The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dopey696

Reaction score
Hello peoples. My betta that I've had for about a year now seems to be having some problems. I first noticed about a week ago that it was a bit lethargic and not moving as much as it usually does. It seems to have no energy, doesn't swim around, and is always resting on top of things. Today as I was doing my morning examination of the tanks i noticed the betta is a bit bloated on the back half and it's eyes seem to a bit bulgy. I tried feeding it peas over the last few days in case it was constipated. But I'm really not sure what's going on and the betta seems to be suffering. I provided a few pictures of the betta trying to focus on the swollen area. Any information would be appreciated. Does anyone have ideas of what might be ailing the betta?

Attachments

• WP_20170112_14_28_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170112_14_28_12_Pro.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 205
  • WP_20170109_14_33_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170109_14_33_27_Pro.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 209
  • WP_20170109_14_34_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170109_14_34_34_Pro.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 194
Hello peoples. My betta that I've had for about a year now seems to be having some problems. I first noticed about a week ago that it was a bit lethargic and not moving as much as it usually does. It seems to have no energy, doesn't swim around, and is always resting on top of things. Today as I was doing my morning examination of the tanks i noticed the betta is a bit bloated on the back half and it's eyes seem to a bit bulgy. I tried feeding it peas over the last few days in case it was constipated. But I'm really not sure what's going on and the betta seems to be suffering. I provided a few pictures of the betta trying to focus on the swollen area. Any information would be appreciated. Does anyone have ideas of what might be ailing the betta?
Hmmmm... does he have a heater in his tank? And how big is his tank? Any tank mates? What brand of pellets were you feeding him? I would keep trying to feed him peas and set the water temp to 82 degrees. After 2 more days of feeding him peas and making the water warmer if you dont notice any improvment then tell me!

I would keep trying to feed him peas
Strongly disagree do not feed Bettas peas.

You need to give us more information.
How big is the tank
Has it got a filter
What is your water change schedule
What water treatments do you use
What do you feed the fish
How much and how often
What are your water parameters, Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate.
Can you provide a photo of the fish from the top looking down on it.

I already tried to feed it peas over the last few days so its to late to not do that. The tank is a 2.5g betta tank, I have attached a picture of the entire tank as well as an overhead of the betta, yes it's filtered and heated. I change the water in all my tanks weekly, currently using API water conditioner. Feeding with New life Spectrum .5mm pellets, a few pellets once, sometimes twice a day. Tank mates are two albino Cory cats which he has always payed no attention to.
water parameters are as follows:
ph 7.0
salt about 80ppm
chlorine 0
hardness 75
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10

Attachments

• WP_20170112_16_08_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170112_16_08_15_Pro.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 219
  • WP_20170112_16_08_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170112_16_08_00_Pro.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 221
  • WP_20170112_16_07_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170112_16_07_54_Pro.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 211
salt about 80ppm

Are you adding aquarium salt? If you are stop, and do a 50% water change now and 50% tomorrow to get rid of the salt, Your fish is bloated and aquarium salt is no good for it.

Do not feed him anything for 2 or 3 days, If he is still bloated we may need to try Epsom salt bath.

Tank mates are two albino Cory cats
Re home these that tank is way too small for them and they need to be kept in groups of 8 or more.

What are your ammonia readings.

a few pellets once,

How much is a few?

I did as suggested and the fish died. The tank is now empty, tiny tanks are difficult and took a long time to stabilize. I think it's just going to turn into a quarantine tank. Thanks for the advise.

Most reactions

Back