The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Georgine

Reaction score
When I was up in CT cleaning out my Mom's Condo I was originally keeping a look out for a 5 gal tank for a Betta that I ended up not getting. I did get a Fluval Chi 5 gal for $20. But before driving up 2 hours from NY to CT I saw a post about the Fluval Edge with fish and supplies for $150. So I asked what kind of fish and I was told 1 Swordtail, 2 skirted tetras, 3 danios, 2 amano shrimp. The guy was moving from the east coast to the west coast so he couldn't take the tank of fish with him on Wed Aug 15th. So I talked it over with my Fiance 1st over the weekend giving us some time to think. He was ok with getting the tank if I really wanted it. So I got ahold of the guy on Monday the day I was packing to go home and I was told if I can pick it up by 6:30 I can have it all for $80 as no one else was interested in the tank of fish. So picking up I find out the tank is full of 30lb of gravel rocks, driftwood, 2 plants and 2 moss balls, filter, and a 25wat fluval edge heater.

So now I had the tank for about 10 days. done a couple of water changes with my Fiance that knows a little bit more then I about tropical fish. He noticed what looked like fin rot a few days ago. He bought something at the local pet store and had plans to do a water change the next day. When I woke up Wed Morning I saw all the fish swiming around. Then around late morning early noon time I found one of the tetras died.

When I did more research when I got home with the tank about the kind of fish I found that this tank is to small for the Swordtail and tetras. But I have no space for a larger tank at this time and the guy before me had the tank set up for about a year with all the fish and shrimp and plants. Could have been age or something that killed the one? the water temp has been staying around 77F to 78F Should I look into another tetra or just let it live out its life with the others. My Fiance did change the water when I was out and I buried the fish in the back yard with help from my 4 1/2 year old daughter.

My daughter loves helping feed and take care of all the pets we have. 10 year old white German Shepherd , 9 year old lionhead rabbit, 6 small lizards in a 29 gal reptile tank, and then the 6 gal tank with fish and shirmp. She loves feeding time and watching them eat.

Should I maybe take 5 lbs of the gravel rocks out? its about 2in thick/ 30lbs of it in the tank? or does it have to be that much for the live plants?

Probably not age honestly, what I would do is go to your local fish store and buy a test kit for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. It's very possible that the filter is unable to cope with the amount of fish in the tank, and waste product is building up in the water. Test your water and post the results here, we'll help you with them. If there is an excess of waste product, the best thing to do, considering you don't have the space for a larger tank, would be to return the fish that are unsuitable for your tank, or find someone to rehome them. If you are unable, or unwilling, to do that, then the only option is to increase the amount, and frequency, Of water changes to remove the waste from the tank. Let us know the results asap and we'll do the best we can

As stated by TekFish, it's more likely a water quality issue.
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day until this is resolved.
Reduce feeding to a small amount every second day.

Photograph the fish and post the pics here.

If there is lots of rock in the tank you can remove some and that will give you more water for the fish.

What sort of filter is on the tank?

As stated by TekFish, it's more likely a water quality issue.
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day until this is resolved.
Reduce feeding to a small amount every second day.

Photograph the fish and post the pics here.

If there is lots of rock in the tank you can remove some and that will give you more water for the fish.

What sort of filter is on the tank?

The Fluval Edge comes with a small HOB, I have my Betta in one. It's a very low power filter.

Moving fish is pretty stressful already (for the fish). Something to consider is that your tap water may be different to that which the fish are used to.

If this is the case and you have already changed the water the best that you can do is provide the best possible environment, which is clean fresh water.

Once you have the test results please post the results for GH and pH to help us advise better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back