Need urgent help with my red parrot fish!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nasy

Reaction score
Hello all,
I hope this reaches someone soon. I have had these red parrot fish for almost six years. Today I noticed that they swam to the top of the tank, started to loose their color, and are swimming erratically. I've never seen them have all these symptoms in one, and I am very confused and very scarred. I tried turning off the lights in the tank, which helped but only temporarily. I have left the light off, but they are still acting the same and I dont know what to do. We changed their water last week, and they were acting okay up to today. I don't know what to do.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

What are your water parameters? Any chance of a short video of their strange swimming patterns? (You May have to upload it to YouTube and then copy and paste the link here)

Sounds like some kind of ammonia nitrate spike, cant rule out without water test?
Nitrates nitrites ammonia, PH swings can do funny things to fish? Drastic temp swings?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

What are your water parameters? Any chance of a short video of their strange swimming patterns? (You May have to upload it to YouTube and then copy and paste the link here)
Hello, and thank you. I'm going to be very honest: I don't know much of the water parameters, I don't really know how to measure them. Today I woke up to them looking worse than yesterday, still out of color and at the surface. Here attached are pictures from this morning, and two video links with the movement I was able to catch.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 135
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 139
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG-7449.JPG
    IMG-7449.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 104
Sounds like some kind of ammonia nitrate spike, cant rule out without water test?
Nitrates nitrites ammonia, PH swings can do funny things to fish? Drastic temp swings?
Is there any way to check the ammonia or pH? Honestly things have been the same in the tank, we always have a heater that only turns on when the water gets too cold, but other than that things appeared the same. Here are a few pictures of them, and a video.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 133
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 136
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 100
Tank size?
Tank mates?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
PH?
GH?
How often do you do water changes?
How much water do you change at a time?

Is there any way to check the ammonia or pH? Honestly things have been the same in the tank, we always have a heater that only turns on when the water gets too cold, but other than that things appeared the same. Here are a few pictures of them, and a video.
Test strips or liquid drop test kit the liquid drop test kits are more accurate

Tank size?
Tank mates?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
PH?
GH?
How often do you do water changes?
How much water do you change at a time?
The tank size is 30 gallons
There are six total fish living in it.
As fir the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, I am going to get the water tester as soon as I can, as for I don't know yet :/.
We usually change the water once a month, and do either a 40-50% water change

The tank size is 30 gallons
There are six total fish living in it.
As fir the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, I am going to get the water tester as soon as I can, as for I don't know yet :/.
We usually change the water once a month, and do either a 40-50% water change
Thanks! Let us know as soon as you get test results:) what types of other fish are in there? Are they all the same?

Most members on here change 50% of their water weekly
I would suggest doing a daily water change of 50-75% until the problem is resolved

I definitely will! And yes, they are all the same red parrot fish. I will also start doing weekly water changes as well, I have been forgetting.

Btw I love your profile pic :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back