You two have been amazing, once I stock and have everything completely ready, I'll be sure to post some pics for you! Peacock Gudgeons and Chili Rasboras with the pygmy cories sound like a plan?
Thanks! That sounds like a nice group of fish. Now its just all about the numbers of them...
There are lots of gudgeon species but some of them need brackish to full salt water and some grow too big. The ones Rocky has are peacock gudgeons, also called peacock gobies, latin name Tateurndina ocellicauda. As Rocky has discovered (I did tell him!) they like to breed in the tightest of spaces, I found sections of 3/4 inch pipe was about the right size.
Or get a holey piece of dragon rock and they will be producing a ton of eggs

Thanks! That sounds like a nice group of fish. Now its just all about the numbers of them...

Or get a holey piece of dragon rock and they will be producing a ton of eggs
Peacock Pair, 6 Pygmy's, and 8 Chilis, seems to be an ideal amount. I know AQAdvisor is not like the ultimate stocking barometer but as a baseline rough evaluation it shows the tank 76% stocked, I can manage that easily if this is the case

Peacock Pair, 6 Pygmy's, and 8 Chilis, seems to be an ideal amount. I know AQAdvisor is not like the ultimate stocking barometer but as a baseline rough evaluation it shows the tank 76% stocked, I can manage that easily if this is the case
Get 3-4 gudgeons and then let 2 pair off. Getting two and hoping one is male and one is female is not good... I got 3 and one died (pretty sure it was a juvenile male)

Also, and maybe I missed it, you said your tank has been cycling for two weeks and is reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates and that you’ve added some fish food. I’d add ammonia and make sure the tank is fully cycled before adding fish. It usually takes several weeks to complete this. @Essjay knows more and helped me successfully get mine cycled, it’s been smooth sailing ever since.

Just mentioning since we get a lot of sad, fish death posts around here due to ammonia spikes, etc. resulting from adding fish too soon.

I forgot to mention that :blush:

Cycling with fish food is not the most accurate way. You cannot know how much ammonia has been made from the rotting food so you cannot know how many bacteria have grown. The safest way is to add ammonia and follow this method

Also, and maybe I missed it, you said your tank has been cycling for two weeks and is reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates and that you’ve added some fish food. I’d add ammonia and make sure the tank is fully cycled before adding fish. It usually takes several weeks to complete this. @Essjay knows more and helped me successfully get mine cycled, it’s been smooth sailing ever since.

Just mentioning since we get a lot of sad, fish death posts around here due to ammonia spikes, etc. resulting from adding fish too soon.
I forgot to mention that :blush:

Cycling with fish food is not the most accurate way. You cannot know how much ammonia has been made from the rotting food so you cannot know how many bacteria have grown. The safest way is to add ammonia and follow this method
Believe me, I'm in no rush to add fish (Even though I did have thoughts of it before). I am following the cycling guidelines and want happy and healthy fish, I will dose some ammonia tonight. I too have seen so many sad new fish stories from not properly cycling, I am also planning on phasing the fish in as to not disrupt the tank and taking it little by little, I think that's what made my first beginner tanks easier to handle and learn from years ago. Thanks guys!

Get 3-4 gudgeons and then let 2 pair off. Getting two and hoping one is male and one is female is not good... I got 3 and one died (pretty sure it was a juvenile male)
When I phase the fish in, I think I'll start with the gudgeons and go with the 3-4 and hope it goes well. I'll be sure to message you in the future if I have any questions with them!

When I phase the fish in, I think I'll start with the gudgeons and go with the 3-4 and hope it goes well. I'll be sure to message you in the future if I have any questions with them!
That is a good idea! I would add the corydoras in with them though

I would not recommend using ammonia. Plants doing well was mentioned in the first post, so if you have plants you should not add ammonia. You risk harming the plants. Plus, the plants are taking up any ammonia present naturally, which is why you should see zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrate with your tests. Plants do what we call a "silent cycle," because the minimal ammonia that gets by them will establish the nitrifying bacteria but it will not be sufficient to show up in the tests. A photo of the tank would help us know they are sufficient. Faster-growing plants, esp floating plants, are ideal.

The pygmy cories must have a larger group. Twelve would be better, or a few more. I personally would be very watchful of the gudgeons with this tiny cory, they are very delicate.

And welcome to TFF. :hi:

The pygmy cories must have a larger group. Twelve would be better, or a few more. I personally would be very watchful of the gudgeons with this tiny cory, they are very delicate.
Are you sure? 12 in this size of aquarium? Also, in my experience these gusgeons only get 1-2"... I have seen people say they get 3" but I jave never seen proof of this in photos, videos, or in person. Mine are fully grown just over an inch. The gudgeons will show a little chasing with each other and POSSIBLY the Corydoras. But if you add them all together that shouldnt be a problem. Everyone I have talked to about these gudgeons say they are really peaceful with other species but just show a tiny bit of aggression to their own species...

And about the ammonia... I forget what plants he has or if he mentioned what plants he has but if he just puts in 1-1/2 ppm ammonia to see what happens, that should be fine. If his tabk is relatively cycled I wouldnt be too worried about popping in some ammonia to check (no fish in of course). I wouldnt add a full 3ppm ammonia so half should be ok to check and if all is good just do a large WC and then you can add fish.

I would not recommend using ammonia. Plants doing well was mentioned in the first post, so if you have plants you should not add ammonia. You risk harming the plants. Plus, the plants are taking up any ammonia present naturally, which is why you should see zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrate with your tests. Plants do what we call a "silent cycle," because the minimal ammonia that gets by them will establish the nitrifying bacteria but it will not be sufficient to show up in the tests. A photo of the tank would help us know they are sufficient. Faster-growing plants, esp floating plants, are ideal.

And welcome to TFF. :hi:
Are you sure? 12 in this size of aquarium? Also, in my experience these gusgeons only get 1-2"... I have seen people say they get 3" but I jave never seen proof of this in photos, videos, or in person. Mine are fully grown just over an inch. The gudgeons will show a little chasing with each other and POSSIBLY the Corydoras. But if you add them all together that shouldnt be a problem. Everyone I have talked to about these gudgeons say they are really peaceful with other species but just show a tiny bit of aggression to their own species...

And about the ammonia... I forget what plants he has or if he mentioned what plants he has but if he just puts in 1-1/2 ppm ammonia to see what happens, that should be fine. If his tabk is relatively cycled I wouldnt be too worried about popping in some ammonia to check (no fish in of course). I wouldnt add a full 3ppm ammonia so half should be ok to check and if all is good just do a large WC and then you can add fish.
So far right now I have these in. I posted a picture of the tank from a week ago. I still can’t figure out how to fill space in the foreground and middle as I mentioned I’m picking up some caves and rocks to create some more hiding spaces. Not sure what other plants to add either or if I even need to.
Rotala Macrandra Mini × 1
Lead Bunch
mail
Anubias Minima × 1
Pot
mail
Hydrocotyle Verticillata × 1
mail
Cryptocoryne 'Tropica' × 1
Pot
mail
Cryptocoryne Parva × 1
Pot
mail
Hemianthus Micranthemoides (Pearl Weed) × 1
Bunch
mail
Hedyotis Salzmannii × 1
3 Pot Package
mail
Flame Moss × 1
image.jpg

8-10 Iriatherina werneri instead of rasboras.
Peacock gudgeons should be fine with pygmy cories. The gudgeons only reach 1-2 inches max and have small mouths.

Avoid most of the plants in post 27. Rotala macranda is fine.
Get some Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, narrow or twisted Vallis and some Water Sprite.

8-10 Iriatherina werneri instead of rasboras.
Peacock gudgeons should be fine with pygmy cories. The gudgeons only reach 1-2 inches max and have small mouths.

Avoid most of the plants in post 27. Rotala macranda is fine.
Get some Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, narrow or twisted Vallis and some Water Sprite.
Interesting. Most of the plants were hand picked by a friend of mine in the industry saying they’d do great in this tank. So far so good. I’ll look into those other plants

I would add some good floating plants to seal the deal. Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Frogbit are good; smaller floaters like Salvinia help too.

I still say do not add ammonia. This is not needed, and it is a risk to the plants.

Most reactions

Back