April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

So do I... but, how did our grand-parents manage cycle and fish maintenance without all this sophistication ?

That's an interesting question. Let's see if google is our friend on the history of home fish keeping.

Edit: Look it up guys the history is there.

Last edited:
My first tank was a cast-off from Woolworth's in downtown Chicago, sold to me by a LFS (I'd very much like to see the place again, but it's too dangerous of a locale right now). The tank was an early design (1960ish I think) composed of glass plates held together by pitch, a steel support frame and a slate bottom, which I didn't understand at the time. I wish that I hadn't let it get away. At 30g it would have made a good QT. The brits and German's have played a huge role in advancing the hobby.

Our era of fish keeping started with electricity becoming an increasingly common resource after WWI. The idea of keeping fish in general may have started as far back as the Roman era, though that's subject to some disagreement.

Thanks to Avel1896, for sparking historical interest in a hobby I've spent so much time and money chasing.

My first tank was a cast-off from Woolworth's in downtown Chicago, sold to me by a LFS (I'd very much like to see the place again, but it's too dangerous of a locale right now). The tank was an early design (1960ish I think) composed of glass plates held together by pitch, a steel support frame and a slate bottom, which I didn't understand at the time. I wish that I hadn't let it get away. At 30g it would have made a good QT. The brits and German's have played a huge role in advancing the hobby.

Our era of fish keeping started with electricity becoming an increasingly common resource after WWI. The idea of keeping fish in general may have started as far back as the Roman era, though that's subject to some disagreement.

Thanks to Avel1896, for sparking historical interest in a hobby I've spent so much time and money chasing.
If you want to be really technical, fishkeeping has been a thing for thousands of years, i.e. koi ponds in Asia. It's not a fish tank but I'd say fish being kept in a captive setting for purely ornamental reasons counts regardless of what type of enclosure they're in.

If you want to be really technical, fishkeeping has been a thing for thousands of years, i.e. koi ponds in Asia. It's not a fish tank but I'd say fish being kept in a captive setting for purely ornamental reasons counts regardless of what type of enclosure they're in.

Sure, if you want to split hairs. I however see "fish keeping" as just that, not someone in proximity to fish that they think are cute and decide not to eat. When it's 35 below outside, and mere feet from my tank, and critical support services are pumping away to keep my fish people alive, I know I'm an aquarist\ fish keeper for sure.

Last edited:
I just meant that our "ancients" succeeded without any sophistication, very few losses, but much patience.

A decent assessment as well, Avel.

Edit: BTW, I was scratching my face off trying trying not to turn your response into a debate. I'm a nice brother, right? ;)

Last edited:
Ok, I did some reading on copper. What you are doing is poisoning the parasites, and the fish, but since the fish are in most cases more resilient the parasite dies first. It is super hard to use for treatment, and I have my doubts as to if that weak fish could outlast such a large organism. Unless Colin comes up with something, I'd put the fish out of its misery.
I'm not sure if it's even still being manufactured but years ago I used to use this broad spectrum medication called Coppersafe. But I only had an ornamental Goldfish tank. And I was treating Ick. And like I said, it was a lot of years ago.

its difficult to see how deep inside the gills it goes, and it is EXACTLY the same thing i posted earlier, the "tentacles" close and end up looking like on the original pictures, then periodically open up and wave about for a few seconds before closing up again - please watch the animated GIF on the first post on this thread and all will become clear!
It kind of reminds me of the coral like things that open out like that and "sift" through the water for macroscopic food and bring it into the center opening(mouth). But I know this is a freshwater fish and corals are saltwater. This post is just a thought I had. Believe me, I know nothing to help with this situation. I just hope this little guy will be ok.

Fuplie -

A year or two ago, a member of the forum made a post about guppies. But her phone's autocorrect did not recognise the word "guppy" and substituted the word "fuplie" in its place. The member did not notice the substitution and the word "fuplie" appeared in the post.
Since then the word fuplie has been used as an alternative to a swear word, or to express frustration.
Good to know. I would have been scratching my head and doing searches on the word, and getting no where.

Watch the initial video, now watch this

Looks exactly the same to me. Only in the case they are infected odontodes and the pleco flaring them in annoyance/pain... Exact same placement, exact same shape. Exact same flaring, I don't see any mysterious tentacle creature
The difference i see here is the absence of the white cottony material that was on the sick fishes gills.

It's interesting tho, isn't it :)

Stay tuned for the next amazing chapter in "What the fuplie is this on my fish?"
I think we should have a forum called "What the fuplie is this on my fish?"

Interesting discussion. I'm still not convinced that thing is part of the fish. It will haunt my dreams.

Regardless, I gotta admit, this is one of the more fascinating/interesting/unique threads I've ever read in 8+ years of fishkeeping...and of having plecos that long, of my own
You said it right. This was/is an exciting thread. I sure would like to know of the diagnosis and treatment and if the little guy gets better. I only have a male Betta and am cycling a nano cherry shrimp tank now. I was going to put them in with my Toshi(Betta) but I changed my mind just in case Toshi doesn't want tankmates. I'm not trying to make Toshi mad or shrimp fearing for their little lives.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back