FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Donnyyy

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have tried to find some good forums for getting back into the hobby but none seem to be very active or as engaging as this one.

I've run quite a few successful tanks in the past but havent done so in a while. I set-up a 20 gallon high, planted tank. Theres about 8 different plants in there with layered substrate of gravel and some sand on the bottom, red slate rocks, driftwood covered in flame moss and some mini caves. I'm running a Penguin Biowheel 150, Fluval heater, and the standard LED light under the hood, though I do have a full spectrum strip light I can add in for blue light capability (if even necessary?). So far cycling has been going great the past 2 weeks, bacterial bloom occurred and cleared the first few days and the tank seems to be in a stasis period right now.

I have the API master test kit and so far I'm getting 7.6 pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, and 0 nitrites every 2-3 days since starting. I thought this was odd and have triple checked and ensured I performed the tests correctly as well. The plants are doing well, I've added some food to the tank to help here and there. I should note the tank itself was used prior to me getting it but I thoroughly rinsed it and the filter and heater are new. I'm curious if im doing anything wrong or should i just keep waiting it out or even slowly add some fish in.

And sorry for the long post but this brings me to my stocking question. I plan on putting in 6 Forktail Blue Eye Dwarf Rainbows, a pair of bolivian rams, and 5-6 pygmy cories. I used AQ advisor and it said my stocking level was 86% which is just above what I go by in the 85% rule but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this interesting stocking idea?

Thank you to anyone that read this, I'm glad to join this community and look forward to interacting with everyone here!

I have a 20H as well and I have a breeding pair of peacock gudgeons but 3-4 would also work well. I am also looking into lambchop rasboras.

I like your stocking plan but I dont think Bolivian rams are a good idea in that size of tank... They require a minimum of 20g but a 20g LONG not high... I really wanted Bolivian rams as well but after looking into their requirements it just seemed better suited to not do them in a 20H. The forktails are ok but still would be better to see them in something larger. And the pygmies are perfect for your tank size.

I have a 20H as well and I have a breeding pair of peacock gudgeons but 3-4 would also work well. I am also looking into lambchop rasboras.

I like your stocking plan but I dont think Bolivian rams are a good idea in that size of tank... They require a minimum of 20g but a 20g LONG not high... I really wanted Bolivian rams as well but after looking into their requirements it just seemed better suited to not do them in a 20H. The forktails are ok but still would be better to see them in something larger. And the pygmies are perfect for your tank size.
Much appreciated! I did a lot of research on the forktails and thought they could go either way in this tank, theyre not entirely too big but are very active and I think in a high maybe it'll just be enough, other option is chili rasboras and maybe apistos?

Edit: Already learning new stuff on here, Gudgeons look amazing, such an interesting variety from what i see so far!

Hi, welcome to the forum :hi:

A 20 gallon high has a 24 x 12 footprint doesn't it? If that's right, I think bolivian rams need a bigger footprint. But there are other dwarf cichlids which would be OK in that size - many of the apistogrammas for example.

Do you know how hard your water is? Most dwarf cichlids and cories are soft water fish while the rainbows are hard water fish. Sorry, it sounds like I'm shooting down your wish list. Before looking at fish species further, can you find out your water hardness, please. If you are on mains water, your water provider's website should tell you. You need a number and the unit of measurement as there are several they could use.

Much appreciated! I did a lot of research on the forktails and thought they could go either way in this tank, theyre not entirely too big but are very active and I think in a high maybe it'll just be enough, other option is chili rasboras and maybe apistos?
Chilli rasboras are very cool and would work amazing in a 20H. I wouldnt exceed 2-1/2 inches when it comes to fish in this tank size. Even 2-1/2 inches is a bit big but if they are not active swimmers and don't produce a high bio-load, they should be fine. I would not do cichlid type fish like Apistos and Rams. You could go for gourami like dwarf honeys or sparkling gourami. Then of course there are peacock gudgeons which are my favorite nano fish

Hi, welcome to the forum :hi:

A 20 gallon high has a 24 x 12 footprint doesn't it? If that's right, I think bolivian rams need a bigger footprint. But there are other dwarf cichlids which would be OK in that size - many of the apistogrammas for example.

Do you know how hard your water is? Most dwarf cichlids and cories are soft water fish while the rainbows are hard water fish. Sorry, it sounds like I'm shooting down your wish list. Before looking at fish species further, can you find out your water hardness, please. If you are on mains water, your water provider's website should tell you. You need a number and the unit of measurement as there are several they could use.
No worries, please shoot down anything that seems illogical! I'm here to learn. I downloaded my towns annual water report, heres the quote " The pH of the pumped water is adjusted upward to about 7.2 to reduce corrosive action between the water and water mains and in-house plumbing by the addition of lime (calcium hydroxide). Chlorine is also added to the water for disinfecting purposes. The hardness of our water is considered low (soft). We average 36ppm. Hardness expressed as calcium carbonate(CACO3), increases the consumption of soap."

So I take it forktails are out :(

I am trying to create a unique stocking idea and really appreciate your help. I do like apistos and as rocky mentioned here Gudgeons look like a real interesting stocking idea

Chilli rasboras are very cool and would work amazing in a 20H. I wouldnt exceed 2-1/2 inches when it comes to fish in this tank size. Even 2-1/2 inches is a bit big but if they are not active swimmers and don't produce a high bio-load, they should be fine. I would not do cichlid type fish like Apistos and Rams. You could go for gourami like dwarf honeys or sparkling gourami. Then of course there are peacock gudgeons which are my favorite nano fish
Everywhere I look, people are saying avoid gouramis right now, apparently something is spreading?? My buddy owns and operates his own aquarium custom build and install business and he said he's not stocking any gouramis because of this sadly. I'm leaning toward the gudgeon idea now though, thank you for showing me such a nice fish!

Everywhere I look, people are saying avoid gouramis right now, apparently something is spreading?? My buddy owns and operates his own aquarium custom build and install business and he said he's not stocking any gouramis because of this sadly. I'm leaning toward the gudgeon idea now though, thank you for showing me such a nice fish!
Its dwarf gouramis you want avoid. The only dwarf sepcies I would trust is tge honey gourami. The other dwarf ones have diseases that they always get when shipped around and stuff.

And no problem! I love sharing that species (it is my favorite after all 😉)...

Also the thing I said about Apistogrammas was my own opinion. I wouldnt keep them in the size of tank we have but you can if you want. Its kind of a decision that you have to make morally with the size of fish and tank...

You will find the right fish! And you are off to a good start!

You have nice soft water :)

The real problem is dwarf gouramis. By the time they reach the store they are often infected by at least one of two incurable diseases (dwarf gourami disease and fish tb). The other species seem to be OK - at least for the present.

Honey gouramis would be OK in your tank. They come in 2 colours - natural (golden tan male, silvery beige female) and yellow (both males and females) You will see red honeys or red robins for sale but these are actually the larger thick lipped gouramis.

Its dwarf gouramis you want avoid. The only dwarf sepcies I would trust is tge honey gourami. The other dwarf ones have diseases that they always get when shipped around and stuff.

And no problem! I love sharing that species (it is my favorite after all 😉)...

Also the thing I said about Apistogrammas was my own opinion. I wouldnt keep them in the size of tank we have but you can if you want. Its kind of a decision that you have to make morally with the size of fish and tank...

You will find the right fish! And you are off to a good start!
You have nice soft water :)

The real problem is dwarf gouramis. By the time they reach the store they are often infected by at least one of two incurable diseases (dwarf gourami disease and fish tb). The other species seem to be OK - at least for the present.

Honey gouramis would be OK in your tank. They come in 2 colours - natural (golden tan male, silvery beige female) and yellow (both males and females) You will see red honeys or red robins for sale but these are actually the larger thick lipped gouramis.
Thank you both for the input, I definitely like honey gourami's, except I don't want them to be just OK, I'm now leaning the Gudgeon route, Rocky made me Gudgeon converter at this point lol after looking more into them. Now what would be an interesting schooling fish or anything else to add with them (aside from the pygmy cories)

Thank you both for the input, I definitely like honey gourami's, except I don't want them to be just OK, I'm now leaning the Gudgeon route, Rocky made me Gudgeon converter at this point lol after looking more into them. Now what would be an interesting schooling fish or anything else to add with them (aside from the pygmy cories)
You make it sound like I held up a weapon to convince you 😅

You make it sound like I held up a weapon to convince you 😅
ahahah not quite but, just ensuring a happy and healthy fish environment was the real weapon. Plus they seem to come in good variety and provide exactly what I'm looking for!

ahahah not quite but, just ensuring a happy and healthy fish environment was the real weapon. Plus they seem to come in good variety and provide exactly what I'm looking for!
Just dont get more than one male and get them all at the sane time...

There are lots of gudgeon species but some of them need brackish to full salt water and some grow too big. The ones Rocky has are peacock gudgeons, also called peacock gobies, latin name Tateurndina ocellicauda. As Rocky has discovered (I did tell him!) they like to breed in the tightest of spaces, I found sections of 3/4 inch pipe was about the right size.

Just dont get more than one male and get them all at the sane time...
There are lots of gudgeon species but some of them need brackish to full salt water and some grow too big. The ones Rocky has are peacock gudgeons, also called peacock gobies, latin name Tateurndina ocellicauda. As Rocky has discovered (I did tell him!) they like to breed in the tightest of spaces, I found sections of 3/4 inch pipe was about the right size.
You two have been amazing, once I stock and have everything completely ready, I'll be sure to post some pics for you! Peacock Gudgeons and Chili Rasboras with the pygmy cories sound like a plan?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back