Another Prehistoric Monster!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wow, great fishes,,, :good:
I am afraid that the big one would eat the small one,,,

That would be a bummer!
Though it is safe. The bigger one is 56cm tha smaller 38cm.

They get on great and the bigger being a fertile male, the smaller a fertile female, I am intent on breeding these rare monsters!
He has a choice of 3 females to play with, he seems to only want to play with her...

The wife recently lost her Discus collection, and fancied venturing into Bichirs.

She will be looking after mine while I go Motorcycle travelling later this year, so today I treated her to a few little Bichirs for her to grow out before she looks after mine.

Anyway, some pics: (Delhezi and Teugelsi)

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

Update of the Juvenile Teugelsi:

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

This little girl has a crazy appetite!
It will just keep noshing on the Hikari until it balloons up!

Update on the biggest of my Bichir Bichirs:
This WC is 58cm long now, and doesn't show any sign of slowing down.

IMG_2317.JPG

I've had some small bichir's but yet to have one with the external gills still on it.

All down to oxygen content of the water.
You must have plenty of oxygen!

This isn't proven, and I am still skeptical about it, but that's what is said!

A little update on wifey's new fish.

They are both eating like pigs, the Teug especially!

Considering the Delhezi was just a regular Del, not a Dory-K or Gef, I think it is showing great color and patterning!

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

Amazing collection! Love the new Bichir Bichir and the Ansorgii :hyper:

It's interesting someone mentioned the external gills. My Ornate has these and always wondered what they were. We called them his feather boa. Was hard to find any info on it. Is it a good thing?

I am getting a 6x2x2 soon and think I'll probably end up getting an Endli as well, as always wanted one. Typically they didn't have any at the place I normally get them from this time around.

I love Bichirs, they are addictive. And so funny.

Can I ask what you feed yours on?

Thanks guys!
@ChilliPepper, I feed a main of Hikari Massivore.
I mix that with (on different days):

Earthworms
Mealworms
Market Shrimp
Tilapia
Waka Sagi (a local fish)
Beef heart.

Heres a couple more:

Polypterus Congicus
IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

Polypterus Bichir Bichir "Turkana"
IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

They are lovely, and I like the reddish substrate you use. Really brings their colours out, which I guess is the idea.

I'll swap onto Massivore when they get bigger. Currently mine get Hikari Cichlid Gold and Carnivore pellets. I'd like to give them more variety, but it's a job getting passed greedy cichlids. I do feed them all dried earth worms, but my polys are a bit dim and it oftens takes them a time to find them, then a cichlid comes by and grabs it from under their nose lol.

So have many polys do you have now and what size tanks are they all in?

They are lovely, and I like the reddish substrate you use. Really brings their colours out, which I guess is the idea.

I'll swap onto Massivore when they get bigger. Currently mine get Hikari Cichlid Gold and Carnivore pellets. I'd like to give them more variety, but it's a job getting passed greedy cichlids. I do feed them all dried earth worms, but my polys are a bit dim and it oftens takes them a time to find them, then a cichlid comes by and grabs it from under their nose lol.

I got 40 "non juvenile" Bichirs at present.
and another 15 that are juveniles growing out.

They are spread out over 6 tanks smallest being 4x2x2 biggest being a 7x3x2.5
then the grow out which is 4x2x1.5.

As for feeding, use a tube to get food to the bottom, and when the lights are out.

As for feeding, use a tube to get food to the bottom, and when the lights are out.

Nice collection! It's so difficult getting Polys around here. Senegals are easy enough to get hold of, but they don't appeal to me. Not sure why. Maybe they don't look 'ancient' enough :lol:

Ah you see my polys know the lights on = food soon. It may be easier to give them extra food once they move into the 6ft. They get enough of the pellets, so eat well enough. Just unlikely they'd get to prawns or something in time.

Nice collection! It's so difficult getting Polys around here. Senegals are easy enough to get hold of, but they don't appeal to me. Not sure why. Maybe they don't look 'ancient' enough :lol:

Ah you see my polys know the lights on = food soon. It may be easier to give them extra food once they move into the 6ft. They get enough of the pellets, so eat well enough. Just unlikely they'd get to prawns or something in time.

Where in the world are you?

Anywhere in Asia, I can ship ANY Bichirs. (including Bichir Bichir, Palmas Palmas, Tugelusi etc)
Anywhere in US or Europe I have a friend that can also ship ANY Bichir.

If you want anything, let me know.

Where in the world are you?

Anywhere in Asia, I can ship ANY Bichirs. (including Bichir Bichir, Palmas Palmas, Tugelusi etc)
Anywhere in US or Europe I have a friend that can also ship ANY Bichir.

If you want anything, let me know.

Ohhh tempting! :hyper:

Funnily enough, went to LFS Saturday, and what happened to be there but a tank with 4 beautiful Senegals :lol: There's me saying they don't appeal to me, and I end up coming away with the cutest little face! She's so active, and nice to have a different colour one. My Ornate has a crush on her I think.

I'd really like an Endli to complete my collection, if you know of anyone in England who is selling them or will ship to England?

Oh and my Polys adore dried earthworms I get from one of my LFS. My Oscar can't be bothered to eat them as they are quite chewy, but my Ornate thinks they are wonderful :lol:

Thanks again guys.

@Simonas, yes the bichir bichir has immense green on it's head. Looks amazing in person. Also, I have a friend that keeps large lower jaw bichirs with Discus.
It looks awesome. But yeah the tetras would be a problem!

Here you said he kept bichirs with Discus i keep discus and really love the look of them. Could i put a Senegalus Bichir and Delhezi with them. I have been researching for more than 3 weeks and i don't know if this would be safe. Any thoughts?

If this is possible i am in the US and would like to get the email of the guy who can ship anywhere in the US. I am 15 years old and have been keeping fish for 5 years. I currently keep discus successfully which is no easy feat. I am confident i can raise these great creatures

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back