FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi! This is my first “log” for my workout journal.

So a little back story: I have always been super skinny and I want to change that. In fact, I have been made fun of because I am super skinny.

So here I my plan. (Not really sure on all of it yet but I’ll update as I go)

Daily: (basic)

80 pushups
25 chin-ups
10 pull-ups
2 mile run (on gravel road)
50 sit-ups (Or crunches)
Multiple 1 min. planks
And last but not least, at least 30 min. a day on the TotalGym. (For anyone who doesn’t know what a TotalGym is, it’s this: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...=2ahUKEwi1wrrO9KrtAhUIrJ4KHdGwBsQQ0Qx6BAgeEAE)

I’m also doing all of this to get me motivated; I spend a lot of time on electronics a day and I know (but don’t want to admit) it’s not healthy.

——-

Eating:

Obviously stoped eating sodas, candy, sweets, etc.

High protein meals only: eggs for breakfast..... not sure about the other meals yet. My mom fixes all the meals (except breakfast) so it’s not like I can really say “Uh, no...”.

If the meals don’t provide me with at least 91g of protein* per day, then I will make it up somehow. (With shakes - not those weird protein shakes, but homemade shakes)

———

*I did the math and 91g of protein was the recommended amount of protein per day, for someone my age/height/weight.

——-

I would already consider myself fit and athletic, but I want mass/muscle.

——

First “log” will be logged at the end of the day, after all meals. Because today is my first day it will be a little bit relaxed.

Im not going to be working out 7 days a week. It will probably be only 3-4 days a week. I go to work on Wednesday and that’s tough work, so not then. And also not on Sunday or Saturday.

It will probably end up being Monday, Thursday, and Friday.

Here again, not sure on anything yet...

So a little back story: I have always been super skinny and I want to change that. In fact, I have been made fun of because I am super skinny.

80 pushups
25 chin-ups
10 pull-ups
50 sit-ups (Or crunches)
Multiple 1 min. planks
And last but not least, at least 30 min. a day on the TotalGym. (For anyone who doesn’t know what a TotalGym is, it’s this: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...=2ahUKEwi1wrrO9KrtAhUIrJ4KHdGwBsQQ0Qx6BAgeEAE)

I’m also doing all of this to get me motivated; I spend a lot of time on electronics a day and I know (but don’t want to admit) it’s not healthy.

——-

Eating:

High protein meals only: eggs for breakfast..... not sure about the other meals yet. My mom fixes all the meals (except breakfast) so it’s not like I can really say “Uh, no...”.

If the meals don’t provide me with at least 91g of protein* per day, then I will make it up somehow. (With shakes - not those weird protein shakes, but homemade shakes)

———

*I did the math and 91g of protein was the recommended amount of protein per day, for someone my age/height/weight.

——-

——

First “log” will be logged at the end of the day, after all meals. Because today is my first day it will be a little bit relaxed.

Im not going to be working out 7 days a week. It will probably be only 3-4 days a week. I go to work on Wednesday and that’s tough work, so not then. And also not on Sunday or Saturday.

Haha how did you read my mind? I’ve been lacking motivation too, perhaps too much screen time. (lol can you spend to much time looking at fish related things?) I think it’s important to take care of ourselves when we’re young, so we don’t have regrets about what we could have done later. Remember to do it for yourself, and not because of what other people have told you. :lol:

Looks good except for the running on gravel. It’s an accident waiting to happen, not to mention it can tear your muscles and tendons in your legs and feet. Could also put undo pressure in your back and neck. Look for a track or asphalt road to run on. Good luck! :)

I box and have coached boxing for the past 5 years and for somebody super skinny as you say I would say eat ... no matter doesn’t matter if it’s soda , chips , burgers just eat , all foood has relevant nutrients and fat is good yiur body needs fat and sugar , honestly I’d start by gaining a few pounds by any means then work out from there , if yiur body is naturally skinny your body needs the fat to burn to increase muscles mass

80 pushups
25 chin-ups
10 pull-ups
50 sit-ups (Or crunches)
Multiple 1 min. planks

——-

Eating:

———

——-

——

All I'd say is start small. Everyone has great plans on what they want to achieve with exercising. The way I started was to just go for a short run, maybe 3 miles or so. On the first workout don't be surprised if you can barely even do 2 pushups and nothing more. You will get better and better at it as your muscles slowly start to build. Also, you will have seriously sore muscles for the first few time. Don't let that put you off though!

Looks good except for the running on gravel. It’s an accident waiting to happen, not to mention it can tear your muscles and tendons in your legs and feet. Could also put undo pressure in your back and neck. Look for a track or asphalt road to run on. Good luck! :)
This is a topic of endless debate, and it seems to depend a lot on the runner. I actually hurt myself much less running on technical trails in minimalist shoes than I do running on pavement. It's what we're designed to do. Asphalt beats the daylights out of me. As long as he keeps his head in the game, he'll mostly likely be fine. :)

This is a topic of endless debate, and it seems to depend a lot on the runner. I actually hurt myself much less running on technical trails in minimalist shoes than I do running on pavement. It's what we're designed to do. Asphalt beats the daylights out of me. As long as he keeps his head in the game, he'll mostly likely be fine. :)
I’m talking from a medical standpoint. Most accidents we received were done on asphalt. Long term it can impact the soles of your feet and contribute to neuropathy in them later in life.

Last edited:
I box and have coached boxing for the past 5 years and for somebody super skinny as you say I would say eat ... no matter doesn’t matter if it’s soda , chips , burgers just eat , all foood has relevant nutrients and fat is good yiur body needs fat and sugar , honestly I’d start by gaining a few pounds by any means then work out from there , if yiur body is naturally skinny your body needs the fat to burn to increase muscles mass
I totally agree. Calories need to be increased first to build muscle. Carbs are essential for energy. Otherwise, you are going to end up burning the little fat you do have and will be skin and bones. Perhaps speak with a trainer first.

First off, good for you for wanting to be fit and healthy. :)

All kids, and yes I consider you a kid because compared to us old farts, you are just out of diapers. All kids are skinny (or should be) until they turn into fat lazy adults like myself. Thanks covid for helping me look like Jabba the Hut.

All young people have a higher metabolism than old people and you burn off calories much easier. As you get older (30+) your metabolism slows down and you start to gain weight. This can be countered to some degree by regular exercise and eating a balanced diet. So don't worry about being skinny now, because that is, or at least should be normal.

Unfortunately, modern tv shows and society are making fat the norm and we just accept it as normal. But it isn't normal for humans, or any animal to be overweight, and we shouldn't be encouraging it. We need to accept that humans have become lazy and we need to change our views on what we eat and how we get around.

Look at television shows from before the 1990s, you rarely saw a fat person because the human race wasn't fat back then. It's only in the last 30 years that the human race (mainly those living in western society) has turned into sedentary blobs.

Back in the day when us old folk were young, we were all skinny too. As we got older, 30+, we started to gain a bit of weight but it was nothing like today. Slim is normal, young people should be slim, not skin and bones, but not fat either.

--------------------
If you want to gain muscle mass, you need to do weight bearing exercises. The things you listed are great for being fit and having a good strong heart, but you need to do weights or some sort of weight bearing exercise to build muscle.

You don't need a high meat/ protein diet to build muscle. My brother in law did weights and was built like Arnold Schwarzenegger and my brother in law is a vegan. He has no animal products in his diet. The old school thought of body building said you need a high protein diet and that is not true. I did weights and body building when I was a cyclist and I had a normal diet that contained meat, veges, fruit, cereals. I didn't cram meat or eggs. I just had a normal diet and did lots of exercise, and my legs used to make baggy pants look like skin tight jeans.

--------------------
The exercise program you listed will get you fit but won't build much muscle. You will also plateau after a couple of months and this means you won't get any fitter. Plateauing is where the body gets the same amount of exercise on a regular basis and accepts it as normal. The body then stays at that fitness level and does not improve.

To overcome this plateauing effect, you need to vary the exercises and continually increase the amount you do. Basically you exercise until you feel tired and don't just stop after x amount of push ups or chin ups.
eg: Monday you do 50 push up. Tuesday you do 40, Wednesday you do 60, Thursday 50, Friday 20, Saturday 80. Or something like that.

This stops the body accepting 50 push ups as normal and keeps it working at peak efficiency.

The same deal with walking, jogging, running or cycling. You try to do different distances each time you go out. Some days you walk, jog on flat surfaces with no hills. Other days you go up and down a few hills. Try to add a few short (30-60 second) sprints to the walk, jog, cycle.

Vary the exercises and distances you do. Then you won't have a plateau and you will continue to gain weight (muscle mass not fat) and fitness.

You don't have to exercise every day and 3 times a week (or more if you can) is sufficient to help you remain healthy. However, if you can exercise every day, your body will develop a routine and after a few months of this routine, you will want to exercise more and be less likely to drop the program. Start off with 3 or 4 times a week and try to increase it as you can.

--------------------
I completely agree with Deanasue about running on gravel or any slippery surface. If you have to jog or run over these surfaces, or any surface for that matter, make sure you have proper running shoes with an inch or more of cushioning in the souls. Even then, I would not recommend running on gravel, especially if it's loose.

There's a reason why most professional runners have their knees replaced when they are 30 years old, running does damage joints, and the harder the surface and more uneven the surface, the more damage it does. Also the longer distances do more damage.

If you have some grass or beach sand to run on, that is less damaging to the joints than hard surfaces like rock, concrete or bitumen.

Swimming is good for the body or even just walking around in waist deep water. Water has a lot more resistance than air and it takes a lot more effort to move through water. Water also reduces the impact on our joints because most people natural float.

If you want to build leg muscle, use a bike. My legs were the envy of the gym when I was cycling. There were guys that could push 200+kg with their legs and they spent hours working out to try and get them huge. Mine were bigger and it annoyed the hell out of them. They used to ask what I did to build my legs up and I said cycle. I cycled to work, I walked around all day at work, then cycled home the long way.

If you get an exercise bike, you can sit down in front of the tv or computer and cycle while playing games or surfing the net. It's a low impact exercise that you can do indoors when it's raining, snowing, or 40C (100F) outside.

The main thing is to enjoy the exercise and do it because it's fun and because you want to. Over time your body will change and you will naturally gain weight. Until then, don't worry about being skinny. I would love to be the same weight I was when I was 18.

I’m talking from a medical standpoint. Most accidents we received were done on asphalt. Long term it can impact the soles of your feet and contribute to neuropathy in them later in life.
I may try to run on grass then. :good:

But isn’t soda and chips and stuff like that still bad?

All I'd say is start small. Everyone has great plans on what they want to achieve with exercising. The way I started was to just go for a short run, maybe 3 miles or so. On the first workout don't be surprised if you can barely even do 2 pushups and nothing more. You will get better and better at it as your muscles slowly start to build. Also, you will have seriously sore muscles for the first few time. Don't let that put you off though!
Oh I’ve been doing push-ups a lot over the past year. I used to be able to do 55 push-ups in a row, but I’ve lagged off... I can usually do 25-35 in a row now and I rep those.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back