Interested in SW...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Maybe persuade your parents that she needs at least a few friends, and that it's a welfare issue, not about wanting more fish. That it's not harder to move 6 danios than it is to move one.

But if not, then yes, it would still be better for her to be with others of her kind. It's sad when you're attached, but have seen you tell people about minimum numbers for schooling fish many times, you know better now. It's understandable that you didn't know when you got her though, you know I did the same thing with my otocinclus, and I'm attached to them too. :)
I can’t even persuade them to let me buy another knife, lol. I doubt they would let me get 5 more fish...

I think I’ll just give her to my LFS, I will definitely miss her though. :(

I can’t even persuade them to let me buy another knife, lol. I doubt they would let me get 5 more fish...

I think I’ll just give her to my LFS, I will definitely miss her though. :(
If you gave her away, would it mean that you'd have an empty tank to have ready to start a SW tank when you move? Or sell it and save the cash to go towards the SW set up. The positives out weight the negatives, the Danio will be happy, you'll be closer to a SW tank all will be good. I gave away around £100 worth of fish in order to make space for my betta's. I know the fish I had are happy, my betta's are happy and I'm happy so it all works well in the end mate

Wait, so sell the whole tank/setup?

I could probably get at least $40+ for the whole setup. (More $60 if I sell the sand and plants with it.)

Obviously get rid of the Danio first?

Wait, so sell the whole tank/setup?

I could probably get at least $40+ for the whole setup. (More $60 if I sell the sand and plants with it.)

Obviously get rid of the Danio first?
I think you tend to get more for you money if you sell stuff individually. Its a bit more work but worth it in the end

I think you tend to get more for you money if you sell stuff individually. Its a bit more work but worth it in the end
Ok, so sell the light, filter, tank, and substrate separately?

That makes sense that you would get more $$$. I may try to sell some of it to my LFS.

I have a few more questions...

I know that most SW tank only have less than 2cm of sand, because there are no live plants. But, most tanks in the hobby have a thick black rim around the base.

Can I remove this? Is it safe? Or should I look for a “rimless” tank? I have seen some people on YT remove both, but I don’t know if it is actually safe or not.

I was also watching a YT video that said canister filters were the best for SW tanks, because they can hold more media which = more bb? Is this true? If not, what’s the best type of filter? (Not a sump, those are expensive.)

Ok, so sell the light, filter, tank, and substrate separately?

That makes sense that you would get more $$$. I may try to sell some of it to my LFS.

I have a few more questions...

I know that most SW tank only have less than 2cm of sand, because there are no live plants. But, most tanks in the hobby have a thick black rim around the base.

Can I remove this? Is it safe? Or should I look for a “rimless” tank? I have seen some people on YT remove both, but I don’t know if it is actually safe or not.

I was also watching a YT video that said canister filters were the best for SW tanks, because they can hold more media which = more bb? Is this true? If not, what’s the best type of filter? (Not a sump, those are expensive.)
Not sure if you'd get any buyers for the substrate? Maybe, dunno. People buy anything.

The tanks with the rim, have it in place for structural reasons, I'd be wary about removing it. I wasnt aware SW had such a shallow depth substrate, especially with some of the animals I've seen burrowing in it (couldn't tell you any names sorry).

Ive read that not only should canisters be used, but ones with huge flow rate, far more flow than you'd want for freshwater. Don't know why though sorry

Not sure if you'd get any buyers for the substrate? Maybe, dunno. People buy anything.

The tanks with the rim, have it in place for structural reasons, I'd be wary about removing it. I wasnt aware SW had such a shallow depth substrate, especially with some of the animals I've seen burrowing in it (couldn't tell you any names sorry).

Ive read that not only should canisters be used, but ones with huge flow rate, far more flow than you'd want for freshwater. Don't know why though sorry
That is also something I will have to invest in, a canister filter.

I’m just going by what I’ve seen. How deep should the sand be in a SW tank?

I guess one of the only reasons why I wanted to remove them, is because they look ugly.

Who knows? Maybe when I move up there there will be an awesome SW setup on Craigslist that I could afford. :dunno:

Yes bb = beneficial bacteria.
Okay, so my answer works. I always suggest that you start the process with live rock and don't trust that freshwater bacteria will survive in a marine tank. They may well, as some bacteria are found in both environments, but you can't be sure what bacteria you get.

How deep should the sand be in a SW tank?
The short answer is "it depends".
Some people will have no substrate. This is known as - you guessed it - a bare bottom tank. There are lots of benefits for this in a reef tank but I find it unnecessary in a fish only tank. I also love what lives in my substrate. Which should be aragonite or oolite. Caribsea is a great brand. I do NOT recommend black. It is tempting because it looks so good but it is a different mineral and doesn't work well.

The longer answer depends on what you plan on keeping. For example if you want to keep a garden eel you need 7 to 9 inches of sand. Which is deep!

My current tank has a fighting conch in it. They live in the sand. They aren't large but need enough sand to bury themselves in. So I have about 2 inches right now. My 300 gallon reef tank had 4 inches and had a lot of sand dwelling creatures like sand dollars, snails of different kinds, worms, etc. I also had a yellow watchman goby with a pistol shrimp so they burrow and need more.

For a regular fish tank go bare bottom or about 1 inch.

The short answer is "it depends".
Some people will have no substrate. This is known as - you guessed it - a bare bottom tank. There are lots of benefits for this in a reef tank but I find it unnecessary in a fish only tank. I also love what lives in my substrate. Which should be aragonite or oolite. Caribsea is a great brand. I do NOT recommend black. It is tempting because it looks so good but it is a different mineral and doesn't work well.

The longer answer depends on what you plan on keeping. For example if you want to keep a garden eel you need 7 to 9 inches of sand. Which is deep!

My current tank has a fighting conch in it. They live in the sand. They aren't large but need enough sand to bury themselves in. So I have about 2 inches right now. My 300 gallon reef tank had 4 inches and had a lot of sand dwelling creatures like sand dollars, snails of different kinds, worms, etc. I also had a yellow watchman goby with a pistol shrimp so they burrow and need more.

For a regular fish tank go bare bottom or about 1 inch.
You kept a pistol shrimp!?!? Ha thats ridiculously cool. Saw a video of them showing how they create light from snapping their pincers, had no idea people could keep them in tanks

That is also something I will have to invest in, a canister filter.

I’m just going by what I’ve seen. How deep should the sand be in a SW tank?

I guess one of the only reasons why I wanted to remove them, is because they look ugly.

Who knows? Maybe when I move up there there will be an awesome SW setup on Craigslist that I could afford. :dunno:
That’s the way too look at it. Think positive.
Every new job, relationship, house move, decision etc is “the beginning of a great adventure“. In this case for both you and your ZD.
I think Uncle Lou (Reed) taught me that. He was right, it can help take an element of fear out of stuff.

You kept a pistol shrimp!?!? Ha thats ridiculously cool. Saw a video of them showing how they create light from snapping their pincers, had no idea people could keep them in tanks
Yes! They are epic. Their punch has the strength of a .22 bullet! o_O

Okay, so my answer works. I always suggest that you start the process with live rock and don't trust that freshwater bacteria will survive in a marine tank. They may well, as some bacteria are found in both environments, but you can't be sure what bacteria you get.
By live rocks do you mean coral? Do I need a special light for those?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back