5Ft Tank Build

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Alasse said:
I'm sure water gets between them, hasnt caused any issues though so far.

I silicone it the best i can, mainly to prevent fish from getting behind rather than water
smile.png
Ok thank you so much for that advice, My background and the sides fit tight there is no way a blade of grass could get behind it let alone a betta. The bottom is under the gravel level the top is level with the tank.

Once again thanks for the help and sorry for kind of hijacking your thread, Your advice will also come in handy to others who want a 3d background.

All changed lol It got the better of me

I've finally run outta plants lol So yep i pulled the fake ones back in as fillers until i can get some more live ones. Will grab a pic later

Some time today this tank will be fully pulled down & substrate replaced. I will be kept fairly minimal decor wise as the goldies will be moving in

Update: Substrate is out and tank is currently draining. Once its empty will give it a wipe over and start washing new substrate thats going in.....then i can do the scape and get the tank running again tomorrow. Until then the goldies will stay in their makeshift home obviously.
I will also be removing the green tubing and replacing it with a clear tubing so it is not as noticeable coming through the background, i will also be filling in the gaps around them as i just spent 30 min catching the BGK from behind the background lol

Oh and i since found out the light has again done the on/off switch, so it will have to go back to my mate to have the switch removed so it will just turn off and on with the timer. So pinched the 4ft light back off the 6ft (which now has no light lol) so i can see what i am doing lol

The goldies are now in residence....The tank will be cloudy for a few day i suspect. i washed washed washed the new substrate...but yeah, obviously not enough lol. The goldies will ruffle through it bringing it to cloudy heaven i am sure lol. I'll pull the canister off it later today and give it a clean and replace the floss, that should sort it out

I ended up using some grey fluval hose i had sitting here to replace the outlets, and black foam around it to seal, not that the goldies could get the big selves behind there but being goldies ya cant say impossible

I\ll be chasing some more orandas for the tank i think. Bluey still has not developed a wen, so he may be either traded or moved out of the display tank, though i have become somewhat attached to the big boof

Pic of the new layout. Goldies are loving the extra length....

5ft%2024th%20Mar%202015%201a.jpg

That's beautiful!  I can't wait to see when the plants grow in a little more.

Great choice on the plants, btw.  Obviously with goldies, having rooted plants is a serious problem.

If you don't mind me asking, what's a wen?

The tank looks gorgeous! I've developed a love for Anubias, mine has finally started up.

eaglesaquarium said:
That's beautiful!  I can't wait to see when the plants grow in a little more.

Great choice on the plants, btw.  Obviously with goldies, having rooted plants is a serious problem.
Thank you.

These guys arent too bad with rooted plants.....but plants in the substrate make cleaning it hard, so i opted for none this time and all plants tied to wood or rock

LyraGuppi said:
If you don't mind me asking, what's a wen?

The tank looks gorgeous! I've developed a love for Anubias, mine has finally started up.
Thank you anubias is my favourite plant!

The wen is the oranda head growth
smile.png

Alasse said:
Pic of the new layout. Goldies are loving the extra length....

5ft%2024th%20Mar%202015%201a.jpg
Now this I like a lot, I love the way you hid the outlet to the filter

Thanks....was an easy fix, and it had been bothering me for ages lol The side you can see the bit of tubing is where the heater and a powerhead are. The other side where you can only see the dark hole is the filter outlet

The side you can see the bit of tubing is where the heater
For gold fish? I was led to believe that they dont need heaters.

At 1 stage I wanted 5 or 6 goldies like you have in my charity project ( 100 gallons ) and was led to believe that the tank was a bit small because they grow big like 2 foot and that they are messy fish and you need a big filter etc, that they are best suited to ponds. Was I misinformed?

Many fancy goldfish need a heated tank. Mine are kept at 25-26C, they also usually are kept with bristlenose, though i have chosen not to in this tank as i now have the 5ft grow out and the 4ft angel tank i can use if needed. They do however have some native shrimp living in with them as a clean up crew.

The standard for fancy goldfish in regards to tank size is 20gal for the first and 10gal for every additional, so this 93gal tank can hold 8 fancy goldfish, i currently have 6 in there, i could do 9, but that is technically overstocked. (and chances are i will lol)

The standard for common goldfish is 30gal for the first and 20gal for every additional, personally i believe they belong in ponds only.

Goldfish are dirty i spose, i do 90% WC weekly to keep nitrates under control, and the canister should be cleaned monthly, or if you are like me and do it when it slows down (and by then its feral, fair warning!!)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back