Update. I removed about 75% of the gravel, added more river bed sand, an amazon sword, Java fern and an anubias. I want to cover the background more in plants as the mud and foreground are covered, any advice? Also picking up some frogbit later.

Also upon the substrate change, my water has since become a little murky. I’d rather let nature do it’s thing and let it clear but is this normal at this point of the cycle?

Yes, cloudiness is normal. This is a bacterial bloom primarily. There are dissolved organics in the tap water (you would be surprised how "dirty" tap water is) and the bacteria that feed on these multiply rapidly, about every 20 minutes, since they have so much food available. It will clear naturally; I have had it take days, other times a few hours, I assume it depends upon the food source.

Yes, cloudiness is normal. This is a bacterial bloom primarily. There are dissolved organics in the tap water (you would be surprised how "dirty" tap water is) and the bacteria that feed on these multiply rapidly, about every 20 minutes, since they have so much food available. It will clear naturally; I have had it take days, other times a few hours, I assume it depends upon the food source.
image.jpg

Update: woke up and tank was a little cloudier today. Not too worried at all really just want an opinion on the aesthetic, my first planted tank and I’m still learning about aquascaping! I think the peacock gudgeons and corydoras will enjoy it hopefully.

As a suggestion...if this were me, I would do a major water change, right down close to the sand. Refill using tap water but do not use a conditioner. You have no fish, and the chlorine will not harm plants (it in fact is a nutrient). The reason for this is that the bacteria are not so liable to multiply in chlorinated water. I have noted that when I do the water changes and do not chlorinate the water in my spare tank (well planted but no fish, it is run to have a tank ready for new fish) it clears much faster than the other tanks that are conditioned. This might get this under control faster.

As a suggestion...if this were me, I would do a major water change, right down close to the sand. Refill using tap water but do not use a conditioner. You have no fish, and the chlorine will not harm plants (it in fact is a nutrient). The reason for this is that the bacteria are not so liable to multiply in chlorinated water. I have noted that when I do the water changes and do not chlorinate the water in my spare tank (well planted but no fish, it is run to have a tank ready for new fish) it clears much faster than the other tanks that are conditioned. This might get this under control faster.
That was my mistake, I did a 25% water change with conditioned tap water not too long ago. I just performed another partial change and the water already looks better, thanks a ton! Also I noticed my biowheel and filter cartridge have some buildup, is this just bacteria colonizing?

That was my mistake, I did a 25% water change with conditioned tap water not too long ago. I just performed another partial change and the water already looks better, thanks a ton! Also I noticed my biowheel and filter cartridge have some buildup, is this just bacteria colonizing?

You can't see bacteria, they are microscopic and live on surfaces. The brown gunk is organic matter, and should be rinsed off. I usually rinse the filter (when it is a smallish filter as opposed to a canister) during the weekly water change.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back