The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

linds

Reaction score
Hi, Iā€™m new to this forum this is my first thread so Iā€™m sorry if Iā€™m doing this wrong, hopefully you guys can help and Iā€™ll learn along the way. Anyways, I recently noticed my peppered Cory cat chasing around the largest fish in my tank which is my female black molly. It doesnā€™t seem to be aggressive, maybe heā€™s having fun? The molly chases around my other mollies(her babies) and my 2 platies but never the Cory cat. Just curious as to what might be going on. Also I know Coryā€™s perfer to school, I had two but one passed and my tank is too small and overstocked to add more. I would like to upgrade to a bigger tank or add another 10g to have more room for them all but any suggestions on what I can do right now? I will upload a video of the chasing. Yes my water seems milky but my water tests were perfect, I just switched from gravel to sand for my Cory cat so maybe itā€™s a bacterial bloom from stirring up the gravel?

I tried posting a video but even the 6 sec clip I trimmed is too large to upload as is the picture

Probably trying to socialize with it, causr it is alone.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Agree. You need a small group of cory catfish, but if this is only a 10g tank, this may not be advisable. How many fish now (species and number)?

The cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom, nothing to worry about. Did you keep the filter from before? It will have the nitrifying bacteria.

Agree. You need a small group of cory catfish, but if this is only a 10g tank, this may not be advisable. How many fish now (species and number)?

The cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom, nothing to worry about. Did you keep the filter from before? It will have the nitrifying bacteria.
Yesterday I found an lfs that takes donations so I took the good majority of my Molly fry and one of my platies, Iā€™m down to the Cory cat, mature female Molly, 2 juvenile Molly and one platy. Would it be alright for me to get another Cory? And yes I did about a 30% water change(got to lazy to do 50) yesterday and I kept the same filter but it was looking gross so I gave it a good rinsing in some of the tank water that I removed.

Yes, you should definitely get 1 or 2 more cories, they are schooling fish and enjoy each others company. I have 7, and it's fun watching them play with each all other all day. They are somewhat "spirited" and 2 of mine will now and then playfully chase one of my large angelfish around. I know what you mean as it really doesn't appear to be an aggressive behavior and as long as the one being chased doesn't seem to be bothered probably nothing to worry about, I would just get him a couple of friends.

Before rushing out and buying fish...
Mollies require very hard water.
Corys do best in soft water.
It is extremely unlikely (as in impossible) that you can provide a healthy environment for both of these species in the same tank.

Please let us know the hardness of your water. The number you are loooking for is GH. If you don't have a test kit the information should be available on your water suppliers website. We need the number as well as the unit of measurement because there are several different ones in use. Once we know this information we will be in a better position to advise.

Yes, you should definitely get 1 or 2 more cories, they are schooling fish and enjoy each others company. I have 7, and it's fun watching them play with each all other all day. They are somewhat "spirited" and 2 of mine will now and then playfully chase one of my large angelfish around. I know what you mean as it really doesn't appear to be an aggressive behavior and as long as the one being chased doesn't seem to be bothered probably nothing to worry about, I would just get him a couple of friends.
My Cory is def my favorite, I love his happy little soul, I canā€™t wait to be able to provide some companions for him, he seems a lot happier since I also switched from gravel to sand so now he can really dig around and stuff, thank you

Before rushing out and buying fish...
Mollies require very hard water.
Corys do best in soft water.
It is extremely unlikely (as in impossible) that you can provide a healthy environment for both of these species in the same tank.

Please let us know the hardness of your water. The number you are loooking for is GH. If you don't have a test kit the information should be available on your water suppliers website. We need the number as well as the unit of measurement because there are several different ones in use. Once we know this information we will be in a better position to advise.
I believe it was around 75 GH when I tested after my last water change. Iā€™ve had both my Cory and mollies for at least 6 months and they all seem happy and healthy, my Molly has even birthed fry at least twice and those have all been healthy as well. Although I do want to provide them with he best possible conditions so once I am financially able to get a bigger tank or a second 10g tank I will separate them since I want a school of cories I know they will need plenty of space for themselves

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back