Filter Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CamG369

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 105L tank, long. The filter on it is a 1000EF all pond solutions one that, according to the website has a flow rate of 1000 litres per hour. I was just wondering if this is too strong? The flow coming out of it is pretty hefty but it has been running for a good couple of months now.

If it is too much, would you have any recommendations? Hang on backs aren't an option due to the design of the tank lid hence the external one and the filter it came with wasn't adequate

Thanks for your help

So the GPH of your filter should be 264.17.

For a 105L tank, that seems a bit much to me. Are you saying that the intake (Is sucking fish up?) is to strong? Or the output is to strong? (As in there is so much a current.)

So the GPH of your filter should be 264.17.

For a 105L tank, that seems a bit much to me. Are you saying that the intake (Is sucking fish up?) is to strong? Or the output is to strong? (As in there is so much a current.)
No the intake is fine and the fish swim near it with no struggle at all. The outtake though is strong but this blows just under the surface of the water from right to left.

Any chance of a picture of said filter and tank? (Just use the "Attach Files" button below)

The first is of the output, the second is an air stone, the bubbles are being pushed by the flow. This sits at the half way point of the tank

Attachments

• 20200403_134228.jpg
    20200403_134228.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 20200403_134258.jpg
    20200403_134258.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 151
I am pretty sure that All Pond Solutions are one of those brands that give a quoted filter output with no media in the filter. When media is put in the flow rate drops significantly. I have read many posts over the years by members who use APS filter and they often report that the true flow rate with media is around half the quoted value. Which means that your true flow rate will be somewhere around 500 litres per hour, which is 5 times the tank volume per hour. Unless you have fish which need a slow flow, that is OK.

Well if the pit put was so strong, the male guppy that is closest to it would be struggling. When they swim in front of the outflow, does it seem like they are struggling?

Well if the pit put was so strong, the male guppy that is closest to it would be struggling. When they swim in front of the outflow, does it seem like they are struggling?
Hes not actually in front of it, just off to the side of it. They dont struggle unless they go directly into the stream of it but some do that intentionally and swim against it.

It may well be fine, just wanted to be sure. It's been running for more than a couple months now

Hes not actually in front of it, just off to the side of it. They dont struggle unless they go directly into the stream of it but some do that intentionally and swim against it.

It may well be fine, just wanted to be sure. It's been running for more than a couple months now
Can you adjust it? If you can, try to angle it either up, or off to the back of the tank. (So the flow is against the glass, not right down the middle).

A flow rate of 1000 liter per hour for a 105 liter tank is too strong.

A flow rate of 400-600 liter per hour (turning your whole tank water 4-6 times per hour) is sufficient for an external canister filter.
In 105 liter tank, the tank space isn't big. The fish will be blown away if you have too strong flow rate.

If what essjay mentioned is correct, then you don't have to adjust your tank filter flow rate.

Take note that all filters will slow down after some time due to accumulation of debris/fish waste in the filter media compartment especially if you don't clean it frequently.

Nevertheless, if you find that your filter flow rate is too strong, here are some suggestions on how to slow down the flow rate:

1)Add more fine sponge pad in the canister filter medias compartment.
Replace the coarse sponge pad with fine sponge pad.
It will definitely reduce the flow rate.

OR

2)Connect a Pre-filter to the intake outlet to slow down the flow rate.
Here are some Pre-filters. They don't have any motor/impeller to suck the water. It depends on your external filter to suck the water up.

a)Shiruba XB-3101
But please check the hose diameter to ensure that it can be connected to your external filter.

b)Eheim
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UNK5AG/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The All Pond Solutions filters only deliver ~half the quoted flow rate, so the quoted 1000 litres per hour with no media inside becomes ~500 litres per hour once media is put into the filter. This make is well known for this drop in flow rate when used in a tank compared to when empty. This is within the 400 to 600 litres per hour that Lajos_Detari recommends.
Some brands quote the flow rate with media inside the filter; Eheim is one of these so the flow rate in use is virtually the same as their quoted flow rates.

You could also use a spray bar, there doesn't seem to be one on the photo. These create several smaller jets of water rather than one big one.

Hi, I have pointed it towards glass so that has reduced the flow. I never did it before because I thought it would be too strong

Thanks for your help

Hi, I have pointed it towards glass so that has reduced the flow. I never did it before because I thought it would be too strong

Thanks for your help
No problem! Always here to help. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back