New fish owner help!!!

Summerfish11

New Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
9
Points
3
Location
Dunfermline
hi im new here and also new to the whole fish owning, I was thrown into the deep end and had to save 2 little gold fish the tank is to small that they are in also is very dirty so I’ve went out and bought a 94litre just now to try get them into a bigger space than there in just now then will buy the much larger tank for them but for now I’m looking for as much advice as possible, I’ve set my filter up my tank came with a heater but I know goldfish don’t need the heater but I think it will tell me the temp of the tank so I’ll check that tomorrow I’ve also added the water with the tap safe water solution so I’m wondering what more can I do, pets at home have told me to set the tank up then wait 48 hours then add the fish in a bag with there old water for certain times that I can’t remember and then repeat the process I’m heading back up in the morning to get more info and pick up extra stuff I might need I know pets at home are not great at most staff don’t have a clue what there talking about so I’m worried I just want to keep these little fish healthy safe and some what happy in a larger tank so I want to get them out there old tank as soon as possible
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0215.webp
    IMG_0215.webp
    73.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0212.webp
    IMG_0212.webp
    152.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0DAFDA5C-009B-46D1-BD6D-0FC148FBDD00.webp
    IMG_0DAFDA5C-009B-46D1-BD6D-0FC148FBDD00.webp
    158.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0210.webp
    IMG_0210.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0207.webp
    IMG_0207.webp
    239.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0206.webp
    IMG_0206.webp
    353.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0191.webp
    IMG_0191.webp
    235.7 KB · Views: 102
Welcome to the forum! :hi:

First off, you've done a great thing getting a larger tank for those two goldies! So for starters, your new tank will have to be cycled (nitrogen cycle). This is important as fish live alongside beneficial bacteria that help keep water quality in good condition, along with water changes by yourself. Working in tandem with each other to make a healthy tank is the best way to put it. I won't ramble on about it, but do give this thread a read. It will explain it much better than I can do :)



With your current situation, you may be able to jump-start the cycling process. How long have they been in that old tank? And does your new tank have anything in it from the one the fish are currently in? Beneficial bacteria grow on all surfaces, like gravel, ornaments and filter you have in their current tank. When you add the fish to the new tank, I would move over the old filter, ornaments and a handful of gravel. If you don't want the old gravel in the new tank permanently, placing it submerged in a mesh bag or sterile cup will do. The more the better. While you're at PAH, look for bottled bacteria and testing strips. Since goldfish do produce a fair bit of waste, I would add the whole bottle along with the old tank filter, gravel, etc. The testing strips will help you monitor water parameters for the cycling period and let you know if a water change is needed. You can move up to liquid tests in the future if you want.

This is just my opinion and what I would do in your situation. Other members here will give you solid advice and info on what to do as well :)

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
 
hi im new here and also new to the whole fish owning, I was thrown into the deep end and had to save 2 little gold fish the tank is to small that they are in also is very dirty so I’ve went out and bought a 94litre just now to try get them into a bigger space than there in just now then will buy the much larger tank for them but for now I’m looking for as much advice as possible, I’ve set my filter up my tank came with a heater but I know goldfish don’t need the heater but I think it will tell me the temp of the tank so I’ll check that tomorrow I’ve also added the water with the tap safe water solution so I’m wondering what more can I do, pets at home have told me to set the tank up then wait 48 hours then add the fish in a bag with there old water for certain times that I can’t remember and then repeat the process I’m heading back up in the morning to get more info and pick up extra stuff I might need I know pets at home are not great at most staff don’t have a clue what there talking about so I’m worried I just want to keep these little fish healthy safe and some what happy in a larger tank so I want to get them out there old tank as soon as possible
So I’ve just added there old toys and added filter boost to the filter, I’m not sure how long they’ve been in there I’ve had them since yesterday but by the looks of the filter I think a while I’ll send it some picture, I’ve also added a video of the new tank I’ve got so any tips of like live plants or anything I can add to make them more happy for when they get into there new tank also if the filter looks like it’s running properly I’ve watched YouTube videos and it seems to be ok I’m just panicking If ive done it right
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0219.webp
    IMG_0219.webp
    205.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0221.webp
    IMG_0221.webp
    162.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0222.webp
    IMG_0222.webp
    214.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0220.webp
    IMG_0220.webp
    176.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0214.mov
    15.8 MB
Yes, welcome to our forum to start with... :hi:
They'll be fine for the time being. But very smart of you to think of a bigger tank later on... We could all state that they should be in a bigger tank right now. But I completely do understand that the funding should be there as well. It's already a beautiful idea that you've saved these fish. And you can only do your best on helping these fish to take care of them. Once you'll have the bigger tank, keep the smaller tank as a back up.
 
Yes, welcome to our forum to start with... :hi:
They'll be fine for the time being. But very smart of you to think of a bigger tank later on... We could all state that they should be in a bigger tank right now. But I completely do understand that the funding should be there as well. It's already a beautiful idea that you've saved these fish. And you can only do your best on helping these fish to take care of them. Once you'll have the bigger tank, keep the smaller tank as a back

Yes, welcome to our forum to start with... :hi:
They'll be fine for the time being. But very smart of you to think of a bigger tank later on... We could all state that they should be in a bigger tank right now. But I completely do understand that the funding should be there as well. It's already a beautiful idea that you've saved these fish. And you can only do your best on helping these fish to take care of them. Once you'll have the bigger tank, keep the smaller tank as a back up.
 
Thankyou, I’ve changed them over with lots of research and I’m amazed at how well I’ve done they seem so much better already There in a 94litre tank just now they’ve got a lot more room than they had in the old tank but I know they’ll need much more space so I’ve been into look at a much larger tank with the cabinets so I’ll order that in 2 weeks and do a lot more research on how to keep up with the bigger tank but I’ve taken right to it I’ve got them lots of real plants etc and the difference is amazing they seem so playful I’ll post some videos later on and see what everyone thinks if anyone has any pointers or advice on how to better there life’s
 

Most reactions

Back
Top