Fish Pics

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No, he's darkening to be able to show off fully to any female around. It's perfectly natural.
There's a fair bit about my gouramies in a thread I update in this section. Ah here. I need to try and get some more up-to-date pics of the rapidly growing fry really. They have changed alot and look much more like miniatures of their parents now although they still have little colour. I have around 2 dozen in the fry tank and goodness only knows how many in the main tank. I just spend a little time when I can catching a few and transfering them, but it is very difficult. I did have alot more in the fry tank but some while back I had to station a gourami in it overnight to return him to the lfs as he was a late developing male and I'd wanted a female. :rolleyes: All the younger fry were taken in just that small time. Pity. :-(
Hugs,
P.

sounds nice i have put the plants but under the stones hehehehe and put bigger stones ontop lets see them pull them up .............the male has not made a bubble nest yet like it did befor he seems intrested but not as much as he was with the poor gold im hopeing its a male and female i made a small place to hide in there this time funny thing is the male sits in the hideing place when hes resting so the female dose not hide ...............oh miss dib dab are u going to watch the new harry potter film :D

Queenie kind of remind me of the biggest 3 spot one i have that is the one i thort was female and im going to get a better pic soon of it to post here so u can tell me if its male female or some space fish from anuth planet :blink: i like how this site has the terms Fish Addict and
Leader of the Fishes and others for the many posts peepl make hehehe its funny and i think you and sylvia must no a heap of stuff im curus if u no so much why are u on just about every day im guessing its day when you get online cuz i dont think u would be on when i am cuz where i live in westen austraila its arownd 11 30 12 00 most of the time when i start geting messages from both of u

I am in the UK. :) I tend to be on and off throughout the day because I'm a modmin on a bands site elsewhere on the internet.
I also don't know that much. Most comes from experience and I've learnt a fair bit from other members on this site too. :thumbs:
Oh and if it is a fish from another planet I may have to fishnap it. ;)
Hugs,
P.

im not shore if u saw this on page 2 so i thort i would copy and repost it ............. sounds nice i have put the plants but under the stones hehehehe and put bigger stones ontop lets see them pull them up .............the male has not made a bubble nest yet like it did befor he seems intrested but not as much as he was with the poor gold im hopeing its a male and female i made a small place to hide in there this time funny thing is the male sits in the hideing place when hes resting so the female dose not hide ...............oh miss dib dab are u going to watch the new harry potter film biggrin.gif

Hello again :) I live in the UK too and tend to come on here late afternoon. I also mostly know what I do from my own experiences but you learn a lot by researching and asking lots of questions.

I took a look at the picture again but I still think the bottom 2 are male and the top one is female.
The top one looks much too fat to be male though her dorsal is unusualy long (but rounded). The one in the middle is undoubtedly male. ther's no question about it. The one at the bottom looks male to me but a better picture could possibly persuade me otherwise. I would still stick by my original inference. Which one exactly is it you weren't sure about (as there are 3 in the pic)?

Posting another picture of that fish might be a good idea.

sighs :( i had some realy good long qestions typed up but then the computer stuffed up arrrrrrrr no i cant rember them alll................but i can answer a few things the brown one is the one im trubled about oh and a small bubble nest started last night can light stop them from building there nests cuz this is the same male as befor and he made a nest the very night i put him in there last time that was in more of a dark corner of the room i moved the breeding tank after i returned him and the poor gold back to the big tank but i left some plants in the tank and moved it too a bighter place in the room but soon after that i found i could breed some more with out worrying how to get rid of them so i put the same male and that green one you thort was a female back there the male took 2 days befor starting a nest this time and that was at night
............................the reson im confused about this brown fish is cuz i think it acted more female when breeding and when its fins not lieing down its not as big as my other male ones and more rownded oh by the way i think over half the ones i have are male arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr oh heres the new pics not that great ...im shore the fish just like to hide cuz there camra shy http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...iskkkh44328.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...ish443kkk49.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...ish443kkk33.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/jaz...ish4kkk4348.jpg

i have a qestion the 2 im trying too breed im useing the male i tryed befor with the gold female is it posible that he could not be a good breeding one for some reson cuz he makes the nest but seem to pick on the female he is with... is this a problem or is it normal for breeding the female stay in anuth corner most of the time i have anuther male of the same typ but hes a little smaller probly still is ready for breeding but the one im useing now i no is old anuth the other should be but i cant be shore so im going with the bigger one for now unless some one tells me other wise
................................the male seem to pull a bit at her bottem fin ........if u rember i took the female gold out cuz he had bitten alittle off her bottem fin need some help here ,,,,oh and the males bigger then the female if that helps any ...................so info on both of my last posts will be realy good to hear

It's normal for a male three-spot to pick on the female when they are in a breeding tank. This is one good reason to only keep them together for a very short time. If they aren't breeding, try increasing the temperature, lowering water level, increasing the number of plants/ornaments in the breeding tank and feeding them some live foods. If the tank is under 20 gallons, it would be best to seperate the pair for a while - leave the female in the main tank and the male in the breeding tank. For a week or two feed them lots of live foods, then put the female in with the male and increase the temperature to around 80-81 deg. F. As soon as they have spawned, take the female out so she doesn't get any more stressed. If at any point the pair is harming one another seriously, seperate them and try again after a few days.

About the fish in the pics - it does look female after all. It was probably just the angle of the other pictures that was misleading. She has a short dorsal and quite a fat belly as well. It was difficult to see the shape in the other pictures and her fin is unusualy pointed so it looked like she was male in the other picture (as the fin was folded a little).

well i just did some thing i did not want too cuz think i will probly end up with brown gouramis this time as well that male i had in there was realy trying to harm the female so i took him and the female out and put the big brown i guess female cuz its the one in the pics and put a difrent male in there but of the same typ as the other male oh strang the first male befor i took him out had turn almost all black it was a green one with a black strip down it when it first went in there then went evil :crazy: as for live food i cant get any of that well not from shops and not shore what wont kill them in the wild

If you can't get live foods, frozen is the next best thing. You should be able to get frozen daphnia, frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp at your LFS. Ask them if you don't already have some.

As for the color change in the male - are you sure it wasn't simply breeding colors? They do darken/brighten when they are ready to spawn.

and can a male be too agressive too a female and so should not be one you should try breeding

i live in realy small town and theres no LFS any where near by and the one i no of in anuther town only has dry or fry foods brine shrimp is one of the many things in the dry food i feed them if that helps

i think it was breeding color but to turn black??????????????????????????????i think he went to the dark side lol :D

Yes, you can sometimes get very aggressive males that should not be bred. Usualy, however, these are extreme cases where the male tries to or actualy kills the females he is put with repeatedly. Use your own judgement - if you think the male is being too aggressive and stressing the female he is with, try another female. If that doesn't work, try a different male. Sometimes it may also just be best to give up for the time being and let the fish go into 'breeding mode' on their own. It may take a little longer but it's a lot less stressful on both the fish and yourself.

As for the color, I doubt he actualy went black. Dark I understand - but not actualy black. This is breeding color and nothing to worry about. Color changes aren't a problem unless the fish gets paler than normal - in which case it might be ill. If he went darker, he was just showing off to his girlfriend. Still, the female won't always appreciate this and it is a good idea to seperate fish that are acting aggressively towards each other regardless of how ready one of them seems to be to breed. They'll only spawn successfuly when both are ready.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i will keep watch after the message be for i thort i would try the gold and the male one more time befor stoping with the evil male as thats what i call him now i cleaned the tank and thats cooled him off abit for now but it seems he just gets bad after a time with a female its like hes realy intrested in breeding but he wants to gard his nwst evan from the female crazy fish oh and as for the color hes changed back again but when he turns black he gos very near the black u see on there spots thats why i hope to breed him one day cuz he looks soo strang like that the only thing thats not that black color is the see throo dots on the bottem fin and there a see throo green oh and i bleave i have five female fish and 10 males in the big tank 2 of the female are not old anuth too breed all the fish are happy in tthe big tank but i dont think they will ever breed there they never show intrest and the water is never very still cuz of the filter...............after this gold i may try one last female the big brown one cuz shes bigger then the male i hope the male will be less agressive to her problem is i think shes the typ that never stands up for her self and runs more then the little ladys any more info will be more then welcome i thort this would be easy cuz the last the dame things would not stop breeding ..................................i cant rember how i stoped them now but they had like 3 lots of frys in three days i only had 2 tanks lucky they were the only 2 fish i had at the time but still half the fry turned into live food cuz the male and female hand no where to go after i moved them the first time oh well i will keep u upto date ...........sighs this is very stressing on me dame male i wish the big brown one was male then it might teach the other male a lesson i am not a crule person but some times i wish the evil male would get a tast of the pain i think the females are in

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back