Another Prehistoric Monster!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gasmask

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yesterday, I got back from collecting my new beast.

50cm Wild PO. Bichir Bichir Turkana!
This is 1 of only 15 know pieces in captivity!
Fish is male, and has a bit of a bad attitude. The original owners moved it into a viewing tank for me to look at the other day, and when I collected it today they told me it beat the crap out of everything in the tank last night!
I'm hoping this was a freak moment of aggression, as whatever tank I put it in has valuable fish in.

One of it's finlets is torn on the softer membrane part, I hope that will heal (I guess it will) I was going to use this to get the price down, but turns out I din't need to say anything, it had already been reduced for me by ¥100,000!
Still cost a bomb, but it always goes down well with the wife when a "discount" is involved...

Anyway heres some pics: (It has dropped all markings and color is paler since being bagged and transported)

1z557qa.jpg

2rgj320.jpg

1z353j9.jpg

2w4jy46.jpg

2zgc5dy.jpg

Thanks for looking.
I will update this post as it settles in the tank and colors up.
It is in the tank with a much younger, smaller Captive Bred Bichir Bichir that I hope to attempt breeding in the future!

not sure if its my pc but I can;t see pics which is a shame as I;m dying to see it!!

its working now!!! thats a beautiful bichir!! I love the longer snout

Good find, would be interesting to see the whole set-up!

good pics Gasmask, as above, would love to see the whole set up. :good:

A from above pic of the new PBB next to my monster Endli.
Though they are almost the same length (PBB is 51cm, Endli is 54-55cm), they have a HUGE girth and head size difference!

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

Putting some weight, and color on now!
IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

Lovely fish mate. Always get jealous when I see some of your collection, and the fish that seem to be available over there compared to here. Viewing your pictures got me to buying some of my own, currently have;

2x Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri (Roughly 6 inches)
3x Polypterus senegalus (about 7")
1x Ornate (About 12")
1x Polypterus palmas (about 8")

They will all be going in a massive tank with other oddballs and hopefully a lot more Bichirs. I can only dream of your collection though unfortunately. Going to upload a few of my pics now actually. Good stuff mate.

Lovely fish mate. Always get jealous when I see some of your collection, and the fish that seem to be available over there compared to here. Viewing your pictures got me to buying some of my own, currently have;

1x Ornate (About 12")

They will all be going in a massive tank with other oddballs and hopefully a lot more Bichirs. I can only dream of your collection though unfortunately. Going to upload a few of my pics now actually. Good stuff mate.

Just sold my 2 congicus's (largest was 17/18inch) and 1 lapredei, only have 1 weeksii and ornate left now after 1 lap made it to the floor and the senegal ended up being a snack for the ray :(

1x Ornate (About 12")

Just sold my 2 congicus's (largest was 17/18inch) and 1 lapredei, only have 1 weeksii and ornate left now after 1 lap made it to the floor and the senegal ended up being a snack for the ray :(

Time to restock some more then!

A new bill is about to pass that is making it a legal requirement for all large tank fishkeepers to have AT LEAST 5 Bichirs per tank.

Thats amazing, I've never really though much of people keeping "Prehistoric" fish. It's awafully tempting given my love of monsters :p

Some more pics of the new guy and his buddies:

Colors really coming out now
IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

Big Wild caught Bichir Bichir "Turkana" with smaller captive bred Bichir Bichir "Turkana"
IMG_1839.JPG

WC PBB
IMG_1856.JPG

CB PBB
IMG_1853.JPG

Young 14" WC Congicus
IMG_1833.JPG

56cm WC Endlicheri Endlicheri
IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

Big Boss Black Arowana watches over them
IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

More pics!

These are some pics of a few of my Juvenile Ancient fish that I am growing out:

2x 5" CB Ansorgii (Kamihata F1 breed)
IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

2x 5" CB Endlicheri Endlicheri (paler one is mass farm bred, the darker is "Dory-K" F1 premium breed)
IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

3x CB Senegalus (2x 4" normal, 1x 3" Super shortbody Albino)
IMG_1165.JPG

5" Weeksii
IMG_1052.JPG

9" Ornatipiniis (replacing my old 19" that passed away)
IMG_1125.JPG

2" Peacock bass (unknown variant)
IMG_1105.JPG

5" Spotted (though more likely a Florida) Gar (When fully grown will go in with my other 6 Gars)
IMG_1739.JPG

Thanks for looking, loads more fish but I have run out of photographic energy lol!

Most reactions

trending

Back