justanotherbloodparrot
New Member
Hello everyone. I have done quite a bit of research on this and I'm confused on what to do going forward, with my pleco in particular.
Let me give some background on my tank:
- 60gal breeder
- pothos on back, plants in sand
- bubble wall, AC110 HOB, and two sponge filters rated 100gal+
- perimeters are perfect
Got a BP cichlid and rubberlip pleco on 5/31. This is the first photo I took of the pleco. Looking back at it now, I can see some faint white spotting.
This photo was taken a 2.5 days after getting them. She finally came out of hiding. At this point, I was panic Googling. I raised temps slightly at this time. BP cichlid was fine.
This was two days afterwards. I understand how ich works, so I didn't expect the infection to be gone, and I know this stage, if ich, was just temporary until the supposed explosing.
The morning after that photo was taken, my BP had bright spots on his fins. I was waiting on ich-x still. Started meds one week exactly after getting them. The spots have entirely disappeared on my BP cichlid. Both are actually pretty active still.
The following photo is one day after treatment.
Two days into treatment of ich-x, my BP cichlid is better! Completely rid of spots. However the same can't be said about my pleco. There has been minimal improvement with her, and the white spots have came back. This was her less than an hour ago.
I've circled the spots I'm most worried about, plus her lack of response to the treatment. It worries me. Maybe epistylis secondary to the infection of ich?
I have a 5.5 gallon from a betta last year that I've had sitting around. I can absolutely set up a QT for her. Obviously will treat the DT with ich-x for 72hrs. I have Kanaplex lying around, too.
Should I move her to a more controlled environment and treat with a combo of ich-x and kanaplex? Thanks.
Let me give some background on my tank:
- 60gal breeder
- pothos on back, plants in sand
- bubble wall, AC110 HOB, and two sponge filters rated 100gal+
- perimeters are perfect
Got a BP cichlid and rubberlip pleco on 5/31. This is the first photo I took of the pleco. Looking back at it now, I can see some faint white spotting.
This photo was taken a 2.5 days after getting them. She finally came out of hiding. At this point, I was panic Googling. I raised temps slightly at this time. BP cichlid was fine.
This was two days afterwards. I understand how ich works, so I didn't expect the infection to be gone, and I know this stage, if ich, was just temporary until the supposed explosing.
The morning after that photo was taken, my BP had bright spots on his fins. I was waiting on ich-x still. Started meds one week exactly after getting them. The spots have entirely disappeared on my BP cichlid. Both are actually pretty active still.
The following photo is one day after treatment.
Two days into treatment of ich-x, my BP cichlid is better! Completely rid of spots. However the same can't be said about my pleco. There has been minimal improvement with her, and the white spots have came back. This was her less than an hour ago.
I've circled the spots I'm most worried about, plus her lack of response to the treatment. It worries me. Maybe epistylis secondary to the infection of ich?
I have a 5.5 gallon from a betta last year that I've had sitting around. I can absolutely set up a QT for her. Obviously will treat the DT with ich-x for 72hrs. I have Kanaplex lying around, too.
Should I move her to a more controlled environment and treat with a combo of ich-x and kanaplex? Thanks.

If one combines QTing with a properly stocked med supply, they’re sure to be better off.






