What's new
Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Aynia

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Aynia. I've already posted a few threads on the forum and realized that I never did an introduction post.

About me: I'm from Ontario, I love anything geeky/nerdy, anything artsy or crafty and I absolutely love animals. I'm a bit of a crazy cat lady but have recently really become interested in fish the past few months.

We have a 38 gal Marineland bowfront tank, with an Aquaclear 70 and a Penguin (100?). Both filters are completely stuffed with filter floss, sponge and bio balls. We currently have 6 Blue Moscow Fancy Guppies, two Bristlenose Plecos and 3 Yoyo Loaches. Plant wise we have 4 moss balls and 2 Anubias plants.

We ended up getting fish a bit early, we still haven't gotten enough bacteria to turn nitrites into nitrates yet, so we are frantically trying to keep the fish alive until the tank finishes it's cycle. We've already lost 3 loaches and are worried about the rest due to fluctuating parameters. We're doing a 50% water change every other day, dosing with Prime on the in between days. On average our water parameters are below:

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0-.25
Nitrites: 1-2ppm
Nitrates: 10-20ppm

I don't really know anything about general hardness, I still need to learn what it is and how it affects the tank. If anyone has any advice to speed up the cycle or help make sure we save our fish, it's very welcome.

Peop!e use SafeStart or Dr Tim one and only bacteria supplement s. I have only used Fluval bacteria which meant I never saw ammonia but did have nitrite so I don't think that one will help you.

Last edited:
We're using Stability by SeaChem as our bacterial supplement, we put some in the tank as well as some in both filters every water change. We've pretty much got the whole line of SeaChem stuff now lol

Do a lot of water changes. This will get the old out, and the new in. Welcome to the wonderful work of fish! :hi:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back