How to stop other fish eating catfish food

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AnnAlfie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After years of keeping fish I have successfully come up with a solution to stop tank mates of catfish eating all the catfish food before the catfish get a chance to eat it themselves.
I have a community tank with some aggressive eaters such as Angel fish and barbs. I had to come up with a solution to stop the aggressive eaters from eating all the catfish food. I tried everything including feeding at night. Nothing worked until now.
I took a plastic container and cut a small hole at the top and cut a small hole at the base only big enough for the catfish. Using an ice pick, I pierced the container all over to make small holes for the water to move through.
The container was then placed in the tank upside down with a little gravel around the lip of the container to hold it down. Problem solved.
The catfish pellets are placed in the hole at the top of the container and then the hole is covered with a small rock. The only way in or out is the small hole cut for the catfish. Don't worry, the catfish will find their way in and out of the container just fine.
I also have neon tetras and other such small fish however they are not interested in the container and are generally to small to eat the pellets anyway.
I hope this helps some of you guys with your greddy fish problem. Cheers.

This post was posted to help people with their catfish feeding problem. It was not intended to create a whole range of replies from people assuming they know my tank size, stones etc...
This is a little bit of help shared with others. THATS ALL. It worked for me so any persons wishing to try it are welcome to do so.

Attachments

• S1440008.JPG
    S1440008.JPG
    854.2 KB · Views: 1,306
Last edited:
Simple solution; feed the right foods. Tropical fish are usually fed a variety of flakes and live foods which generally float.

Bottom feeders such as catfish in this case feed off of pellets.

Very simple.

also your tank isn't suitable for corys

As it is overstocked, corys require a minimum school of six and a sand substrate (usually ) or fine gravel substrate and a thick lushly planted aquarium involving live plants.

Simple solution; feed the right foods. Tropical fish are usually fed a variety of flakes and live foods which generally float.

Bottom feeders such as catfish in this case feed off of pellets.

Very simple.
Yes thank you for your input. I think I have that figured out. If my aggressive eaters were not eating the actual catfish pellets then I wouldn't have a problem.

also your tank isn't suitable for corys

As it is overstocked, corys require a minimum school of six and a sand substrate (usually ) or fine gravel substrate and a thick lushly planted aquarium involving live plants.
They have been living happily together for 3 years but thanks for the reply. By the way, I am aware that catfish are bottom feeders and considering I only took a picture of a small section of my tank, how would you know if it's overstocked? My fish are just fine thanks.

Hello

When people usually say “my tank is fine thanks” it gives a sign of the exact opposite. But we will momentarily find out if that is true, I wasn’t trying to be mean , do calm down respectively we are a forum that enjoys assisting newcomers to the hobby. Weather you have been doing this for years doesn’t mean you have done it correctly or have more knowledge than another person has. What is your tank size, how many fish and of what kinds do you have? Barbs are a species, could you name what kind? Also how many corydoras? Black tetras usually do not mix well with angelfish as do tetras, they tend in small environments like so to nip their fins and harass them. That and sometimes the angelfish pick at the tetras themselves. I also previously stated that corydoras enjoy and thrive in a sand substrate which you do not acquire or have if you will. Large substrates such as your own hurt and lower the length of their barbels around their mouths. They sift through sand to find food in the wild and this is what Should be done in the home aquaria as it doesn’t hurt there barbels and doesn’t stung their growth, and also does not slow them down from being as active as they should or could be. It’s generally all they do in the aquarium, sift through sand trying to find some leftovers.

Also your rocks have a red coloration in them, you must have got them from your backyard or an unprofessional website I figure? Generally rocks that have a glaze or are shiny, are not aquarium safe. Also your tank seems to be getting sunlight from the window, that is usually not something people do as it creates unneeded algae.

Just noticed you have a swordtail, which needs a larger tank than your (im figuring) 10 gallon fluval look alike tank?

Tetras need a minimum school of six so lets make a list of how many fish you should have:

Neon tetras: six

Black tetras: six

Angelfish: one

Swordtails: 3

Corydoras: six

So you have a total of 22 fish in a 10 gallon. I can tell your tank is no more than a ten gallon since your fish are about 1” in size generally with the types you have. Do the math and you have a ten gallon or under.

Just noticed you have a swordtail, which needs a larger tank than your (im figuring) 10 gallon fluval look alike tank?

Tetras need a minimum school of six so lets make a list of how many fish you should have:

So you have a total of 22 fish in a 10 gallon. I can tell your tank is no more than a ten gallon since your fish are about 1” in size generally with the types you have. Do the math and you have a ten gallon or under.
there is no swordtail

Correction. The tank is 80 litres. The picture is of a small section of the tank not the actual full tank

your still over(and under)stocked and avoided my questions.

As I said, corys need a minimum group of six which it seems you don’t have, if you did they would naturally be together corresponding in the picture. You never listed the amount of fish either or the parameters?

I think it's a really nice ide! And it serves multiple purposes both as a way to feed and there's gotta be some quality of life stuff to go with it as the fish get to explore and what not

your still over(and under)stocked and avoided my questions.

As I said, corys need a minimum group of six which it seems you don’t have, if you did they would naturally be together corresponding in the picture. You never listed the amount of fish either or the parameters?
I'm choosing not to answer. I find your mannerism condescending. Let's leave it at that. Good day

So basically you don’t want to reveal the speculations of the tank because they are incorrect im presuming?

This forum imo is a place of learning, if something is wrong say it don’t be afraid so to speak about it, we care for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back