Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Help -- Betta Fish Not Interacting?

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by HalfTailedOwner, May 27, 2019.

1. HalfTailedOwner

HalfTailedOwner New Member

Hi, last Wednesday I bought a double tailed betta. Ever since then I've noticed he doesn't interact much and is growing slower. A few days ago he only stuck to one side of the tank rather and sleep in the corner. He doesn't notice when I eat or try to interact with him. At first, I thought he was bored, so I bought a mirror toy and more plants to create hiding spots for him but yet he doesn't do much. He will occasionally swim a little bit and hide but a majority of time he just rests in a corner. I also have been looking if he is sick as well. He doesn't appear to have white spots, or hurt himself in anyway. He just doesn't do anything. I'm really afraid that something could be wrong and I'm not sure what to do if he happens to be sick.

Adding to eating habits, I thought he would always eat when I wouldn't look--the food appears to be gone after I place two flakes in there, but then I noticed that when cleaning there would be decaying pieces of food. What should I do? Is this still because he is getting used to the tank, or is something actually wrong?

Here's some info if you need it:
    -10 gal tank
    -26C temp
    -Has a heater, filter, air stone
    -Is cycled
    -Besides the betta, there are ghost shrimps.
    Here are some imgur links:

https://imgur.com/a/QMS65Da

2. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

What are you ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

3. HalfTailedOwner

They all resulted in ideal, with ammonia and nitrite at 0. Nitrate is at 20ppm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HalfTailedOwner

They're all at good conditions but he's still acting like this. I'm not sure if he's bored or sick because I can't find any physical symptoms...

5. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

There is a very clear pic already posted. I don’t believe she is concerned about Popeye. The rest of your information is interesting. Good read!

6. HalfTailedOwner

Oh okay, that's a relief. The water has a pH of 7.4--but I believe he is becoming bored. I do have a toy for him at the moment and he is moving a little more, but I'm not too sure.

7. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fish Herder
    Pet of the Month Winner!

Change the set up of your tank. Betta fish get bored easily, if you add new plants, or add new decor. He will get “excited” and go check it out. Good luck! :)