The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a beautiful ruby red male crown tail named Mistletoe who has the best personality! Until I could get a new home for him I had him in a large glass vase (he was a christmas eve gift) 

He was in the vase for about 2.5 weeks, during his stay in the vase i did a 50% water change daily and a 100%water change once a week. He was very happy and showed his "sassy-ness" often, while in the vase he made HUGE bubble nest all the time, every night when i changed the water, another huge nest would be built the next morning. 

I have now changed him into a new home (a 1.5 gallon tank with a bubble blower and lamp that keeps the tank heated with plants) he is very happy in his new home and his personality has become even more elaborate, but since he has been in the new home he hasnt made 1 bubble nest! I plan on upgrading him to a 10 gallon tank in the near future with lots of plants and a cave to explore (no other fish) because my Mistletoe deserves the best! Is something wrong with him since he has not made a nest in is new home?! Should I move him back to the vase? Im confused!

with the flow of water it probably doesn't allow it to form and stay together, this is ok. unless you are planning on breeding him, it isn't a must have.
now when you are planning on upgrading him into a 10 gallon, you can put him with small tetras like neons, and or make it a nice shrimp tank. IMO i find that all fish should have some type of interaction around them, which allows then so show more sassy-ness xD and keeps them from getting bored.. i dunno i think of it as if i was stuck in a nice hotel all my life alone, just a though. even if i couldn't understand what the people were saying or doing, at least i wouldn't be bored :p

Thank You! I was so worried about him! And yes you've gotta love the sassy-ness! haha. I worry about him being with other fish because he is the most aggressive male Betta i have ever owned. I may try him out with some breeder female guppies to see how he does. 

Great to hear that you have upgraded him to a bigger home and will go bigger here soon.  He will appreciate it.  I suggest keeping him in the tank by himself as bettas are solitary by nature and do not get lonely.  Keep an eye on the temperature of the tank right now since you are heating it with a light.  Bettas need a stable temperature of at least 78F to stay their healthiest and without a heater in the tank itself it will be hard to keep the temperature stable.

Don't be too concerned over the lack of a bubblenest.  A bubblenest is really only a sign that a male is sexually mature.  Since the new tank has some water movement it is probably not the best for bubblenest making right now too.

course they are solitary creatures, but thinking in the wild when in their territory they should have some kind of animals around them like types of tetras etc. just a guess, as i have not looked into it fully lol, but makes senses.
with the tank that you have him in not, it wouldn't be wise to get any feeder guppies as the area were they swim, if he does have a large aggression he can kill the guppies. get them later on when you have the 10 gallon.

Thank You Wildbetta & Berryattack. I do check the water daily and add fresh water that is around 75-78 daily. And yes, even though feeder guppies are in fact meant to be eaten, i would never put them in a 1.5gal with my betta because that would be a guaranteed death tank for them! Thank you both for the reassurance!

BerryAttack said:
course they are solitary creatures, but thinking in the wild when in their territory they should have some kind of animals around them like types of tetras etc. just a guess, as i have not looked into it fully lol, but makes senses.
with the tank that you have him in not, it wouldn't be wise to get any feeder guppies as the area were they swim, if he does have a large aggression he can kill the guppies. get them later on when you have the 10 gallon.

The domesticated Bettas are not those that are in the wild, so it isn't a proper example. That would be like saying that humans should live in trees now that we've conquered flight. Our flight is not a natural property we possess, nor are the domestic Bettas like those that come from the wild.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back