Need urgent help with my red parrot fish!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Haha. What type of fish do you have?
I currently only have rummynose tetras, otocinclus, a betta, guppies, platies, ghost shrimp, and some assorted snails

thanks! I have the snails and otos and rummynose in my 55g and my plates and gups in my 10g (they are still babies so dont need as much room) and my betta in my 3.5g

thanks! I have the snails and otos and rummynose in my 55g and my plates and gups in my 10g (they are still babies so dont need as much room) and my betta in my 3.5g
Dont know why my post was in bold

Before you get more fish I would suggest getting a bigger tank for your parrotfish. The minimum tank size for one is 30 gallons for one, with an additional 10 gallons for each other fish, for your 6 you would want a 80+ gallon tank and you could use the 30 for your new fish :)

Before you get more fish I would suggest getting a bigger tank for your parrotfish. The minimum tank size for one is 30 gallons for one, with an additional 10 gallons for each other fish, for your 6 you would want a 80+ gallon tank and you could use the 30 for your new fish :)
Of course, thank you :) I am just really hoping they make it through the night, so that I am able to go buy a water testing kit tomorrow

Of course, thank you :) I am just really hoping they make it through the night, so that I am able to go buy a water testing kit tomorrow
More large water changes never hurt :)
Are they all sick? Or just one?

The tank size is 30 gallons
There are six total fish living in it.
As fir the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, I am going to get the water tester as soon as I can, as for I don't know yet :/.
We usually change the water once a month, and do either a 40-50% water change
30 gallons is a bit small for 6 parrott fish. Not only do cichlids get large but they create a lot of waste as well, urine for fish is in the form of ammonia, any ammonia in the tank will be dangerous to fish. In a healthy tank the beneficial bacteria breaks the ammonia into a less toxic form, nitrite, and then another bacteria breaks that down to an even less toxic form, nitrate. Nitrates are only removed by water changes and while nitrate is the less toxic form of ammonia high levels of nitrates above 15-20ppm can be harmful to fish. Problems arise when the tank has too many fish that produce too much ammonia to break down all at once so ammonia accumulates in the tank as well as nitrites and nitrates. Live plants can help with this as plants absorb ammonia to grow. Fast growing stem plants take in a lot nitrates and ammonia and amazon swords are heavy feeders and native to where red parrots come from. Do a big water change then continue to do around 50% weekly water changes and your fish should feel better!:)

Whoa, yes please do not add any more fish to this tank.

I think 30 gallons is on the small side even for 1 blood parrot.

When in the right tank they can easily hit around 7 or so inches long. They are tall and bulky as well. They eat a lot and make tons of waste.

Awesome fish though. I have one in my 90 and he's one of my favorite fish.

I think it was mentioned already, but you'd heavily benefit from larger and more frequent water changes.

Especially for messy cichlids, you really should do at least 75% water changes once or twice a week.

Live plants can help with this as plants absorb ammonia to grow. Fast growing stem plants take in a lot nitrates and ammonia and amazon swords are heavy feeders and native to where red parrots come from. Do a big water change then continue to do around 50% weekly water changes and your fish should feel better!:)

And good luck with plants! My cichlids just destroy plants. Every week, when I trim down the anacharis from the other tank, I replant them in my 90. In a few days its all over the place. It becomes a floating plant and then a snack before the week is over.

I had swords in that tank for a little bit until I gave up on replanting every single plant every other day.

You might be able to get away with floating plants, but I'd assume you have some heavy flow at the surface from the filter.

And good luck with plants! My cichlids just destroy plants. Every week, when I trim down the anacharis from the other tank, I replant them in my 90. In a few days its all over the place. It becomes a floating plant and then a snack before the week is over.

I had swords in that tank for a little bit until I gave up on replanting every single plant every other day.

You might be able to get away with floating plants, but I'd assume you have some heavy flow at the surface from the filter.
Yup cichlids uproot plants because cichlids are diggers and theyll eat plants as well. Swords have deep roots and putting wood or large rocks around them could keep cichlids from digging them up.

Last edited:
30 gallons is a bit small for 6 parrott fish. Not only do cichlids get large but they create a lot of waste as well, urine for fish is in the form of ammonia, any ammonia in the tank will be dangerous to fish. In a healthy tank the beneficial bacteria breaks the ammonia into a less toxic form, nitrite, and then another bacteria breaks that down to an even less toxic form, nitrate. Nitrates are only removed by water changes and while nitrate is the less toxic form of ammonia high levels of nitrates above 15-20ppm can be harmful to fish. Problems arise when the tank has too many fish that produce too much ammonia to break down all at once so ammonia accumulates in the tank as well as nitrites and nitrates. Live plants can help with this as plants absorb ammonia to grow. Fast growing stem plants take in a lot nitrates and ammonia and amazon swords are heavy feeders and native to where red parrots come from. Do a big water change then continue to do around 50% weekly water changes and your fish should feel better!:)
Thank you very much :D I did a 30% water change today, and I can see my fish are not staying at the top very much. I will be doing water changes daily, and then switch to weekly once they are back to normal. And yes, I was going to pet smart later today to see what plants I could get.
More large water changes never hurt :)
Are they all sick? Or just one?

Haha I know what u mean. My fish will not allow anything inside the tank, no plants, other fish, nor decorations. Thankfully though I have been doing daily water changes and adding the bacteria needed, and they are slowly getting better :)

Thank you very much :D I did a 30% water change today, and I can see my fish are not staying at the top very much. I will be doing water changes daily, and then switch to weekly once they are back to normal. And yes, I was going to pet smart later today to see what plants I could get.

Haha I know what u mean. My fish will not allow anything inside the tank, no plants, other fish, nor decorations. Thankfully though I have been doing daily water changes and adding the bacteria needed, and they are slowly getting better :)
Awesome. I am glad they are doing better but I would suggest larger changes. It will help them recover faster ;)

Most reactions

trending

Back