Bitten Good by the Saltwater Bug

gilltyascharged

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, it finally happened...I think I found a new interest. After weeks of sneaking glances at my Chem teacher's 75gal FOWLR, I finally asked him about it. And well...it seemed a lot less complicated than I would have initially guessed. Fast forward a few months, and I've poured over TFH's saltwater articles and FishLore's numerous profiles. I'm hooked, and I think that I may want to try my hand at this hobby.
Realistically, is this something I could pull off? I am a high school student who, although I have experience with freshwater tanks, have never set foot near a hydrometer or a bag of aquarium salt. My budget could probably extend to smaller (~20gal or less) tanks, but this means I would likely only have room for a handful of invertebrate species or some of the smaller gobies (maybe a clown or two in a 20gal? I'm going off of various sources :blink:)--not to mention that I'm not entirely sure how hardy these little guys are. Currently I think I would be looking at a nano FOWLR (I think inverts are classified under that), but am not entirely sure as to how more experienced members feel about that.
Any thoughts?

Thanks! Gilltyascharged :)

I started keeping marine fish when I was 14 and had no idea what I was getting in for. After several years of struggling I found a book on marine fish and it explained the filter cycle (that was life changing). That was last century before pet shops gave advice on how to care for fish and well before the interweb thingy we use today.

There's nothing to it really. You use the same filter, heater, lights and aquarium as for freshwater. The only real difference is salt and a hydrometer (used to measure salinity/ salt levels). The filtration cycle is exactly the same, whereby you add a bit of ammonia to the aquarium and let the filter bacteria develop. You can also add a heap of live rock and that can help cycle things too. Live rock is any sort of limestone or sandstone rock that has been in sea water for more than 6 months. If you get dry limestone and put it in an aquarium, it will be live rock after 6 months.

You can add macro algae like Caulerpa and Halimeda to help keep the water cleaner.

You can add a protein skimmer if you like but it's not necessary. My first tank ran an air operated sponge filter. I then tried internal power filters and external canister filters, and trickle filters. The last lot of marine tanks I ran were back on air operated sponge filters. My tanks had live rock with macro algae that I collected from the beach. I filled the tanks with natural sea water and did a 90-95% water change and gravel cleaned the shell substrate once a month using natural sea water. I had coralimorphs, anemones, a pair of anemone fish, a pr of redline cleaner shrimp and a few other bits n pieces. I had 6 tanks running in total and they were 18 inches long x 14 inches wide x 12 inches high. The anemonefish were in one tank, the redline cleaner shrimp in another, etc.

As Colin said if you're going fish only then same rules apply pretty much as with freshwater and to be honest there are some amazing fish only tank opportunities

It gets more complicated as a reef but even still they are very rewardeing too

Thank you for the advice! I've read quite a bit on marine aquariums recently, and am starting to toy with the idea of a nano reef, or at least a nano FOWLR. On one hand, I have been able to successfully keep freshwater nanos (under 10gal) stable for several years. On the other hand, I've never kept a saltwater tank--ever.
My 16th birthday is coming up at the end of the month, and I am hoping for some 10gal (or even a nice 20gal long). I do have a 5gal bowfront (initially intended for freshwater use) that has an internal filter, and I was wondering if I could try an invert-only (and/or perhaps one of the smaller goby species) setup in that. I have seen plenty on nano zoa gardens, but am unsure as to how much experience I should have under my belt before I even dabble in corals (no matter how hardy they are).

What do you guys think?

I've only kept a 3 gallon saltwater. So only had snails, hermit crabs, and coral in it. Not large enough for fish. The coral have been a challenge and I've found that I can mostly only keep soft corals. Big part of it is learning how to configure my lighting correctly as I'm using a programmable light. So, I'm still learning and probably will one day have a larger saltwater tank.

Thanks for posting this thread. I believe that my next tank will be salt water. I was thinking reef, but I've seen several threads that show how challenging it can be to keep coral (Ram419's has been really helpful).

I had to look up what FOWLR is, but having found out, I think that might be a good start for me. Maybe after it's stable I could put a coral or two in there as well? Not sure how it all works...

thanks for posting the thread- interested to see how it goes for you- hope you get the 20 long!!

Thank you for the advice! I've read quite a bit on marine aquariums recently, and am starting to toy with the idea of a nano reef, or at least a nano FOWLR. On one hand, I have been able to successfully keep freshwater nanos (under 10gal) stable for several years. On the other hand, I've never kept a saltwater tank--ever.
My 16th birthday is coming up at the end of the month, and I am hoping for some 10gal (or even a nice 20gal long). I do have a 5gal bowfront (initially intended for freshwater use) that has an internal filter, and I was wondering if I could try an invert-only (and/or perhaps one of the smaller goby species) setup in that. I have seen plenty on nano zoa gardens, but am unsure as to how much experience I should have under my belt before I even dabble in corals (no matter how hardy they are).

What do you guys think?
So I too am getting into the saltwater hobby and I recently ordered a tank with everything I need but that was after doing countless months worth of research.

The thing about saltwater tanks that I learned is that they thrive on stability and many creatures like anemones and corals cannot handle rapid changes in water parameters very well compared to freshwater fish or invertebrates so having a 10-20 gallon would make things more challenging than having a larger tank which is why I ordered a reef ready 200 liter/52 gallon aquarium with a built in sump which admittedly was quite expensive costing me about 4200 dollars in total including the aquarium and equipment such as a red sea protein skimmer and red sea roll filter and red sea reef lighting but it will make reef keeping easier for me in the long run.

Starting with at minimum 30 gallons even if doing a nano tank is a good idea as it would allow for more stability which is quite important especially when keeping corals and if keeping an invert only tank with no fish you would have to feed them by hand which means that water quality issues could arise potentially unless frequent water changes are performed especially in a smaller tank.

It is possible to have a fish with live rock system before dabbling into keeping corals as reef tanks usually start out as fish with live rock systems also when picking corals I would probably pick soft corals as hard sps corals are typically much more challenging requiring special attention to the dosing of supplements and additional equipment for them may be required later on especially if in a larger reef tank with tons of sps corals in it which is where using a calcium reactor to supply sps corals with extra calcium can be highly useful in scenarios where the sps corals use up too much calcium to build up their calcium skeletons and the regular dosing of extra calcium is not enough.

I would recommend starting with a fish with live rock setup and see if you enjoy it and as for when to add corals waiting at least a few months until the water parameters are stable enough and the tank has matured is what I would do.

Starting with at minimum 30 gallons even if doing a nano tank is a good idea
Yes- measured a space that will accommodate a 29 gallon (not sure why they didn't just add the extra gallon, but I guess the measurements wouldn't be rounded off), so that's the best I can do at this point. I've debated doing a sump - thinking that's probably the best way to go. I'm not going to have anything underneath the tank except supplies anyway, so might as well get some extra water and filtration down there.
I would recommend starting with a fish with live rock setup and see if you enjoy it and as for when to add corals waiting at least a few months until the water parameters are stable enough and the tank has matured is what I would do.
Sounds like a plan. I've had a lot of success with freshwater, but the truth is, the plants have been more of a challenge than the fish, as long as I stay on top of maintenance. Plus, I benefit greatly from oversized filter and lots of water changes, which I won't be able to do with salt water, so I'm going to have to get my routine down and get things stable before I make it more challenging.

(Note: edited to remove extraneous sentence that was repeated twice)
The thing about saltwater tanks that I learned is that they thrive on stability and many creatures like anemones and corals cannot handle rapid changes in water parameters very well compared to freshwater fish or invertebrates so having a 10-20 gallon would make things more challenging than having a larger tank which is why I ordered a reef ready 200 liter/52 gallon aquarium with a built in sump which admittedly was quite expensive costing me about 4200 dollars in total including the aquarium and equipment such as a red sea protein skimmer and red sea roll filter and red sea reef lighting but it will make reef keeping easier for me in the long run.

Starting with at minimum 30 gallons even if doing a nano tank is a good idea as it would allow for more stability which is quite important especially when keeping corals and if keeping an invert only tank with no fish you would have to feed them by hand which means that water quality issues could arise potentially unless frequent water changes are performed especially in a smaller tank.

It is possible to have a fish with live rock system before dabbling into keeping corals as reef tanks usually start out as fish with live rock systems also when picking corals I would probably pick soft corals as hard sps corals are typically much more challenging requiring special attention to the dosing of supplements and additional equipment for them may be required later on especially if in a larger reef tank with tons of sps corals in it which is where using a calcium reactor to supply sps corals with extra calcium can be highly useful in scenarios where the sps corals use up too much calcium to build up their calcium skeletons and the regular dosing of extra calcium is not enough.

Ah, the pains of target feeding. Isn't it a great feeling to have to constantly worry about whether or not your nitrates will spike after a single shot of defrosted brine shrimp?
As much as I would love to have a much larger tank (many larger tanks, for that matter), currently parental restrictions and space prohibit me from doing so. Inverts seem to be the best way to go space-wise, but there have been quite a few goby and blenny species that are reported to do well in pico tanks. I know from freshwater experience that the best nano fish are those that stay small, are relatively solitary, and remain quite inactive, but my predominant worry about the possible 5gal bowfront idea is that one of those species wouldn't have enough floor space.

Concerning corals, I have firmly decided that SPS and LPS corals are out of the question for such a small tank--and especially a beginner such as myself. Waiting for the tank to mature is less of a concern for myself (I set up my 2.5gal Neocaridina tank back in early November, and am only now considering actually purchasing shrimp with the thriving ecosystem of plants, copepods, detritus worms [introduced], and ramshorn snails [also introduced]), and given my tendency towards indecisiveness it allows me more time to decide on what configuration, species, decor, etc. that I actually want.

IF I go ahead with ANY setup, here is my basic gameplan:

- [DAY ONE] Setup hardscape, substrate, utilities, etc.
- [WEEKS 1-7] Allow 4-6 weeks for tank to get settled. Parameters should be correct levels, and a tad bit of algal growth with that may be proof of life. Live rock may have existing inhabitants, who's presence would likely indicate that it is suitable for some (although maybe not all) life.
- [WEEK 8/MONTH 2] Attempt to add in small inverts (inexpensive, non-demanding snails, shrimp, and the like--not quite a CUC, but a start)
- [WEEKS 8-12/MONTH 2-3] Give a month for above inhabitants to settle; check in on condition (are they reproducing? just because they're alive doesn't mean they're thriving)

IF all is going well, attempt to add another species or two of invert to add to CUC. All specimens should be thriving, parameters must be correct.

- [WEEK 16/MONTH 4] After one month, I can consider adding ornamental shrimp, snails or crabs.

What happens next largely depends on what the game plan is. Am I adding more ornamental species? Am I adding a fish, or keeping it purely invert? How is the ecosystem doing?

-
[WEEK 24-32/MONTH 6-8] If creating a reef tank, add first corals (likely small, hardy polyps). Parameters must be doing well, maintenance kept up with, and all existing inhabitants thriving (feeding well, possibly reproducing, exhibiting normal behaviors for species, and getting along with conspecifics).

This is just a rough draft, based on what I've read and my experience with freshwater aquariums. Is this a good start, or am I looking at this completely wrong? I understand that the order of introduction largely depends on the species (for instance, it is generally said that aggressive species should be added last), but this is without having any specifics set in stone.

I don't have anything to contribute here but I just want to say that my son will also be 16 this month and if he was interested in keeping an aquarium of any sort and did all the research that you've done here, I would get him whatever size aquarium he wanted. Seriously, kudos to you for educating yourself on something not necessary for school and especially for putting any potential animals' welfare ahead of what would be cool to look at. So many people of all ages, do neither of these things, so I think it is awesome that you have done so.

I don't have anything to contribute here but I just want to say that my son will also be 16 this month and if he was interested in keeping an aquarium of any sort and did all the research that you've done here, I would get him whatever size aquarium he wanted. Seriously, kudos to you for educating yourself on something not necessary for school and especially for putting any potential animals' welfare ahead of what would be cool to look at. So many people of all ages, do neither of these things, so I think it is awesome that you have done so.
Haha, thank you! Now, if only I applied that to my schoolwork...

So, a tad bit of an update: 10 days 'til my birthday, and I don't think my parents are all that keen on letting me get another tank (fingers crossed that I get surprised, but I'm doubtful of that happening). In that case, I may have to have the 5 gal bowfront suffice. Although I understand that my stocking options would be limited and tank maintenance would have to be religious to keep things stable, how do you guys think that would pan out? Filtration is what I think I am most worried about--while I have numerous sponge filters, an oversized HOB, and one that comes built into the tank itself (Top Fin Element filter), I'm not entirely sure it will be sufficient for a saltwater aquarium. Here is the tank in question:
Screenshot (688).png

As you can see, there's not a lot of floor space I'll be able to work with. While there's some vertical space I can use for some rockwork, I'm not sure the included light (or filter, for that matter) will be strong enough for a marine aquarium. Although intended for freshwater use, could it be a successful saltwater nano tank? I have supplies that you would use for any old freshwater setup at home, but would assume that this tank may need some modifications (i.e. more powerful filter, skimmer?, etc.).

I'm running a 3 gallon saltwater tank. But, you can't really have any fish in anything smaller then a 10 gallon for saltwater. You could do a 5 gallon but only 1 fish.

In my 3 gallon I only have a single trochus snail and corals. See my thread on the 3 gallon here --> https://www.fishforums.net/threads/...ueon-frameless-cube-aquarium-3-gallon.488779/
I have looked at that thread--very useful information (also, beautiful corals!). If I were to add any fish, I would likely try a Trimma sp. goby given its size and activity levels. However, I'll likely stick to sexy shrimp and maybe a few small hermit crabs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back