FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Trying to decide which pellet to buy for my Betta. One requirement is that it floats. I found this one by Cobalt. Wondering what you betta experts think of the ingredient list. Up till now (betta just 12 days old) I've been feeding flake, freeze dried bloodworms, and occasional frozen brine shrimp. I need a pellet for daily feeding. I also have freeze dried daphnia I could feed.

Here is ingredient list for the cobalt betta pellet:

Cobalt Ultra Betta Pellets

Made with 100% all-natural ingredients and fortified with both pre and probiotics, Cobalt's new Ultra Betta pellets are the pinnacle of nutrition for your betta. These perfectly sized, floating pellets provide a well rounded diet that will keep your betta in top form and color. Sold in a convenient dispensary pack that makes feeding the perfect amount just a shake away!

Ingredients
Sword prawn, dried spirulina algae, dried kelp, dried seaweed, whole corn, jumbo squid meal, japanese anchovy filets, sardine filets, torpedo scad filets, whole garlic, three spot swimming crab, soybean meal, brewers dried yeast, wheat germ, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of stabilized vitamin C), vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, fructooligosaccharides, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, dried Pediococcus pentosaceus fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein - MIN 41%
Crude Fat - MIN 2.4%
Crude Fiber - MAX 5.0%
Moisture - MAX 5.0%
Phosphorus - MIN 0.8%
Total Microorganisms - MIN 1,000,000 colony forming units B. subtilis and B. lichenformis

Last edited:
That sounds good. If you YouTube, “What I feed my bettas from fry to adult.” She will give you a complete list of food. I hope this helps. :)

one question I have is if this is too large for a fairly young betta...it is 1.3mm each... If you have betta pellet experience what do you use for young bettas or what do you recommend?

I would cut them in half with a clean, sharp knife. That is what I did when I had a baby betta fish. :)

That sounds like a bit of a pain cutting such a tiny pellet in half. Was hoping to buy a tiny size pellet that won't require making it smaller. But I want it to float...too many pellets out there sink too quickly and the betta won't chase after it.

I ended up ordering Northfin brand betta pellets. Ingredient list looked good and it is 45% protein which is good for a betta . Will occasionally feed bloodworms, freeze dried and frozen brine shrimp, daphnia, and flake.

Anyone here ever feed this to your Betta?

Northfin Betta Pellets
Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, High Omega-3 (DHA) Herring Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Wheat Flour, Kelp, Spirulina, Garlic, Astaxanthin (Haematococcus Algae), Calcium Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamin A Acetate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphospate (Source of Vitamin C), D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), DL Alphatocopherol (E), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Selenium, Zinc.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (Min) : 45%
Crude Fat (Min): 16%
Crude Fiber (Max): 4%
Moisture (Max): 9%
Ash (Max): 10%

Last edited:
The first food you mentioned (Cobalt Ultra Betta Pellets) seems to be better suited to vegetarian fishes with all the plant/ algae in it. It has grains in that fish can't digest. Plus I don't think fish need Lactobacillus bacteria in their intestine.

The Northfin brand betta pellets, appear to have better ingredients, although wheat flour (used as a binder) is useless for fish and I have concerns about why they have cobalt in the food.

Found online

Cobalt
Cobalt (Co) is a key component of vitamin B12, also commonly referred to as cobalamin (although more correctly Vitamin B12 may be taken to refer to a group of cobalt-containing vitamer compounds known as cobalamins).”

I use Northfin betta pellets. Of all the betta food I could find in the UK, this one had the best ingredients.
I used to have Atisons, but the formula is not as good (fish meals, cereal meals, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservative)

I use Northfin betta pellets. Of all the betta food I could find in the UK, this one had the best ingredients.
I used to have Atisons, but the formula is not as good (fish meals, cereal meals, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservative)
Yay.. so I researched and found a good one...Northfin. Northfin is a company that was started in 2015 so it is relatively new.

I ordered it yesterday.
If essjay is using it, it must be good!

Essjay: is it small enough for a young Betta and does it float? And most importantly, does your Betta love eating it?

I've only had the Northfin pellets since September last year. The betta I had then ate them straight away. He died in January, and my new betta had problems at first with dry pellets, both Northfin and Atisons. He had no problems at all if I soaked them for a few minutes first, but now he eats dry pellets. Maybe they were a bit big for him when I first got him as he's grown since then.

Northfin pellets do float. He usually gobbles them straight away, though the odd one that drifts into the plants does sink after a couple of minutes - then he spots it and chases after it.
With pre-soaked pellets, I used a pipette to lay them gently onto the surface. They do sink faster than dry pellets but a typical betta will eat them within a few seconds.

I keep the Northfin pellets in an old Atisons tub. This is a small white pot with a blue lid. As soon as my current betta sees the pot he rushes to the surface and waits for his pellets, pouncing as soon as they hit the water. If this means he enjoys them, he certainly seems to.

Summer is upon us and it is pretty easy to find or raise mosquito larvae. Just put a five gallon bucket of water outside someplace where it will get sun for half the day. Within a month you'll have them. You should get a good crop for at least two months in northern areas. Your Betta will love you for this.

Summer is upon us and it is pretty easy to find or raise mosquito larvae. Just put a five gallon bucket of water outside someplace where it will get sun for half the day. Within a month you'll have them. You should get a good crop for at least two months in northern areas. Your Betta will love you for this.

but won't that attract Mosquitos to your yard...not good for when you want to sit out in your yard.....plus debris getting in bucket would have to be separated

Any small amount of debris settles out and also feeds micro organisms. Take a look at this water under a microscope. Infusoria city. As for attracting mosquitoes. Hmmm... Could or could not be a problem. One bucket out by the back gate couldn't be too much bother. Be careful of that water though. I found hydra in it once. I had no idea that could happen.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back