Fish Pics

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pic 1. Both the main two look female.
Pic 2. Female.
Pic 3. Female.
Pic 4. Female.
Pic 5. Can't tell the top one but I'd guess the bottom is female.
Pic.6. Bottom g.gourami female, moonlights both look female, opaline 3 spot looks male.
Pic 7. Female.
Some of the pics are somewhat blurry so if anyone see's differently please say. :lol:
Hugs,
P.

In the first pic the one in the front is deffinately female. The one behind her I think is male.
The 2nd pic is male.
The 3rd is female.
Aren't these two the same fish as the first pic?
The 4th is also female.
The 5th is a male above, a female below (again - aren't these the same fish?)
In the 6th pic the blue three-spot gourami at the top is male, the gold one at the bottom is female. The moonlight in the middle looks to be a female but I may be mistaken with this one as the pic's too blurry to see the shape clearly from that distance.
The 7th pic is of a female gold three-spot.

Just a note - you can't accurately sex moonlights based on dorsal fin shape alone. You have to look at body shape and color as well. Color, especialy, is difficult to determine from these pictures. Also, moonlights get to 7". Your fish do not appear to be fully grown. Younger fish are difficult to sex because, if they have not reached sexual maturity, males don't have the brighter red/orange coloring and females don't look all that much plumper. The dorsal fins also usualy look about the same at a younger age so it's even less reliable.

The three-spots are very easy to sex and I know both Miss Dib Dabs and I have those right. If you want the rest sexed, post some pics and we'll be able to tell you easily.

intresting the moonlights are all female ????i thort they were going to be all male the big one i was told was doing stuff the male ones do it was holding on too plants and carrying them rownd in its mouth and placeing it in a corner ...............heres some more fun pics of my fish ........i have found its realy hard to get good pics of them they always move :blink: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...82/fishh138.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...82/fishh166.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...82/fishh214.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...82/fishh117.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...82/fishh184.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...82/fishh170.jpg

if you no if there male or female i would like to hear about it but if not injoy the pics :hyper:
oh some time in the future i will probly post about an opaline and a gold im trying to breed i think there male and female if nuthing happens i will send a pic but i hope i dont have to cuz it too 264 pics befor i got the ones i sent ...........i thort the one in the number 6 pics the one u called a opaline was a blue gouramis i thort the opaline were the ones that are blue with like a black spatted color on each side ?i gather your probly right so what typ looks like what i just said hmm i just took 3 pics of the one i mean take a look ...oh and im trying to breed this pair so if the both female or both male please tell me
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...2/fishh2277.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...2/fishh2268.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...2/fishh2272.jpg :D

The 3 spot is most definitely male. Both the golds in that pic look female.
The moonlight in the second pic looks female to me.
Both those at the bottom of pic 3 look like males.
Pic 4 female moonlight at the front and 2 male 3 spots behind her.
Pic 5 moonlight looks female, not entirely sure about the 3 spot below, angle is odd.
Pic 6 I can see 3 male 3 spots by the look of it. Can't tell what the others are.
I will add here that gouramies like cover. Lots of it. I posted some pics from my gouramie tank somewhere to give an idea of how planted they like it. They won't feel happy or safe without it. More like this, this and this.

The bottom pics are a female gold and a male blue. You're ok there. :thumbs: Again with the plants tho!!
Hugs,
P.
Edit:Ignoe the window reflection in the first pic. It was just a bad angle. Not even a window next to their tank!

If you look at my previous post, I don't think all your moonlights are female. That large fish I had down as being male like you say you suspected he might be.

1st pic - the 2 golds are females, the blue is male
2nd pic - male
3rd - those 2 three-spots are male but the 3rd one near the top looks female and quite gravid (unless it just had a huge meal!)
4th - the two three-spots are males, the moonlight looks female
5th - moonlight looks female, three-spot is male
6th - interesting pic but I can't realy see much
7th - female at top, male below
8th - same male on right, female on left
9th - again, male on left, female at right-back

I can't be certain with any of the moonlights. Still, I doubt you have only females as was suggested as that big gourami does look to be a male to me. You have to realise though, that telling from pictures is difficult as you can only use a limmited number of factors to indicate the fish' sex. I've tried to use as many as possible so as to be more accurate but you never know (for example, I can't tell current size or how wide - gravid female - a fish is).

The trichopterus trichogaster color morphs you weren't sure about (plus some others):
blue/wild: http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/other...ichopterus.html (this is a female with an oviously very rounded dorsal and the wild version generaly looks less 'blue' and more greeny-brown in shade)
platinum: javascript:update('http://www.myfishtank.net/reviews/data/7/1499Platinum_gourami_crop.jpg');
Gold(en)/yellow: http://pictures.naturspot.de/images/24-14.html (if you're curious, both are female and this is the perfect example of how fat gravid females look)
opaline: http://www.ex.ac.uk/~brphilli/fish02.htm (a lovely male with a nice, long, pointy dorsal; the opaline pattern can vary from a blue marble to more of a striped pattern)
lavender (scroll down): http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Gouramis,%...ichogasters.htm

sylvia a gravid fish is ????this may be an easy qestion but what dose gravid mean ether i have not herd it used befor or i am reading it wrong ? oh in the number 3 pic u called one that and that was the one that to me looks more difrent then most my other in the belly it dose not look sick and i think it was like that when i got it i may be wrong there.... but the other fish well there bodys seem to match them alot better ...oh and i have at first what i thort were just what female blue gouramis looked like but i am near shore i was wrong thinking that ..they a lot like the blue one only there a brow color not blue and there spots are a little bit lighter my big one of them and a little bit smaller blue had some fry all the fry tured out brow so if you could tell me there name i would like that oh why did fry not come out with some blue and others of them brown like the 2 parents ???sad thing is only 12 fry grew up i gave 11 of them too a friend whos going into breeding fish she has 16 big tanks :eek: ........
....................................Miss Dib Dabs i would love to have plants like that and that many but the stuiped fish shop i buy from dose not have many plants and what are there are smalll and the fish eat or rip them up soon after there in the tank the other day i looked up some fast grewing plants on the net and am going to see if this guy i no who sell a few fish typs and gets a few plants in from time to time will get them for me but there shop dose not realy sell fish so there a good chance that wont work out ......................oh and on one of the other topic pages i posted i said the fishers colors realy brighten up when i first chang the water i think its cuz there mad scaired or the water is a difrent temp cuz after an hour or 2 they go back to normal and thats not dull just less like come near me and i kill u color any way i was wondering if you still think it maby the freshness of the water oh anuther thing i guess i do some thing a bit wrong when changing the water of my tank too cuz its a realy big tank size i cheat when i add the water back so it very near the temp they need qicker i heat the water up befor puting them in by puting some cold and other boiling water till it feels right i wait till the heater in there is doing its thing going off and on every few seconds to show the water rownd the right temp and i have not lost a fish this way befor but i think the temp maby alitle difrent when the fish go back i do it like this cuz i dont have a second tank that would take all the fish for along time hmmmm this is a long post maby i will get lots of good info :D

i thort were just what female blue gouramis looked like but i am near shore i was wrong thinking that ..they a lot like the blue one only there a brown color not blue and there spots are a little bit lighter my big one of them and a little bit smaller blue had some fry all the fry tured out brown so if you could tell me there name i would like that oh why did fry not come out with some blue and others of them brown like the 2 parents ???.............................woops i miss spelll this befor a bit

Annnnd breathe! :S I nearly died reading that lot. :lol:
Gravid gourami means she's carrying eggs. And having looked at her again myself I'd have to agree. She does look very round.
The plants I got weren't massive when I bought them either. I just let them grow. There are some goody, hardy plants that'll grow reasonably quick but I'm not a plant expert. You need to ask in the planted section. They'll know. :thumbs:
Genetics is the thing for the fry. Whatever genes are more dominant will come through in the fry. Presently I'm trying for some lavenders but so far seem to have only golds. But I don't think that's genetics, just that the opaline or blue females aren't old enough to be spawing yet and all the fry are from gold girls.
Hugs,
P.

intresting to no at the moment im a little worryed i put the 2 i wanted to breed in a new tank by them selfs i lowed the water a bit and put what little plants i could buy in there im trying to breed a opaline and a gold the female is the gold and would be near mateing age i would guess but im not shore last time i had 2 in there that i got frys from it took about 2 weeks befor ether showed intrest so i put the 2 in there last night and now i see at least the male wants to be loved lol cuz theres bubbles arownd the tank not a nest but i gather it means hes thinking about it hes going after the female as well not hurting just following her rownd and rownd the tank now and then ........i cant get any fry food till the end of this week i hope nuthing happens till then ...........................oh dose any one no what the brown color gouramis name is cuz i dont no it looks just like a blue but is brown like river water....................................oh and my friends going to try an order in some plant i looked up on the net that are fast grewing and dont need much light

No offence meant but could you try using punctuation? You know - sentences? It's just realy difficult to make out what you are trying to say and I kind of gave up half-way with a lot of it. You'll get better responses if it's easier to understand what you mean and I assure you it doesn't realy take all that much longer to put in a few extra full stops or capital letters.

Concerning the color thing...

Some background first of all:

The orginal wild color of the three-spot gourami is a green-brown fish with two dark spots and some blue shading. The commonly seen light powder blue color of the 'blue' three-spot has been selectively bred over generations because this 'cleaner' version of the color is more popular.

Gold gouramies (and platinums) are a mutation of the 'normal' (blue) color. Platinums are simply selectively bred golds that have been chosen to be lighter and lighter.

Don't worry about 'opaline' - this is a pattern rather than a color morph. Also, lavenders usualy result from opaline/gold crosses but are not relevant to what I want to explain.

Now the explenation - the 'brown' fish you are seeing are 'blue' gouramies that have simply reverted to the wild coloring. This probably happened because, somewhere down the line, their parents were not blue (ie they were gold/opaline or lavender). The way genetics work, all the selective breeding put into getting those clear blue colors was pretty much destroyed when the fish bred with a gold mutation. They are still the same species and still 'blue' - just not the common blue color. Even if both their parents were a wonderful clear blue, colors can be carried over generations and skip generations. Similarly, just because you breed 2 blues together, doesn't mean all the offspring will be blue as it all depends on exactly what egnes the parents are carrying.

Anyway, no need to concern yourself with these things realy - the color makes absolutely no difference to behaviour and they are all still the same species. Having said that, if there's a particular color you want to breed, the most reliable way to get at least SOME offspring of the required color is to use parents who are also that color.

I hope that answers that question though I'm terrible at explaining this kind of thing and, realy, a lot is educated guesswork as there isn't much info on three-spot color genetics around so I don't know which traits are recessive/dominant or exactly how each came about. Maybe I'll try a breeding experiment some time in future to work all that out :p

sylvia no offence taken i was worryed some one might see and get mad about it ......u see its not that i dont take the time its that i was shocking at school with just about all things and spelling and sentences are a problem for me :unsure: i have had peepl ask befor on chat site if i realy speak english befor if this is a problem tell me and i guess i will stop posting and go back to looking stuff up instead of posting qestions cuz i dont want any one geting mad cuz of this ...................................................in some posts i have been geting the spelling of words i dont no from other posts of other peepl or useing a word that i no that means kind of the same thing but would have been better to use the one i could not spell.......im sorry as i said tell me if u want me to leave or some thing i no some peepl have a problem with it in chat sites so i undewrstand :unsure:

Good lord, no! No one wants you to leave hon. I have dyslexia in my family (My Mother and younger brother) and I used to work alongside a dyslexic school (The students there lived in the same house as those of us who worked on the riding yard there and we had meals together etc.) so it really isn't a problem. If you have something you're having trouble putting into words just do your best but try and make sure you say so too. Makes it a little easier for those that aren't so aware of such a problem. :) My Mum still gets narked if someone corrects her so don't take it wrong if we do. Me especially. My Dad was always doing it to us and it sorta rubbed off a bit. :*)
Have you ever thought about joining a local eductaion place that helps people with dyslexia? More often then not there are local adult education places that run beginner english etc for those with difficulties. Might help. :thumbs: And I suffer dyspraxia. Not the same thing as yours of course but just as much a problem. :grr:
Anyways, Sylvia looks to have covered plenty of issues there but do ask more q's if you need to.
Hugs,
P.

:) thanks ....off the topic of fish for a second i am not dyslexic ....i do have Epilepsy but thats not why i was not good in school i just found it realy hard to take in the sort of stuff they tryed to teach i think its more i have a difrent way of thinking there for i dont learn thing the same ways as most cuz im not stupied on an IQ test i got a 125 and in that test the avrage was arownd 90 .....im happy the way i am i guess if i could fix some thing about me it would be how i relate to other peepl im so shy i dont talk to any one i dont have that problem on the net ..........................back to the fish the 2 fish i put in to breed well theres lots of bubble rownd the tank but i dont think any thing happened yet it was funny but cuz the males made a not that great nest out of a few plants and the bubble it was near one side but he could not get the female over there for long so he got on one end and pushed the hole nest in to the midel of the tank do most go that far to get the female to see them ?

My son has epilepsy too. He attends a special needs school. :)
My male does not move his nest. He has his territory and builds there and then coaxes females in by flaring and showing off to them. In fact he's at it right now! :lol: Damn, why is it you never have a camera at the right time. :rolleyes:
If you have a particularly inexperienced male or one that has no established territory it may be it'll act in a different way. It's on reason I'm not keen on having seperate breeding tanks although I understand the need for them.
Hugs,
P.

Yep, males will try their very best to get a female's attention and often she'll ignore him until she is ready. You know that fish I said looked heavily gravid? Maybe try using her instead as she'll be more ready to breed. Also, keep an eye on your male if you keep him with the current female. If she isn't ready and refuses to spawn, he may get frustrated and start becoming quite a bit more aggressive towards her. Just make sure you are looking out for a change in behaviour so you can seperate them before he can cause any serious damage.

About the spelling thing - I absolutely do NOT want you to go! I am deffinately not mad either. I have absolutely nothing against people who aren't very good with spelling or punctuation. I'm not the best speller in the world myself (you have no idea how many times I end up editing some posts... :p) and have quite a few friends with writing/reading problems. The only reason I mentioned it is for your own benefit because a lot of times people will not read through posts they find difficult to understand. Personaly, I'll try to read any post regardless of how difficult. The thing is, a lot of people come on here and type in short-hand or with joint sentences in order to save time and it makes you think they don't care all that much about getting people to understand and getting a response and that would just be a waste of time for everyone. Then there are also many great people like yourself who do care about their fish and simply aren't good at writing - that's not a problem. A surprisingly large proportion of the people here are dyslexic, don't speak english as a first language or simply aren't that good with spelling/grammar. They are all valuable members of the board and all seem to be responsible fish keepers. I respect you all the more for trying :thumbs: and having the guts to ask questions when you need to. :) It shows you care about your fish. Don't worry about the spelling - as long as it's possible to partly make out what you mean - I, and Miss Dib Dabs I believe, will try to help out ;)

Do let us know what happens with your three-spots. I hope you get them to breed! :D

edit: Just to add something extra to what Miss Dib Dabs said, in a permanent set-up, the male will not usualy move his nest around because he has a territory in one area of the tank as he has to share the tank with other fish. When you put him in the breeding tank, besides not having set up a permanent territory yet, he's likely to feel the whole tank is 'his' space so moving the bubblenest around within the tank does not move it outside his territory. That's why males in a breeding tank are more likely to re-locate their nests than those in a permanent tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back