FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

driger8642

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Sammy, I'm from New York. This is my first post there so I really hope that I'm in the right place, if not can I request a moderator to move this thread to the right section? Thanks
biggrin.png

Anyways, I just started my hobby of having fishes as pets. So before getting them I did a little bit of research and went on and got a 10 gallon tank. I realized that I would need bigger so I returned it and got a 20 gallon. I did read up on the fishless cycle but the guy at the store gave me some chemicals which he said contain the bacteria that is needed in a fish tank, I believe it is called quick start tank or something. I installed some fake plants and a wallpaper. However, I did wait 24 hours after putting the bacteria and other chemicals (including chlorine decontaminator) before i put the fishes in just in case the bacteria needs time to settle in. I did buy a 'Eheim Ebo Jager Shatter Proof Glass Aquarium Heater 150 Watt', and a 'Tetra Whisper Aquarium Power Filters Whisper 40' and installed them in the tank. After those 24 hours, I checked the water temperature and it was well around 79-80 degrees F. I got 2 angelfishes and I put the bag (closed) in the tank's water for about 14 minutes and then put some water from the tank into the bag and let it sit for another 10 minutes and then did it again once more. After that I let the bag into the water and the 2 angelfishes swam out when they were ready. These angelfishes are about the size of an American quarter. They seemed to be happy and swam around, mostly chasing their reflection up and down the side of the tank. I feed them twice a day about 1 1/2 pinch per serving. The next day everything was good, fishes are swimming fine. Now yesterday I bought 2 fishes whose names I cant remember at the moment but are community fishes and were together with the angelfishes at the pet store (I will upload a picture). I did the same introducing procedure with them and they seemed happy, very energetic all day long and got along just fine with the angelfishes. Today in the morning when I woke up I looked at the tank to see how they were doing, to my surprise I couldn't find one of the orange fishes at all so I looked harder and I found one of the dead in a corner of the tank. I'm still not exactly sure what went wrong. The other orange fish seems to be okay so far and the 2 angelfishes are swimming around, all 3 fishes do seem to like 1 specific corner right by the heater but the temperature of the water seems to be around 80 degrees F all around. I ordered the water test drips to check the quality of water so I will see what those results are. What am I doing wrong? Did I miss something? Do I need anything else for my tank?

Note: I do know once my angelfishes grow up, a 20 gallon tank will be too crowded for them, I plan to transfer them out once they are near getting that big. I also plan to put 1-2 bottom feeders in the tank sometime during the next 2 weeks.

Note : I also ordered a siphon gravel cleaner to remove any dirt or leftover food from the gravel, not sure If I will be needing it once I get the bottom feeders.

Thanks in advance for the help guys
biggrin.png

Orange Fish.jpg

Most bacterial supplements are not worth the price of the bottle in which they come. If one wants to go that route, it is important to choose one of the two brands which are known to work based on peer reviewed scientific research. The are essentially the same product. One is Dr. Tim's One and Only and the other is tetra Safe Start. Both products were the result or research by Dr. timothy Hovanec et. al.- he is Dr Tim :).

Have a read here http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/nitrifying-bacteria-mixtures-work-provided I lnoe this one works because I have used it several times and it works as advertised as long as it has been kept and shipped properly and now allowed to get too old. It is also essential to follow the instructions for its use as detailed on the same site.

What are your test results for ammonia in your tank?

Well The one I used is API Quick Start, not sure how it s in comparison with the ones you mentioned. And I ordered the test strips so once they come in, I can let you know the results. other than those things, anything else I should invest for my tank?

Here is a picture of the tank.

TANK.jpg

The problem with Quick Start is it claims that is lasts for 2 years w/o refrigeration. the problem is that the appropriate nitrifiers in tanks are not usually usefull much beyond 6 months in a bottle unless refrigerated to slow them down. Even then the upeer limit of usefulness is about one year. The bacteria are not all dead or unable to recover. its just that the number still viable and their state of dormancy is such that the time required to be of much help in cycling is so degraded as not to make much of a difference.

A viable bottled bacteria can be used to get a tank fully cycled fishlessly in about a week. Here the directions for it using DrTim's https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Recipes_ep_54-1.html

TwoTankAmin said:
The problem with Quick Start is it claims that is lasts for 2 years w/o refrigeration. the problem is that the appropriate nitrifiers in tanks are not usually usefull much beyond 6 months in a bottle unless refrigerated to slow them down. Even then the upeer limit of usefulness is about one year. The bacteria are not all dead or unable to recover. its just that the number still viable and their state of dormancy is such that the time required to be of much help in cycling is so degraded as not to make much of a difference.

A viable bottled bacteria can be used to get a tank fully cycled fishlessly in about a week. Here the directions for it using DrTim's https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Recipes_ep_54-1.html
Thanks alot, so then am I to assume that the 3 remaining fishes in my tank are gonna die regardless due to an incomplete cycle? Or they have a chance? If yeah what should i do at this point? When can it be safe to add more fish?

You need to test water. The test strip kind aren't very accurate I've heard. I've got 2 fish in an uncycled tank (we all make mistakes) and I'm working on getting ammonia down so they don't die. Most people would recommend taking the fish back if you still have the receipts (a lot of stores have 7 or 14 day returns) so you can get the water squared away. I had the same fish as yours in the photo and they died in my uncycled tank :(
The API master test kit was highly recommended here for testing. It also does like 800 tests or something so you do get your money's worth

AmtotheBurr said:
You need to test water. The test strip kind aren't very accurate I've heard. I've got 2 fish in an uncycled tank (we all make mistakes) and I'm working on getting ammonia down so they don't die. Most people would recommend taking the fish back if you still have the receipts (a lot of stores have 7 or 14 day returns) so you can get the water squared away. I had the same fish as yours in the photo and they died in my uncycled tank :(
The API master test kit was highly recommended here for testing. It also does like 800 tests or something so you do get your money's worth
Thanks a alot, but cant do a return since the store only takes returns up to 48 hours but the fishes are doing fine as of now, I'm going to get the api master kit and check the water, thanks a lot once again

I hope they do make it! 2 of mine did and several didn't. Good luck

AmtotheBurr said:
I hope they do make it! 2 of mine did and several didn't. Good luck
Well i got the test, only nitrate level was really tiny bit high but now they are good, all 3 fishes are doing great, the angelfishes are now swimming more around the tank instead of being in their corner,however they are not eating the tropical fish flakes, the regular and the colored ones... i went to petco and was recommended to buy a brand called omega for them. Will that be good?

I've never used any quick start products but I just buy tests strips and let the water cycle out and test it every week longest I've waited was 3 weeks wich was good because I went on vacation the 3rd week so my tanks was extra cycled :)

CthulhuReborn said:
I've never used any quick start products but I just buy tests strips and let the water cycle out and test it every week longest I've waited was 3 weeks wich was good because I went on vacation the 3rd week so my tanks was extra cycled :)
Good reminder, im actually going on vacation for 5 days, i wondering can my fishes go without food for that long? Since I read in a lot of places that they can for 2 weeks or should I leave them with my friend to take care of them?

You should really be testing the water every other day.

Any spikes need to be dealt with sooner rather than later for the well being of the fish.

5 days should be fine for them to go without feeding but make sure they're well fed, (not overfed) for the three days before you go away, I'd also recommend a 50% water change the day before you go away also, this should hopefully keep the water reasonably stable while your away.

TTA is the best person for advice on that matter, but this is what I would do if I were in your position :)

driger8642 said:
Good reminder, im actually going on vacation for 5 days, i wondering can my fishes go without food for that long? Since I read in a lot of places that they can for 2 weeks or should I leave them with my friend to take care of them?
what I was saying there is I didn't add fish befor I left but also I would have someone come and feed them on the 3rd day your gone

guppiegirlie said:
You should really be testing the water every other day.

Any spikes need to be dealt with sooner rather than later for the well being of the fish.

5 days should be fine for them to go without feeding but make sure they're well fed, (not overfed) for the three days before you go away, I'd also recommend a 50% water change the day before you go away also, this should hopefully keep the water reasonably stable while your away.

TTA is the best person for advice on that matter, but this is what I would do if I were in your position :)
The water levels are now stable after a lot of gravel cleaning and using those dissolving ph control tablets.... phew

Fishes seem to be more comfortable and added an airstone to help with the nitrate levels. Thanks a lot. And i guess I rather not take a chance so i might leave them with my friend

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back