8-10 Iriatherina werneri instead of rasboras.
Peacock gudgeons should be fine with pygmy cories. The gudgeons only reach 1-2 inches max and have small mouths.

Avoid most of the plants in post 27. Rotala macranda is fine.
Get some Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, narrow or twisted Vallis and some Water Sprite.
Frogbit looks great. I can put all the water sprite kind of down the middle to fill space. And those are some cool rainbow fish! Much appreciated

Water sprite can float or be planted. It grows faster as a floating plant so I usually recommend buying 1 or 2 plants, let them spread over the surface, then plant some up

For the sake of the corydoras and gudgeons, you may be want to only have a little bit of gravel at the bottom. Sometimes by them staying near the bottom, they rub and injure themselves on the rocks. Otherwise I love all the plant choices! I can't wait to see it when its done!

I would add some good floating plants to seal the deal. Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Frogbit are good; smaller floaters like Salvinia help too.

I still say do not add ammonia. This is not needed, and it is a risk to the plants.
I'll add some small floating plants, I want to add some amazon swords to really bring the tank together as well, and thank you for the "silent cycle" tip! Also, I did not add ammonia, I am worried about my plants right now though, I have only done fake plant and décor tanks in the past and this is my first planted, will I need to fertilize during the fishless period?

For the sake of the corydoras and gudgeons, you may be want to only have a little bit of gravel at the bottom. Sometimes by them staying near the bottom, they rub and injure themselves on the rocks. Otherwise I love all the plant choices! I can't wait to see it when its done!
Yea I was thinking that as well for the corys, I just love the nice natural look of gravel with the plants, even without fish I find myself admiring it lol. I was thinking of making the middle of the tank more sand and removing some rock so at least they'll have some soft spaces to mingle in. Though, my last tank from years ago had more jagged gravel and I had a group of cory's that thrived, seen lots of mixed views on cory substrate.

The plants all seem to be blending well together and finding their rooting now.

Yea I was thinking that as well for the corys, I just love the nice natural look of gravel with the plants, even without fish I find myself admiring it lol. I was thinking of making the middle of the tank more sand and removing some rock so at least they'll have some soft spaces to mingle in. Though, my last tank from years ago had more jagged gravel and I had a group of cory's that thrived, seen lots of mixed views on cory substrate.

The plants all seem to be blending well together and finding their rooting now.
That sounds good! I would also remove a bike t in the front as well so they can swim near there. It took my gudgeons a month or two but anytime me or my mom comes into the room the gudgeons follows us around and if they can't they just kinda lay near the front of the tank or dart near it

If any Corydoras species are intended, the substrate cannot be gravel. It must be sand. Gravel causes bacterial issues, it cannot be sifted through their gills as they need to do, and if it is at all sharp damage can be severe.

That sounds good! I would also remove a bike t in the front as well so they can swim near there. It took my gudgeons a month or two but anytime me or my mom comes into the room the gudgeons follows us around and if they can't they just kinda lay near the front of the tank or dart near it
Oops for some reason it auto corrected "little" to "bike"... Sorry that my device did that 😅

If any Corydoras species are intended, the substrate cannot be gravel. It must be sand. Gravel causes bacterial issues, it cannot be sifted through their gills as they need to do, and if it is at all sharp damage can be severe.
Which brings me to removing a large portion of gravel from the tank and adding some more sand in. Probably do a large sand bank right down the middle of the tank and the gravel that remains is smooth enough that they should not get injured from

Which brings me to removing a large portion of gravel from the tank and adding some more sand in. Probably do a large sand bank right down the middle of the tank and the gravel that remains is smooth enough that they should not get injured from
Will you have decor in the center like driftwood? If so that won't work because the sand would be covered... Its best to remove a good portion from the front and back (one would be hidden and then the other would be open)

OK, but from a visual perspective, the gravel and sand will in time mix together, unless there is some sort of divider siliconed to the tank base to separate the substances. I really would suggest all sand with wood and river rock as accents.

And earlier you asked about plant fertilizer...yes, in a new aquarium there is obviously no (or very little) organic matter, so the plants need a good start. Substrate rooted plants like swords will benefit from substrate tabs; the best I have found is Flourish Tabs. And Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium is an excellent liquid plant supplement. I always use this initially at two doses for the first week, then once there are fish I reduce the liquid.

OK, but from a visual perspective, the gravel and sand will in time mix together, unless there is some sort of divider siliconed to the tank base to separate the substances. I really would suggest all sand with wood and river rock as accents.

And earlier you asked about plant fertilizer...yes, in a new aquarium there is obviously no (or very little) organic matter, so the plants need a good start. Substrate rooted plants like swords will benefit from substrate tabs; the best I have found is Flourish Tabs. And Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium is an excellent liquid plant supplement. I always use this initially at two doses for the first week, then once there are fish I reduce the liquid.
Good point, I have used the Flourish Tabs already but now I really want to remove as much gravel as I can and pop a couple more pounds of sand in, probably going to keep the gravel to the side and back edges only and allow for more sand space all around.

Update. I removed about 75% of the gravel, added more river bed sand, an amazon sword, Java fern and an anubias. I want to cover the background more in plants as the mud and foreground are covered, any advice? Also picking up some frogbit later.

Also upon the substrate change, my water has since become a little murky. I’d rather let nature do it’s thing and let it clear but is this normal at this point of the cycle?

Update. I removed about 75% of the gravel, added more river bed sand, an amazon sword, Java fern and an anubias. I want to cover the background more in plants as the mud and foreground are covered, any advice? Also picking up some frogbit later.

Also upon the substrate change, my water has since become a little murky. I’d rather let nature do it’s thing and let it clear but is this normal at this point of the cycle?
When I redid my tank and messed with the substrate it got really cloudy. I will show a pic of how cloudy it was. This is just the tank doing a mini cycle because you messed with the substrate which carries a ton of bacteria. Mine settled in a few days.
This picture was actually a day after because I deleted the one from right after... But I can guarantee it was more cloudy than this

0417222119.jpg

When I redid my tank and messed with the substrate it got really cloudy. I will show a pic of how cloudy it was. This is just the tank doing a mini cycle because you messed with the substrate which carries a ton of bacteria. Mine settled in a few days.
This picture was actually a day after because I deleted the one from right after... But I can guarantee it was more cloudy than this

View attachment 158826
Yea mine is exactly like this, a little more green tint to mine though but it’s clearing up as we speak

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back