Interested in SW...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Its just advice PK, 'what I would do' in your position type of thing. I'm certainly not telling what you to do!
Whilst its exciting to consider another realm of fishkeeping, it might be worth figuring out the logistics of it all when you eventually move and have settled in your new home and can size up what tank you can keep.
In the meantime, keep researching and asking questions. That way you'll have a very good idea how to set everything up when it comes to it, and make fewer regrettable mistakes that many of us beginners make.

So you think it would be best not to start with anemones?

When you say “live rock” what exactly do you mean?

I would also like to keep some shrimp. (The kind of “cleaner shrimp“)
Not the kind of anemone that host clown fish. There are other types you could keep, like a rock flower anemone, but clowns don't host with them. Maxi-mini anemone would likely be okay as well.

Live rock is rock that has the bacteria already in it and is kept wet to maintain it. You can get live rock that has been mined from ancient coral deposits then put into a tank to "cure" or you can get live rock that has been taken right out of the ocean. I like the kind from the ocean because it has thousands of living creatures inside of it. Worms, amphipods, sometimes even crabs. However, many aquarists hate that because they don't want these things. Some of them can occasionally be harmful ones. You decide which you want. There are advantages to both. http://fishtankfan.com/how-to-choose-good-live-rock/

I do favor the skunk cleaner shrimp...they are sold under different names but they are the ones with the white stripe down their back. They will clean your hand. It's pretty fun.

Ok, then I will keep the 20g long for now, but still do research on SW setups. Thanks!

Not the kind of anemone that host clown fish. There are other types you could keep, like a rock flower anemone, but clowns don't host with them. Maxi-mini anemone would likely be okay as well.

Live rock is rock that has the bacteria already in it and is kept wet to maintain it. You can get live rock that has been mined from ancient coral deposits then put into a tank to "cure" or you can get live rock that has been taken right out of the ocean. I like the kind from the ocean because it has thousands of living creatures inside of it. Worms, amphipods, sometimes even crabs. However, many aquarists hate that because they don't want these things. Some of them can occasionally be harmful ones. You decide which you want. There are advantages to both. http://fishtankfan.com/how-to-choose-good-live-rock/

I do favor the skunk cleaner shrimp...they are sold under different names but they are the ones with the white stripe down their back. They will clean your hand. It's pretty fun.
Thank you for the information, very helpful.

I will start to actually setup (if I choose to) a SW tank when I move into my new house.

Is a 40g tank a good size for clowns, shrimp, and gobies?

I will keep the 20g long for now - I can sell it if I decide not to keep it a FW tank.

Is a 40g tank a good size for clowns, shrimp, and gobies?
That will work nicely for them. Much better than the 20 long. Also, if you wait for PetCo to have their $1 per gallon sale it will only cost you $40.

That will work nicely for them. Much better than the 20 long. Also, if you wait for PetCo to have their $1 per gallon sale it will only cost you $40.
Sounds good. Of course, all this will take place way into the future, in just wanted to get a general idea.

Thanks for all your help! I will, of course, tag you when the time comes.:friends:

If you do it (no real reason not to) make a build thread!
Also, as side note, you don't have to get rid of your freshwater tank - have both!

Just saw some super cool SW fish at my LFS... they had a Puffer, a Look Down, a Sting Ray, and 2 Black Storm Clowns.

(For those of you who don’t know what they look like, they look like this)
1D098289-274F-4CC8-9D51-1B9259EACAF2.jpeg

This really re-interested in me in SW.

——

As of right now, I can’t get any more tanks. Which means if I wanted to setup a SW tank before I move, then I would have to take down/get rid of fish in either my 20g log or my 29g tank.

They also said I could get rid of tanks to get tanks, if that makes sense. (So if I get rid of my 5g and 10g, I could get a 15g tank)

——

What is a decent sized first time SW tank? I was thinking my 20g long.

Just saw some super cool SW fish at my LFS... they had a Puffer, a Look Down, a Sting Ray, and 2 Black Storm Clowns.

View attachment 133080

——

As of right now, I can’t get any more tanks. Which means if I wanted to setup a SW tank before I move, then I would have to take down/get rid of fish in either my 20g log or my 29g tank.

They also said I could get rid of tanks to get tanks, if that makes sense. (So if I get rid of my 5g and 10g, I could get a 15g tank)

——

29 I've heard

It inspires me every single time I go into my LFS.

I may end up using my 29g tank as a SW tank once I move, or maybe even before I move. I’m not really sure...

View attachment 133080

——
The fish in the picture is a colour mutation of the common anemonefish (Amphiprion ocellaris) but sometimes they come from Amphiprion percula. Both fish look very similar and are found in different areas. A. ocellaris is found in the Indian Ocean around northern Australia and Indonesia. A. percula is from the Pacific Ocean and is found on the Great Barrier Reef (Queensland, Australia) and into the east half of New Guinea. The wild fish found in New Guinea have a lot more variation than those from Australia and Indonesia. Both species throw out a lot of colour variants when bred in captivity.

The minimum size tank for a pair of these anemonefish is 30 inches long x 12 inches wide x 18 inches high. This is also about as small a marine tank as you want if you want fish. Most marine fish need a bigger tank (3 foot or longer).

30 inches long x 12 inches wide x 18 inches high
Ok, that’s a 29g tank dimensions.

Would I be able to keep other species in that same tank as well? (Say maybe a goby or shrimp?)

—-

Also, is it hard to uproot a marine tank once it has been established?

Ok, that’s a 29g tank dimensions.

Would I be able to keep other species in that same tank as well? (Say maybe a goby or shrimp?)

—-

Also, is it hard to uproot a marine tank once it has been established?
You don't need a 29 gallon tank for a pair of ocellaris clowns. You could do a 10 gallon with some shrimp, but 20 gallon is better. Yes if you got a 20 or 29 you could add other fish like a watchman goby.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back