Looking to keep an all female Betta tank. What do I need to know/be aware of?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

oisjdhfghdijfh

Reaction score
I've been looking to set up an all female Betta tank. It is a 40G that is ready for the fish. I've read up on the basics of keeping such a housing, but what are your tips for keeping an all-female tank?

I think a mesh isolation box is a must. I'm still adjusting my sorority. All the females need to be the same size or as close as possible. You dont particularly get all the females at the same time but if you don't you'll have to re introduce all of them into the tank again when all the females are eventually purchased. You want at least a hiding place for every two fish in the tank plus plants. Betta fins are sinsative so either get very dlsoft and delicate fale plantz or real plants ( we all love real plants because they are sooo benefitial to the tank) if you have a regular filter youll have to adjust it to slow the flow or get a sponge filter for em. A 40 gal will be beautiful for them, you can start out with a smooth 8-10+ females. You want some of those catappa almond leaves as well. Tank mates may help, my platys tend to try to stop the females from getting too aggressive with each other, but every fish is different. Having a sorority is like introducing two strangers cats, it'll take time for them to adjust and coexist in the same tank. You always want to be home when introducing new females. Don't leave them alone for more than like a few hours (no more than 3hrs in mpo) I'm still learning as well but I hope I was a help

Before getting fish I say plant it with all live plants. Live plants are a must for bettas. You can never have too many plants. Also, make sure the bettas are of a similar size when you add them. Try to pick the more docile females and make sure they are indeed females rather than immature males or short finned males. In a 40gal I think 15 females would do fine, but only if you have a ton of plants.

Check out Nick's thread, his sorority is wonderful.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/my-sorority-rebuild.445001/

I've been looking to set up an all female Betta tank. It is a 40G that is ready for the fish.
40 gallon is a good size. My sorority is in a 100 gallon 6 foot tank.

Tank mates may help, my platys tend to try to stop the females from getting too aggressive with each other
Sorry but I disagree. No tank mates unless they are bottom dwellers. Betta females a cunning and learn from each other and will co operate to deal with a annoying tank mate.

These breeder boxes are perfect for introducing Females to each other
Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Breeding-Breeder-Net-Case-Hospital-Baby-Box.jpg

When introducing a new female keep her in there for about 2 or 3 days.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back