Another Prehistoric Monster!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
ive seen pbb on import lists at £300 each for 30cm+ but dont have the cash atm

Wouldn't suprise me.
WC "Chad" PBB are widely available now, and it's a good time to buy them.

WC Turkana are still pretty much impossible to find (Only 15 known in captivity, all in Japan. The 60cm one I posted in this thread earlier cost me in the 1000s)
Kamihata PBB (captive breed) are only available in Japan and a few asian countries and command a hefty price tag.
Then there is the Kamihata "Premium" breed (like the one posted above) that are also in the 1000s. (These are F1, and of hifgh quality and some like mine have 18 finlets compared with the 15/16 normally found)

I like the Chads, they are quite active and look nice in groups. If you can buy, do it whilst you can!

I have never seen Bichir before, but I must say they are very interesting looking fish! What size tank do you have them in?

I have never seen Bichir before, but I must say they are very interesting looking fish! What size tank do you have them in?

They are spread out over 6 tanks.
The smallest being 4ft x 2ft x 2ft, the biggest being 7ft x 3ft x 3ft.
Plus a pond that at the moment is housing a pair of adult wild PO. Bichir Bichirs on the hope of breeding.

I this really 50cm looks smaller
How wide is the tank as it looks to not be able to turn around very easy without having to bend

If the fish is 50cm that would mean the tank is less than 60cm wide which is to small for the aro

Need a upgrade soon

I this really 50cm looks smaller
How wide is the tank as it looks to not be able to turn around very easy without having to bend

If the fish is 50cm that would mean the tank is less than 60cm wide which is to small for the aro

Need a upgrade soon

May not look it from the pics?

They are both bigger than 50cm, and the tank is wider than 60cm.

The Black will by the winter be going into a 7ft x 3ft x3ft tank that is currently holding some rays.
The Bichir Bichir will be staying in said tank.

I AM A RESPONSIBLE FISHKEEPER, I know what size tanks I need, and have those tanks NOW on hand.

I was not saying you are not responsible

A black aro was the 1st aro I ever kept I had it for 7 years and it grew to close to 3ft great fish

Don't underestimate the size of any ray even a 3ft wide tank maybe to small for adult motoro or Leo they just get so big

My female p14 that you see in my avitar is now 4 years old and has a disk size of 20 inch and would cramped in a 3ft wide tank

You have a nice collection

I was not saying you are not responsible

A black aro was the 1st aro I ever kept I had it for 7 years and it grew to close to 3ft great fish

Don't underestimate the size of any ray even a 3ft wide tank maybe to small for adult motoro or Leo they just get so big

My female p14 that you see in my avitar is now 4 years old and has a disk size of 20 inch and would cramped in a 3ft wide tank

You have a nice collection

Yeah, unfortunately, the I don't own the Rays, they are just in the tank that I will be collecting soon.
I would love to keep Rays, as we are lucky to have a good supply of very nice ones here in Japan, but it is one of those fish I have never tried keeping, and I worry might be problematic with a lot of the bottom dwellers I keep.

I have seen some "Sakura" rays kept in my LFS ( http://big-in.jp ) that look absolutely stunning! They really do live up to their name, and Japan being the nation of "Sakura", would be great to own!

Sukara ray is the name they give in Asia for the flower ray
They are a very nice ray but I'm sorry to say that dilute-flower rays are one of the largest fresh water rays and can get to well over a 3ft disk they also have a very long tail

Rays are not hard to keep no harder than any other fish but yes you are right they may chew your polys so not worth the risk

Sukara ray is the name they give in Asia for the flower ray
They are a very nice ray but I'm sorry to say that dilute-flower rays are one of the largest fresh water rays and can get to well over a 3ft disk they also have a very long tail

Rays are not hard to keep no harder than any other fish but yes you are right they may chew your polys so not worth the risk

Yes, the ones in Big-in are rather large! Gorgeous none the less.
Tank size is luckily never a problem for me really, as ponds / pools are the norm here.
But I really have enough fish on my hands right now, and the pond will be dedicated to my love of Bichirs (especially once big-in get the 80cm PO. Ansorgii back in!
So Rays is just something for me to look at online and drool over lol!

These are the ones I were watching feed in Big-in:

090109_2344373.jpg

absolutely stunning fish, you must be very happy to keep Rays.
If I didn't collect Bichirs, Rays would mosst definitely be something I would look into!

wow , thats a very impressive collection youve got . especially that beast of a bichir never seen 1 even close to that size before :hyper:

wow , thats a very impressive collection youve got . especially that beast of a bichir never seen 1 even close to that size before :hyper:

Thankyou.
Given a good diet, decent sized housing and good water they can get quite large!

Here is a WC "Lake Omo" PO. Bichir Bichir (very very rare) at about 75cm, dead from finding a lid panel not weighted down enough and jumping!!!:

555edz.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back