Feeding time/quantity

ambrosia0440 20

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 17, 2026
Messages
219
Reaction score
162
Points
43
Location
Andalusia, Spain
Hi! I have a 105L (~27G), 25ºC (a bit more bc of summer), 7,2 PH, 125 hardness, 80 alkalinity, cycled with almost no nitrates (because of the floaters and plants I guess).
I have 12 boraras merah, 7 gastrodermus nanus, 15 neocaridinas, 3 amano shirmp and 3 clithon corona (+ a lot of ramshorns and bladders).
Currently I'm following this schedule:
  • Monday: 6mg (super small spoon) of crushed tropical bug fluval bites (for phoenixs) and 1 stick of Pleco formula fluval bug bites (and a half bc amanos love stealing them, I wanted sinking pellets but were out of stock).
  • Tuesday: 6mg (super small spoon) of crushed tropical bug fluval bites (for phoenixs) and 1 stick of Pleco formula fluval bug bites (and a half bc amanos love stealing them, I wanted sinking pellets but were out of stock).
  • Wednesday: 6mg (super small spoon) of crushed tropical bug fluval bites (for phoenixs), 1 stick of Pleco formula fluval bug bites (and a half bc amanos love stealing them, I wanted sinking pellets but were out of stock) and a bit of shrimp cuisine (1-2 pinches).
  • Thursday: 6mg (super small spoon) of crushed tropical bug fluval bites (for phoenixs) and 1 stick of Pleco formula fluval bug bites (and a half bc amanos love stealing them, I wanted sinking pellets but were out of stock).
  • Friday: Half a cube of frozen brine shrimp (with I cut more with scizors so the phoenix can eat them better) and 2 snail algae wafers.
  • Saturday: Nothing.
  • Sunday: 6mg (super small spoon) of crushed tropical bug fluval bites (for phoenixs), 1 stick of Pleco formula fluval bug bites (and a half bc amanos love stealing them, I wanted sinking pellets but were out of stock) and a bit of shrimp cuisine (1-2 pinches).
Any advice/changes?
I still don't know much about fish body language but I can see the full bellies on the boraras merah.

Also, I'm going out for a week, so I'm letting my parents feed them once every 2-3 days (still haven't decided) with the crushed food already made and with the spoon so they don't overfeed (and 1 stick). I have indian almond leaves for the shrimp and there's microfauna in the tank so I'm sure they'll be fine
 
I often go away for 2 weeks and don't feed the fish. They are fine - fry even grow in planted tanks. I also skip a feeding once a week for adult fish. Feeding is an overlooked art - too much and you kill your fish. You appear to have the amounts going well.
 
I often go away for 2 weeks and don't feed the fish. They are fine - fry even grow in planted tanks. I also skip a feeding once a week for adult fish. Feeding is an overlooked art - too much and you kill your fish. You appear to have the amounts going well.
I had a single CPD fry in a shrimp tank that i missed. I never fed it for 6 weeks or more and it was growing by itself. In the end I moved it another tank to feed.
Myself I try to skip a couple of days a week from feeding unless I intend to breed.
 
The general rule (not saying it is a good rule) is all they can eat in 5 minutes or less; if you see food on the ground it is very bad as it will turn into ammonia as it decays. There are of course expections as some fishes are night feeders and want some veggie put in overnight (but you don't have any of those). Your fishes are pretty small and won't produce a lot of nitrate; i would be more concern if nitrate build up after a year or two.

I tend to feed young fishes once or twice a day and older fishes once a day at most. FAT fishes are unhealthy fishes and fishes that are bones are unhealthy. Those are long term indicators - one amazing thing is if a fish is being underfed it will become more aggressive at eating so that can also be a good indicator - if fishes just sort of come by for food they are definitely not under-fed.

Of course some fishes will always eat no matter what with assertion so like all rules it is not that great but I have had underfed fishes (esp those imported) that showed extreme aggression until they put on a bit of weight.

I had one little clown loach that was all bones and for the first month he would steal a nice size pellet and viciously attack anyone who came near while he ate it - luckily after a month or three he put on some weight and ate more normally.
 
Your awareness to feeding is a good thing as overfeeding has probably led to many of the issues today. Going away…….premeasure your foods and put the exact amount for each day in tiny jars. Each jar is marked so only it is administered. I buy those small plastic artist jars for this….they work great. And doing feedings every other day is a good idea just to minimize the chances of water parameter problems that an untrained eye would miss.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top