FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Went to my LFS today and saw all their awesome saltwater tank.

I have been interested in SW for a while, I have just thought it was always really expensive.

So, here come the questions...

1( Would a 20g long tank work well for a couple of Clown fish? Maybe a diamond Goby? (A lot of other species that I haven’t looked into yet)

2( Can I use freshwater equipment for saltwater? Filters, heaters, etc.

3( Do I need a protein skimmer?

4( Does bb grow the same way? Will it live from freshwater to saltwater?

I have a lot more questions, so is there any link someone could give me that could help? (Also what kind of salt, etc.)

@Chad @Donya

Here again, this would be months in the future. :)

My LFS has a SW section and a FW section. Here is one of their many clown fish tanks:
BFE813CA-B68C-46CB-8ADA-4F2D896FBC2A.jpeg

Now I know I wouldn’t be buying from them, because I’m moving in 6-8 months. My parents said no more fish until after the move, which makes sense.

Found this article PK i found it quite informative and written in a way where the target audience is someone moving from fresh to salt water :good:

Might I add, I don't think anacharis grows in saltwater :p

Holy cow man, I never knew that you could use pretty much all the same stuff as in a FW tank! This has got me really excited.

Don't get me wrong, I love my FW tanks. It's not like im getting "bored" with them, I just really love SW fish - they are a lovely twist that is awesome.

The only thing im seeing that I will need to change, is the substrate. I don't even need to change the lighting, unless I want live rocks. (Which will come in the future, you can count on that.. ;))

That was a really good site and I thank you for that. :good:

Now, as I said, it will be several months before I am able to convert, but I do plan to convert my 20g long into a SW tan, and probably give my lone ZD to my LFS, as its alone and needs more of its kind.

I am watching this video right now: watch

Super helpful.

I don't plan to keep live rocks, as they require super expensive lighting.

1( Would a 20g long tank work well for a couple of Clown fish? Maybe a diamond Goby? (A lot of other species that I haven’t looked into yet)
I rather say 30 gallons but if well maintained clowns can thrive in a 20 long. In this environment I would recommend no more than one other fish with them. A diamond goby would work IF it had enough sand and rock to hide in. If not, it will nip at the clowns and in that small of a tank they are likely to jump. So a screen would be good. I think a yellow watchman, or yellow clown goby would be a better fit.

Yes you can. It's a common misconception that you can't.

Nope. If you are keeping a reef tank, then yes. But if your plan is a fish only tank, no.

In this context I am not sure what "bb" is. Perhaps you are talking about bioballs or bacteria. If so the answer is "maybe". There are different types of bacteria and some do well in fresh wand salt water but not all. The best bet is to use live rock which already has the bacteria in it.

I rather say 30 gallons but if well maintained clowns can thrive in a 20 long. In this environment I would recommend no more than one other fish with them. A diamond goby would work IF it had enough sand and rock to hide in. If not, it will nip at the clowns and in that small of a tank they are likely to jump. So a screen would be good. I think a yellow watchman, or yellow clown goby would be a better fit.

Yes you can. It's a common misconception that you can't.

Nope. If you are keeping a reef tank, then yes. But if your plan is a fish only tank, no.

In this context I am not sure what "bb" is. Perhaps you are talking about bioballs or bacteria. If so the answer is "maybe". There are different types of bacteria and some do well in fresh wand salt water but not all. The best bet is to use live rock which already has the bacteria in it.
Think he is referring to Beneficial Bacteria. I assume its your average ammonia/nitrite consuming stuff.

Yes bb = beneficial bacteria.

I can’t get another tank, due to parents, lol. I may just get 2 clowns to begin with in the 20g long? And then maybe get a goby.

All this has really got me excited, cause I used to think it was REALLY hard to keep SW.

Me too. But perhaps its just more expensive, the reef side of it anyhow. The guy i bought my tank (plus heater and filter) from used it as SW reef.
He had another smaller tank setup and he was talking me through the cost of the corals.. some the size of a grain of rice were £20 ($26) :eek:

Mind you, I've just got back from the LFS and they had some cool corydoras, but some were £30-40 ($40-50) each!

So, I suppose the hobby in general is quite pricey these days, I think cost of shipping (from farms to shops) has increased a lot recently

The coral at my LFS really isn’t that expensive, it’s like $10 for a small cup (base) sized piece. (But, those are just the small ones - big ones cost like $40+)

They have a really cool setup:
6052D13A-C1FB-4727-A769-AD9743029B81.jpeg

C946AEE3-123C-4FCD-AD96-A5EBABDDF01A.jpeg

(You can’t really appreciate it from the photo. ;))

Now, as I said, it will be several months before I am able to convert, but I do plan to convert my 20g long into a SW tan, and probably give my lone ZD to my LFS, as its alone and needs more of its kind.
I think it would be great to give the danio to your store as soon as you can. You've said you can't get any more fish until after you move either, and you said that won't be for at least 6 months I think? That's a long time to keep it alone, on top of however long you've had it. Would be kinder to let him go to be in a group.

Good luck with the saltwater adventure!

I think it would be great to give the danio to your store as soon as you can. You've said you can't get any more fish until after you move either, and you said that won't be for at least 6 months I think? That's a long time to keep it alone, on top of however long you've had it. Would be kinder to let him go to be in a group.

Good luck with the saltwater adventure!
I’ve actually had it for over 1.5 years, (please don’t get mad at me, I didn’t know it’s proper care until I came here. I honestly should have given it away when I first got it. :()

It will be tough, because I'm attached to her. :/

I’ve actually had it for over 1.5 years, (please don’t get mad at me, I didn’t know it’s proper care until I came here. I honestly should have given it away when I first got it. :()

It will be tough, because I'm attached to her. :/
Maybe persuade your parents that she needs at least a few friends, and that it's a welfare issue, not about wanting more fish. That it's not harder to move 6 danios than it is to move one.

But if not, then yes, it would still be better for her to be with others of her kind. It's sad when you're attached, but have seen you tell people about minimum numbers for schooling fish many times, you know better now. It's understandable that you didn't know when you got her though, you know I did the same thing with my otocinclus, and I'm attached to them too. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back