My friend accidentally had his filter AND heater off for two weeks!!! HELP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Right... My friend is getting rid of his fish and tank and moved It into his kitchen two weeks ago. I assumed he filled it up again when he moved it down...however... I went there yesterday to rehome some of his fish. And I was shocked to see it only half full with no water pumping through the filter. He just assumed it was working because of the noise it was making. Also just the tip of the heater was in the water so the water was a very cold 13 or 14 degrees C..

I took the dannios out which I understand can go in cold water anyway and rehome them to my sisters cold tank... However he had a (somehow still alive) rainbow shark and bristlenose pleco. The poor little souls!... I immediately topped it up with semi warm water to Try bring it back up to living standard and I rehomed the pleco in my tank... However the shark remains as I can't have him..
I have found someone who has.
My main question is:
If I rehome this shark in this new tank is it likely to bring a load of stress caused disease in to the tank and effect the others? Or could it be happily ever after?. I assume the tank was ammonia r

Wouldn't hurt to isolate the fish. When I took on some angel fish that had been in a tank for months with out a water change I had non stop ammonia spikes for weeks. I'd quarantine it wouldn't hurt

Ok will do.. But nervy about the plec I had off him now..
So i assume stress related disease is contagious?

It is true that if one fish is stressed, all can get stressed. That is "Normal". You need to give your friend a pep talk. Even a newbie fish keeper shouldn't have made this mistake.

I know I was extremely shocked I didn't think I needed to tell him to re fill it up to required level again... There was no water coming out of the filter spray bar it seems obvious.. He even phoned me the other day saying "the filters making a funny noise what shall I do". So it was all acknowledged.. I told him to lower it slightly till it works again or stopped making the noise... I just assumed he put fresh water back in... He Didn't even think to check the temperature.. The fool...

Guess ill just have to check my levels daily and weird activity from other fish from the pleco I 'adopted'

I know I was extremely shocked I didn't think I needed to tell him to re fill it up to required level again... There was no water coming out of the filter spray bar it seems obvious.. He even phoned me the other day saying "the filters making a funny noise what shall I do". So it was all acknowledged.. I told him to lower it slightly till it works again or stopped making the noise... I just assumed he put fresh water back in... He Didn't even think to check the temperature.. The fool...

Guess ill just have to check my levels daily and weird activity from other fish from the pleco I 'adopted'
That is good that you are rescuing those poor fish. I rescued 8 African Cichlids and they took over my 55 gallon :( tank but I also rescued a pleco and he lived for nearly 5 years :)

Update.. Pleco I took seems fine eating fine and chilling with my current pleco.
Delivered shark last night awaiting update..

Checked my friends water levels out of curiosity having filter off for two weeks and still feeding them...
0 ammonia.. 0 nitrite???? How..
Obviously the nitrate was probbaly high but didn't think it would convert at all.

Update.. Pleco I took seems fine eating fine and chilling with my current pleco.
Delivered shark last night awaiting update..

Checked my friends water levels out of curiosity having filter off for two weeks and still feeding them...
0 ammonia.. 0 nitrite???? How..
Obviously the nitrate was probbaly high but didn't think it would convert at all.
Maybe he forgot to feed them too!

Most reactions

trending

Back