reduce the airflow to minimum and leave that running for 5 days that way. It said there was no problem turning the UGF off for two days, but this approach would reduce the flow through the gravel by maybe 80% and allow the bacteria to grab onto the gravel while still providing aerated water. On day 5 it said increase the air pump to high output for two more days but still no airstones. On day 7 it suggested putting the airstones back in and reducing the air pump to low again so as not to disturb the new biofilm too much. After that I could leave the air pump on low or raise the flow, it won't make much difference to the biological filtering. I'll probably get about 60 gph out of both lift tubes on low and up to 120 on High, but 6X the tank volume per hour is plenty, especially since my HOB is rated for 55 gph, as well. I'd be turning the tank over 10+ times per hour about half from the HOB polishing pads, and half from the UGF, which is great filtration.

That was June 2, today, on June 3 the tank is way, way clearer than yesterday. I'm going to track this, and add it to the AI thread. I think people are way more critical of AI than is warranted. Yes it makes mistakes--in this conversation it said my two UGF lift tubes should provide 1-2 gph using airstones. I said, "You mean 1-2 gallons per minute, right?" It said, yes, good correction, and apologized. If this works out in a week. I'll post it over in the AI thread. I think some people are making the perfect the enemy of the good with AI.

Oh, forgot water parameters, I did them all after yesterday's 50% water change.
Temp 77.7*F
pH 7.8-8.0 I can't really distinguish the color very well.
Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all zero
KH = 4 GH = 10
Fish are looking very good.
 
Last edited:
06/04/26

Well, tank is continuing to clear nicely. I added what I thought was a honey gourami last night, but turns out to be a sunset thick-lipped gourami, trichogaster labiosa. Given his current size, I'm OK for another few months, but eventually he'll grow to the point I have to unload him.

No ammonia this morning after adding the fish. Turned the air pump up a little bit, still no airstones. Fish looks perfectly happy and very comfortable. Ate well today.
 
06/03/26

Added a Trichogaster labiosa sunset thick-lipped gourami to the tank today. He'll get to be 4" long, but I hope to upgrade to a larger tank by the time he hits 3 inches. I also replaced the Marina S10 power filter with a modified Fluval AC20 filter. No bio or chem media, just 20 PPI, 30 PPI and 50 PPI filter foam in it.
 
Last edited:
06/09/26

Well, I googled how long it will take my current 2" gourami to reach 3" and I got 3-6 months as an answer, so I will plan the new tank for maybe August or September. I've decided on a Seapora 38 gallon unusual dimensions, and I've specced it all out.

In the meantime, I've learned about the infamous API Master Test Kit ammonia false positive issue. It's been driving me nuts my test won't come out pure yellow even after a fasting day for the fish. So I tested new tap water, and also distilled water. Never got pure yellow, even with distilled, it was basically clear with a slight green tinge.

I have come to the conclusion that MY "zero" for ammonia is 0.225 PPM on the API test, and my "zero" for nitrates is 5 PPM. I never got any nitrite reading--ever, another reason I'm not particularly worried, my tank water is perfectly safe. Now that it's cycled and coming up on 7 days after addition of the gourami, I will stop testing for a while. Fish look active and healthy.

I'll probably go with a two week water change cycle as my nitrates area always very low. Running both the UGF and the HOB filter is very overfiltered. I think I'll go to a water test and water change on the 15th and at the end of each month.
 
06/09/26

Well, I googled how long it will take my current 2" gourami to reach 3" and I got 3-6 months as an answer, so I will plan the new tank for maybe August or September. I've decided on a Seapora 38 gallon unusual dimensions, and I've specced it all out.

In the meantime, I've learned about the infamous API Master Test Kit ammonia false positive issue. It's been driving me nuts my test won't come out pure yellow even after a fasting day for the fish. So I tested new tap water, and also distilled water. Never got pure yellow, even with distilled, it was basically clear with a slight green tinge.

I have come to the conclusion that MY "zero" for ammonia is 0.225 PPM on the API test, and my "zero" for nitrates is 5 PPM. I never got any nitrite reading--ever, another reason I'm not particularly worried, my tank water is perfectly safe. Now that it's cycled and coming up on 7 days after addition of the gourami, I will stop testing for a while. Fish look active and healthy.

I'll probably go with a two week water change cycle as my nitrates area always very low. Running both the UGF and the HOB filter is very overfiltered. I think I'll go to a water test and water change on the 15th and at the end of each month.
I had the same experience with API liquid ammonia test. Never yellow, even with RODI water. This is a new observation. I didn’t find this issue a year or so ago.
 
06/10/2026

Hmmmm. Water has been stable as a brick, but today I got my very first nitrite reading. Ever. Ammonia was 0.25 PPM, which is probably my base, so really practically zero. Nitrites were also 0.25 though, and I've never gotten a reading on it. Nitrate was either 10 or 20 PPM, hard to tell the color difference between those two, but probably 10 PPM.

Fish look great. I may have overfed a little, but not much, and they all seem to love picking through the gravel for half an hour after feeding cleaning it all up, and they find most of it.
 
06/14/26

Everybody looks fine.
Ammonia 0
nitrite < 0.25
Nitrate < 10
 
Finally got to that seasoned “swimming in air” look. Took 7 weeks. This tank is done. If it does not look that clear, it's because it's a still from a video.

1781630784549.webp
 
Last edited:
06/28/26

Because he was going to grow too big, I gave away the labiosa to another aquarist (Craig's List), and got a chuna. He got ich and died several days later, and I'm in the process of treating the 10 gallon tank. Thankfully, the guppies look great, very active, good appetite, no sign of the ich, I think they'll be fine. But I got a valuable lesson in why quarantine.

I'm setting up a 5.5 gallon Aqueon QT tank with bare bottom, sponge filter powered by a Tetra Whisper 2-15, Fluval M50 heater, and glass lid. My local PetSmart got some trichogaster chuna honey gouramis in, I'll get another after the QT tank is running for a bit.
 
06/30/26

Main tank has gone through the ich treatment. Today, did a 50% water change, and added the Fluval charcoal bag that came with the AC20 filter to my stack. I never used it, glad I kept it. Prior to WC Ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, nitrate was 5 PPM, fish look great. Bumped temp from 81F to 82F and will leave for 5 days while I observe them, I think it's done. Then reduce back to 77-78 F over a few days.

Got a second male honey gourami (trichogaster chuna) today from PetSmart, and learned they have a 14-day guarantee on their fish. They sent me a gift card for the price of the first gourami, prompt and excellent customer service.

New guy is in the QT and will stay there for a month. I'm never adding a fish to the main tank without QT again. This 10 gallon tank has been a tremendous learning experience for me. I'm looking forward to getting a bigger tank, but this one is fun.

QT tank:

IMG_9246.webp



I learned how to make a bleed valve from a brass T connector and the flow control that came with the Tetra Whisper airpump. Was able to dial down the flow in the sponge filter a bit with it. Sanded the inside of that plastic rock pretty good. Still learning stuff!
 
Last edited:
07/01/26

Day 2 of the quarantine tank. Honey gourami looking good, swimming around, fins looking good. Fed him a very little Fluval Bug Bites, he took a couple nibbles, that's it. He's doing a lot of glass surfing discovering his boundaries. I wrapped a dark towel around 3 sides of the tank bottom to prevent the mirror effect of the floor, and covered the top and window side with a white hand towel to keep light subdued. He's not hiding much but knows he can hide behind the plants, but it doesn't look like he discovered the little cave-rock yet (well he discovered it, but I don't know he knows he can go inside it).

Did not test the water because I'm not worried about it, his bioload is too small. Day 2 dose of Seachem Prime 0.75ml. Day 2 dose of Stability 1.5ml, administered with a graduated eyedropper. Temp 78.1F.

Main tank looks pristine, charcoal appears to be doing its job. Guppies look gorgeous, and were apparently unaffected by the ich the first honey gourami got. Temp 82.1F. No need to test water conditions after the 50% water change, as I have massively huge and stable bio-filtration in there.

Some pics of the new QT resident:

IMG_9263.webp


IMG_9257.webp


IMG_9252.webp
 
07/02/26

Day 3 of QT
Tested ammonia, it's at zero. Temp is 77.9F, dosed 0.7 ml of Prime and 1.5 ml Stability again.

Gourami looks great. Fins splayed out proudly, not looking too stressed, he doesn't go hide when he sees me, swims more like what I expect, slowly and confidently around the tank, not frenetic glass surfing. Fed like two flakes of food and he unenthusiastically ate part of one and ignored the other, so he's either not hungry or still maybe appetite suppressed from his moves in the last couple days. No sign of any stress behavior or white spots.

Fingers crossed!

Guppies are gluttons as usual. Leaving tank at about 82.3F for a few days. No signs of anything amiss with them.
 
07/03/26

Day 4 of QT
Tested ammonia, it's at zero. Temp is 77.9F, but nitrite is between 0.25 and 0.5 PPM. Dosed 0.7 ml of Prime and 1.5 ml Stability again. Did about a 15% water change.

Gourami looks great. Fins splayed out proudly, not looking too stressed, he doesn't go hide when he sees me. Still not eating, but since he was unpacked from the shipper three days ago, then moved from the pet store to his new home, I'm not too worried. He may not eat until tomorrow or Sunday, and that's normal.
 
Last edited:
07/04/26

Day 5 of QT
Tested ammonia, it's at zero. Temp is 77.9F, but nitrite is 0.5 PPM. Dosed 0.7 ml of Prime and 1.5 ml Stability again. Gourami looks great. He’s starting to nibble, but I would not call it a good appetite. I did find some fish poop on the bottom of the tank (now I know why bare tanks are good for QT). Not much, but at least he’s digesting.

Seems comfy in his surroundings, fins still nicely displayed, he meanders about at a leisurely pace. He did figure out he can go inside the Little Rock cave. I think he slept there last night.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top