What's new

Newbie283

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im really puzzled with my first attempt at fishless cycling using ammonia. My two 5 gallons I successfully did a fish-in and had them cycled in about 3 weeks. Starting my new 10 gallon isn't going so well.

Here's some helpful info on tank setup:
First 2 days I had the tank filter on full speed and cranked the temps to 86 degrees F. Had nothing in it but a bioball from an established tank. I was waiting on my Dr tims ammonia and one and only solution in the mail. The parameters using api master kit were as follows:
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 20-40 ppm
I dosed that day with 40 drops of ammonia and 4 caps of one and only barteria (following Dr. Tim's dosing instructions 4 drops per gal)
After I dosed same day
Ammonia 4ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 10-20ppm

Day 3 (24hrs after dosing with Dr tims)
Ammonia 4ppm nitrite .50ppm nitrate 40-80 ppm. I did a 50%water change to lower the ammonia. Ended up with 2ppm and dosed 10 drops to get it to about 3ppm.

Day 4
Still 2-4ppm ammonia. I added a sponge from an established tank that was a month old to try and help establish the bacteria.

Day 5
Checked in the morning ammonia Is still the same. 2-4 ppm. Checked 8 hours later and it's still the same as yesterday.

Does anyone have any idea why I haven't seen a single decrease in ammonia since I first dosed my tank with it? Even with seeded media? I thought after 3 days I would have seen something. I didn't bother to test for nitrite or nitrate since I'm focusing on still getting ammonia down. Please Help! I have about 3 weeks before my Betta comes in the mail. Trying my best to get it cycled before he arrives (worst case I will temporarily split one of my 5 gals). I should also add I'm planning on emptying water and scaping/heavily planting this new tank in about 3 days. I was planning on tossing the media in the removed water to keep bacteria alive then just putting some old water back in.

OP
N

Newbie283

Reaction score
Also I have 2 anubias plants and moss balls I got delivered early so I dropped them in one of my established tanks they will be in there about a week when I'm ready to plant and scape in hopes to seed even more bacteria to the new tank.

matty111

Reaction score
Out of interest did you de chlorinate your water.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

OP
N

Newbie283

Reaction score
Yes both when I set up the tank and when I did a water change using seachem prime

Search tags for this page

ammonia cycle 4ppm

ammonia stuck at 2ppm

my nitrites are 0 and my ammonia is 4ppm after using dr tims one and only

should ammonia remain at 4ppm during the fishless cycle

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days