Starting a Kuhli Loach tank?

Ophy

New Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2026
Messages
40
Reaction score
51
Points
18
Location
oregon
HI all! I got a 20gal tall and I would like to build the scape and stock around a school of Kuhli Loaches.
I'm still in the planning/research phase of this tank so any advice on substrate, plants, decor/rocks, other inhabitants would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Charlie
 
You can't have too many plants but as chirpik i want to stress that you want soft fine substrate. they love to dig and tunnel. Any peaceful small tank mate will work if you want fishes found in their location then you want small rasboras, sparking gourami and various wild betta and licorice gourami (this fish as well as wild betta require blackwater conditions; that is extremely pure acidic water).

If you just want compatible fishes any small peaceful rasbora or tetra such as chili, ember, green neon... sparkling gourami can add a bit of sparkels.

Don't over populate, make sure you get a lot of khuli - if you go with one of the smaller species like sheffordi you could go with 20; if pangio kuhli maybe 10 - 20 high is not the best use of space if your focus is kuhli ;)
 
Hi Charlie!! Also, Welcome 🤗 There are some incredibly knowledgeable people who just happen to love fish.
Although I'm still considered a 'newbie', I watched this forum for a long time before joining, while making every mistake in the book when I decided 'it would be nice to have some fish to care for and look at', adding two years ago.
I now have around 300 fish, and 5 aquariums - most of which are the result of happy, healthy Panda & Peppered corydoras. The majority of my learning has come from the wonderful people in this forum.
The other fish I adore and have happen to be kuhli loaches - 3 striped and 2 black.
I am on the process of trying to rehome my 6 hectic magnificent, constantly spawning Peppered Corydoras.
Since having them, although they are great community fish and literally prefer to bed down next to their close buddies- the kuhlis - and the kuhlis are just as happy to have them close, the kuhlis don't come out to noodle around in the main tank like they used to when I only had my pandas.
I'm pretty sure it's because of the size, speed and bombastically unpredictable torpedoes chasing each other around whenever they aren't resting. The peppers corys are also voracious and pushy eaters.
I would like to get some more loaches as well, and I just can't keep up with the sheer volume of eggs the peppered corys produce.
Therefore, I don't recommend Peppered corydoras.
I 100% encourage you to consider Panda corys though. They are much more suited to the easily startled nature of kuhlis. The gentle, friendly nature of the pandas meant there was no competing or rushing when it came to eating, and the kuhlis were comfortable being out and about with the pandas most of the time - including daytime as I've learned that the fish seem happier with 3 smaller meals than 1 or 2 larger ones. I think it appeals more to their grazing nature, and the tank stays cleaner because of it.
I also have cherry shrimp and a single super calm mystery snail 🐌
Originally, I had a small school of green tetras who got along with everybody, but sadly lost them to ich when I added rasboras without QT way back in the beginning. I learned that lesson the hard way!
I hope I've been able to give you something constructive to think about and wish you all the very best with your kuhli tank!
I'll leave you with a couple of photos of my kuhlis - being kuhlis!!
20260402_144220.webp
20260112_203256.webp

20250806_002838.webp
20250619_081838.webp
 
My striped pangios (kuhlis) were much more mellow & out & about than the black p. oblongas I added later. Even a year or 2 later the oblongas were hyperactive. The striped p. semicincta kept to themselves., lounged in plants & waited for me at the door. No fighting of course, but very different behaviors. Sand is their preferred substrate. A 20g has a smaller footprint (floorspace) & I would go with all the same species, say 8 or 10.

I love rasboras! The tiny boraras species are pretty if a bit shy. I'd go with all 1 kind, say 12 or so & call your tank stocked. Fish are more interesting with more of the same species than trying for a few of several types.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top