April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I forgot to mention, I've seen both my plecos flare out their odentales on occasion. But with mine they look more like little bunches of puff balls that stick out from their "cheeks" and not the anemone-looking horror show that the OP is dealing with. At the same time though, they do move like "grasping hands" as has been described about OP's issues so I think we can rule out some sort of macro parasite as the movement is from the pleco's own anatomy.

My guess is it's some kind of infection (possibly fungal) that's attached directly to the odentales.

Eh. Are you sure that movement wasn't the pleco trying to flare it's cheek odontodes?

Watch the initial video, now watch this

Looks exactly the same to me. Only in the case they are infected odontodes and the pleco flaring them in annoyance/pain... Exact same placement, exact same shape. Exact same flaring, I don't see any mysterious tentacle creature
Like everyone else, I had no idea they had these things that could stick out like that! So bizarre looking. Very glad you happened along! I hope you don't mind that you'll be getting tagged in a lot of pleco threads from now on ;)
What causes this gill flaring ? Stress ? Pain ? Showing who's the boss ?
Was wondering the same thing, @Bub ? I know you've said he's likely flaring them in pain/annoyance in the video, but do you know what they usually use them for?
Regardless, I gotta admit, this is one of the more fascinating/interesting/unique threads I've ever read in 8+ years of fishkeeping...and of having plecos that long, of my own
Ditto! What an amazing thing to learn, and weird that it's not better known, but lots of people in this thread like you have had plecos for years, and never seen them do this, so perhaps that's why. Very cool info! Hope that OP's pleco recovers soon though, that looks as though it must be sore.

Was wondering the same thing, @Bub ? I know you've said he's likely flaring them in pain/annoyance in the video, but do you know what they usually use them for?
Usually it'll be as an act of self defense or territorial flaring. My plecos will flare at my Corydoras when if they are getting too picky with the food he is trying to eat. They will also use these spines when combating each other, this thread has an example of this. They can do some damage as well. You'll know all about it if one spines you while transferring it to a tank.

Usually it'll be as an act of self defense or territorial flaring. My plecos will flare at my Corydoras when if they are getting too picky with the food he is trying to eat. They will also use these spines when combating each other, this thread has an example of this. They can do some damage as well. You'll know all about it if one spines you while transferring it to a tank.
I have so much left to learn about plecos! Thank you, this is really good to know, and that video was a good demonstration of two males fighting. Their poor fins... hope that person separated them.

Would you mind if I pm-ed you a couple of questions about my starlight pleco(s) please? Just so I don't drag OP's thread off topic anymore

I wasn't aware that treatments like this existed. Good info.
The Microbe products are awesome!! I’ll never use any thing else in my tanks again. The products are superior. They even have a product that will cycle an aquarium in just a few hours. It is pure bacteria. It smells horrible but it supposed to. The smell will go away after five or 10 minutes in the aquarium. And even if you have just set up a tank with brand new sand this product will clear the water in a matter of a couple of hours. It is amazing.

The Microbe products are awesome!! I’ll never use any thing else in my tanks again. The products are superior. They even have a product that will cycle an aquarium in just a few hours. It is pure bacteria. It smells horrible but it supposed to. The smell will go away after five or 10 minutes in the aquarium. And even if you have just set up a tank with brand new sand this product will clear the water in a matter of a couple of hours. It is amazing.

Though I tend to be mostly hardware-centric when it comes to fish keeping, this degree of biological sophistication IS amazing. I look forward to seeing it in action.

Though I tend to be mostly hardware-centric when it comes to fish keeping, this degree of biological sophistication IS amazing. I look forward to seeing it in action.
So do I... but, how did our grand-parents manage cycle and fish maintenance without all this sophistication ?

So do I... but, how did our grand-parents manage cycle and fish maintenance without all this sophistication ?
I'd imagine the same way a lot of beginners do now... by putting water in a tank, adding fish a few at a time, and thinking of it as normal to lose a lot of them.

Lots of dead fish, but if they kept adding them only a few at a time, eventually the tank would cycle. People used to buy fish like zebra danios or platies specifically to do fish-in cycles. They'd pick a few hardy, cheap fish to cycle the tank, then return or keep them, but only really use them because it didn't matter so much to them if they died.

I'd imagine the same way a lot of beginners do now... by putting water in a tank, adding fish a few at a time, and thinking of it as normal to lose a lot of them.

Lots of dead fish, but if they kept adding them only a few at a time, eventually the tank would cycle. People used to buy fish like zebra danios or platies specifically to do fish-in cycles. They'd pick a few hardy, cheap fish to cycle the tank, then return or keep them, but only really use them because it didn't matter so much to them if they died.
As far as I remember my Dad and Granpa did nitrogen cycle.

Reactions: 663
As far as I remember my Dad and Granpa did nitrogen cycle.
I'm confused. What do you mean, they "did the nitrogen cycle"?
You asked how they managed to cycle a tank without a product like the bottled bacteria, is that right? Or do you mean your dad and grandpa would set up a tank and do a fishless cycle, using ammonia or fish food to kick start the cycling process?

I mean, yes, the nitrogen cycle existed then... but you said;

So I said;

Because fish-in cycling used to be pretty much the norm, I believe? @Essjay knows more about the history of fishkeeping. Hmm, I wonder whether there are any books about the history of fish keeping, and the evolution of the hobby over time? I'd love to read a book that went into depth about how things used to be done, compared to now.

Because fish-in cycling used to be pretty much the norm, I believe? @Essjay knows more about the history of fishkeeping. Hmm, I wonder whether there are any books about the history of fish keeping, and the evolution of the hobby over time? I'd love to read a book that went into depth about how things used to be done, compared to now.
Simply reading older fish care books should do a well enough job of that. When I was a kid I used to spend hours reading pet care books from the library and I remember a number of them saying to just throw some zebra danios in a new tank and feed them very sparingly for a couple weeks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back