Interested in SW...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Thatā€™s the way too look at it. Think positive.
Every new job, relationship, house move, decision etc is ā€œthe beginning of a great adventureā€œ. In this case for both you and your ZD.
I think Uncle Lou (Reed) taught me that. He was right, it can help take an element of fear out of stuff.

Unrelated to this thread (which I'm highly interested in!!) but I really needed to hear this quote right now as I am on the precipice of a new adventure, moving away from home and most of my family for the first time in the coming months. So thank you, to you and Uncle Lou!

And thank you @PheonixKingZ for starting this thread, I'm learning a lot and i have a 20g I might be converting when I move in a few months as well, thanks to you!

And thank you @PheonixKingZ for starting this thread, I'm learning a lot and i have a 20g I might be converting when I move in a few months as well, thanks to you!
No problem! It really is exciting to think you donā€™t need all that fancy SW gear, when you can use the same things you have been using.

The only reason why I donā€™t want to set it up now, is because I would just have to take it down in about 6 months, because thatā€™s when we are moving.

No problem! It really is exciting to think you donā€™t need all that fancy SW gear, when you can use the same things you have been using.

The only reason why I donā€™t want to set it up now, is because I would just have to take it down in about 6 months, because thatā€™s when we are moving.

Yeah, I too thought that it would be much more complicated and expensive to convert to saltwater, which is why I always stayed away. I love my planted freshwater tanks and I'll likely always have them too, but I want to try out saltwater!

I have a school of harlequin rasboras and some otos in my 20g now, and I won't be getting them a bigger tank until after I move in December for the same reason - no point in setting up a new tank just to take it all down in a few months to move.

Hopefully since it looks like I will be converting mine a little before you, you can learn from all of the mistakes I'm bound to make in the process lol.

Same! Itā€™s not like Iā€™m bored with FW or tired of it, I just want to try something new. (I have also always loved clown fish... :wub:)

You kept a pistol shrimp!?!? Ha thats ridiculously cool. Saw a video of them showing how they create light from snapping their pincers, had no idea people could keep them in tanks
Yes, they are really fun.

If I did want to grow some small anemoneā€™s, what lighting would I need? Would something like this work?

I know clownfish donā€™t need the to survive, but I like them a lot.

When it comes to anemone the kind that clowns host with, there is no such thing as a small one. Even the bubble tip anemone, which is the easiest to keep, will get 14" across. That's big. They go up in size from there.

You would need lighting fit for a reef tank and that is a big discussion all of its own.

When it comes to anemone the kind that clowns host with, there is no such thing as a small one. Even the bubble tip anemone, which is the easiest to keep, will get 14" across. That's big. They go up in size from there.

You would need lighting fit for a reef tank and that is a big discussion all of its own.
So you think it would be best not to start with anemones?

When you say ā€œlive rockā€ what exactly do you mean?

I would also like to keep some shrimp. (The kind of ā€œcleaner shrimpā€œ)

Ok, so no anemoneā€™s to start out with...

What size tank would give me the best possible experience? I am having second thoughts on a 20g long, because I want more fish species than just clowns. Would a 29g tank be better? (For snails, clowns, gobies, etc.)

Also, would I be able to ad a Mandarin Goby? They are so pretty.

I thinking about getting rid of my 20g long (and the ZD) and getting the tank that would be best for the species I want to keep.

I donā€™t want to setup the 20g long and think ā€œman I wish I would have got a bigger one...ā€. (If that makes sense... ;))

Bigger the better! Find out the biggest tank you're able to keep and get that. Measure where its going to be kept etc

Bigger the better! Find out the biggest tank you're able to keep and get that. Measure where its going to be kept etc
One of the biggest problems with that, is I donā€™t know how big my room is going to be, or if the floor will support it. (When we move to a new house)

I need to know now, because if a tank bigger than a 20g long is better, I will sell my 20g long, and use the cash to pay for a bigger tank.

I was thinking a 40g tank? (Maybe a 55g would be better, but that would be expensive!)

I am going to post a thread soon asking if it would be better to try to move all my fish in our van, or sell them to my LFS and use the cash to buy them back in PA. (Because I would need to buy buckets, battery powered airstones, etc.)

One of the biggest problems with that, is I donā€™t know how big my room is going to be, or if the floor will support it. (When we move to a new house)

I need to know now, because if a tank bigger than a 20g long is better, I will sell my 20g long, and use the cash to pay for a bigger tank.

I was thinking a 40g tank? (Maybe a 55g would be better, but that would be expensive!)

I am going to post a thread soon asking if it would be better to try to move all my fish in our van, or sell them to my LFS and use the cash to buy them back in PA. (Because I would need to buy buckets, battery powered airstones, etc.)
If you're going SW I'd solely concentrate on that if I were you. Seeing as you'll be a novice to SW, it'll probably take most of your time and energy. You don't ant an enjoyable hobby to become a tiring chore.
You can get lucky and pick up some big tanks on the cheap if you keep and eye out.

If you're going SW I'd solely concentrate on that if I were you. Seeing as you'll be a novice to SW, it'll probably take most of your time and energy. You don't ant an enjoyable hobby to become a tiring chore.
You can get lucky and pick up some big tanks on the cheap if you keep and eye out.
So I should sell the 20g long? I definitely want to keep my other tanks...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back