Wall-Mounted Nano Build

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Here is pic of the tank as of this morning.  Plain well water, (you can see the air bubbles from settling) and I am taking readings on the water just to ensure that nothing has changed from the last time I changed water in my display tank.

You can see the homemade hood taking shape finally. It has 'rests' built on for the lighting system (which is on order) and will also help to secure the tank from the rear where it is inset into the wall.  

20150227_072635_resized.jpg

Later this summer (if it ever warms up again...) I will get out to the shop and build a better hood from cedar planks, and finish trimming out the rest of tank in cedar slats to compliment it.

It is hard to tell, but the back and a few inches on each side of the tank have been painted black now, thanks to LyraGuppi's suggestion.  This will hide the details of the inside of the wall, as well as provide a more suitable backdrop for a (hopefully) stunning Betta.  Here is a better picture showing the black paint extending partially up one side of the tank.  Note - this will not visible from outside once the tank is fully enclosed and framed around.

20150227_101141_resized.jpg

Depending on how the next few hours go, I may head over to the LFS for some substrate!

I love the look of the tank hood. I am glad you did not sand it smooth. My LFS guy gave me the idea of painting the back of the tank black.

The black background is looking great, so I am glad I found out about (from you and Lyra) as well!

Guess I should do an update as well!
  1. Substrate is in.  That stuff is murky!
  2. Decent bit of Mopani in!
  3. Filter is in (using media from the display tank)!
  4. Heater is in!
Next up is getting some plants and watching the water params for a few days.

Well, I am not happy this morning.  After the water clearing up, you can really see how 'crowded' that tank looks already. 
noexpression.gif

The Fluval internal filter I picked out looks like a prominent centerpiece in the tank, which is not what I was going for.  The dimensions of the filter were grossly misrepresented and while the filter itself works great, I am just not please with how noticeable it is.  I am going to take some time this morning to try and rescape what I have so far and see what I can come up with.

Keep your fingers crossed, this is my first tank this small and I am getting depressed and feeling down about it already.  
sad1.gif

sad1.gif

sad1.gif

I did a little rescaping hoping to make it a bit better, but it still feels a bit off right now.  Maybe I am just over thinking things?

Due to a little fiasco with a filter yesterday in the 60gal, I had some prime seeding material to start off the new filter.  I guess everything really does happen for a reason!

The tank is full, has a bit of aquascaping (though poorly done), T5 lights are set on top until I can mount them properly and the heater is working it little elements off to get the temp to stabilize.  Now, I will start monitoring the cycle to see how she moves along.

First reading of water params today was confusing right out of the gate, so I am going to go ahead and run those again soon.

I will get some pics up soon...

The readings are not making much sense to me right now.  I am currently showing:
  • pH - 7.6
  • Ammonia - 0.25 ppm
  • Nitrite - 0 ppm
  • Nitrate - 40 ppm
I was not expecting any amounts of ammonia or nitrates at all...  Even with the new filter seeded from another tank, new substrate and new plants, I should have no ammonia right?  When I first saw it detected ammonia, I ran over and checked the tank I had seeded from and it is running a normal 0/0/20.  I am not sure how I got ammonia in the tank at all unless it came from the substrate or the plants, which is unlikely, right?

Anyways, here is a glimpse of what I am working with now.  What are your initial thoughts?
Nano-Cycling1.jpg

Thoughts:

*looks* WOW! That wood! So pretty!

I like it :p

Well, I have been watching the readings for a few days now.  Readings show the tank is fully cycled as of Day 2 (after seeding).  To keep everything kosher, I am going to dose ammonia today and watch the readings.  Fingers crossed!

Unless there was ammonia in your source water, not sure why that showed up initially. But the tank looks great! Nice job.

Gvilleguy said:
Unless there was ammonia in your source water, not sure why that showed up initially. But the tank looks great! Nice job.
I was chatting with another member and we believe it may have came from the substrate.  I did a quick search and seen other people posting about this particular substrate and "instant-cycles" when using it.  Not sure I believe all the hype per se, but cannot deny the results either (when using the seeding method).

And thanks!  First time doing planted and working with a tank this size so I am a bit paranoid!

Most reactions

trending

Back