Today I found out that my parents know nothing about cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I asked my parents for help because I want to set up a new betta tank. They've been keeping fish for years and currently own a community tank and a turtle tank. I said, "I'll have to wait like a month for it to cycle." They had no idea what I was talking about. They said they've never waited more than a day to put fish in a new tank. They mentioned floating the bag and treating the water, but I had to explain what cycling is. It's a betta tank, so maybe if I fill it with water from their bigger tanks I won't need to cycle.

I asked my parents for help because I want to set up a new betta tank. They've been keeping fish for years and currently own a community tank and a turtle tank. I said, "I'll have to wait like a month for it to cycle." They had no idea what I was talking about. They said they've never waited more than a day to put fish in a new tank. They mentioned floating the bag and treating the water, but I had to explain what cycling is. It's a betta tank, so maybe if I fill it with water from their bigger tanks I won't need to cycle.
The water from a cycled tank contains no significant amount of beneficial bacteria.

However, the filter media, and even deco and substrate, will contain some BB...it would be more prudent to add some of this to an uncycled tank, in order to speed the cycling process

The water from a cycled tank contains no significant amount of beneficial bacteria.

However, the filter media, and even deco and substrate, will contain some BB...it would be more prudent to add some of this to an uncycled tank, in order to speed the cycling process
So, adding the main tank water will do nothing? I'll add some of the stuff with good bacteria on it once I get the tank, I don't have it yet.

So, adding the main tank water will do nothing? I'll add some of the stuff with good bacteria on it once I get the tank, I don't have it yet.
As explained in at least two of your other threads, the beneficial bacteria don't live in the water. They live on filter media and on surfaces like the substrate, tank walls, plants, decor etc.

How long have your parents been keeping fish? If it's a long time they've probably never heard of beneficial bacteria either.
It has also been noted that fish seem a lot more delicate these days. Fish farms are big business, they use any fish for breeding regardless of health and the fish are bred in less than healthy conditions. Result - unhealthy/deformed fish being sold at the store.

How long have your parents been keeping fish? If it's a long time they've probably never heard of beneficial bacteria either.
It has also been noted that fish seem a lot more delicate these days. Fish farms are big business, they use any fish for breeding regardless of health and the fish are bred in less than healthy conditions. Result - unhealthy/deformed fish being sold at the store.
Ever since I can remember, maybe before it.

Whoever thought breeding mills were a good idea needs to go straight to hell.

Ever since I can remember, maybe before it.

Whoever thought breeding mills were a good idea needs to go straight to hell.
The breeding establishments, in some cases, are listed on stock exchanges. The people taking the profits probably don't even know what the business is.

Hold on while I put on a bike helmet... your parents have had no reason whatsoever to know what a cycle is. If they have established tanks, things will operate well with no intervention. Aquarists were successfully keeping and even breeding fish before the cycling process had entered into anyone's consciousness. Rather than testing, there was a suggested procedure for slowly adding new fish, and slowly bringing the tank into full capacity. It worked, unless people rushed.

I haven't owned a test kit in 30 or so years, and haven't crashed a tank in that period. Slow but steady.

Getting a test kit can help people avoid the worst of their own impatience.

The breeding establishments, in some cases, are listed on stock exchanges. The people taking the profits probably don't even know what the business is.

Hold on while I put on a bike helmet... your parents have had no reason whatsoever to know what a cycle is. If they have established tanks, things will operate well with no intervention. Aquarists were successfully keeping and even breeding fish before the cycling process had entered into anyone's consciousness. Rather than testing, there was a suggested procedure for slowly adding new fish, and slowly bringing the tank into full capacity. It worked, unless people rushed.

I haven't owned a test kit in 30 or so years, and haven't crashed a tank in that period. Slow but steady.

Getting a test kit can help people avoid the worst of their own impatience.
I agree, the main reason I am testing now is to monitor nitrate - Both to see the best balance between a good environment for my fish, and reduce 50 gal water changes - and to see if my Riperians are having an effect on nitrate buildup. I know my ammonia and nitrate nitrite is zero so I rarely test anymore.

Last edited:
I know nothing about cycling either, I still don't get it. I don't understand fishless cycles. I don't know why you would want to sit and look at an empty tank for up to six weeks. So don't be surprised your parents don't get it either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back